Thread: improved extractor

Basic Member

improved extractor

Does anyone else make an improved extractor claw kit like Sharp Shooter Supply’s? I was going to order from them but their site doesn’t show if they are in stock. I emailed but no response yet.

Best place to get them would probably be Tactical Works as I know they get the bulk of them when Fred makes a batch. Problem is they usually sell out the same day they get a big batch in because they immediately announce they're back in-stock on their social media pages.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks. I subscribed so hopefully will get an email when back in stock.

Lisa at Tactical Works usually posts here in their Site Sponsor board when they get a shipment in as well.

Funniest part is most of the folks buying them don't need them, but they read somewhere on the interwebs that it's the end-all cure all to all Savage ejection problems so they buy one. Fred designed this kit to fix one specific problem with ejecting one specific cartridge, then somehow it morphed into this miracle kit. He shakes his head in disbelief every time the subject comes up.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Why is it that you feel you need one of these kits?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    To me the extractor itself made virtually no difference...it's the new ejector that lets it sling brass across the room.

So if you need a stronger ejection the kit is good?

Basic Member
    Was for me...the kit ejector is flat, protrudes further, and has a stronger spring behind it. I wish they just sold the ejector pieces and save a few bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Was for me...the kit ejector is flat, protrudes further, and has a stronger spring behind it. I wish they just sold the ejector pieces and save a few bucks...
    Yes, but depending on the cartridge that longer, flat-nosed ejector can cause problems rather than solve them. Just went through that very scenario with my short-action .284 Winchester. The flat-nose ejector was actually to long and the spring too stiff to let the rim push back into the bolt face, thus allowing it to jump up when it cleared the feed lips and jamb up my action.

Basic Member
    Works fine on my .223/.243/.308 12FVs, and a .223 Axis....but good to know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Why is it that you feel you need one of these kits?

I'll try and describe the issue as best I can with my Savage 11 6.5 Grendel conversion with PTG bolt head. Cases fit nice and tight in the bolt head. There is full engagement of the extractor claw on the case rim which pulls out the spent cartridge completely out of the chamber after firing. I have not had one that the claw failed to pull out of the chamber. However, during the ejection stroke, when the case is just about to clear the action cutout to be ejected, it'll simply just fall out of the bolt head and lay on top of the next round. This happens about 50% of the time. A quicker stroke to eject seems to help but it's happening enough to be annoying. This is happening with both Hornady and Lapua brass.

I have a few Savage rifles in different cartridges and have no ejection problems with them. The ejector spring seems week on some of them, but none have failed to eject a spent cartridge yet. Only the 6.5 Grendel has had this problem. Maybe it's because of the short fat case, but I do not remember having this issue with the 223 cases on this donor action. But then again the 223 case is 1.76" and the Grendel is 1.52" (.24" difference). Maybe that's enough to make a difference.

I'm hoping the longer claw on the SSS kit will help hang onto the cases just long enough to be ejected before falling out of the bolt head. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this with their Savage 6.5 Grendel conversion.

BTW, the kits are in stock. Lisa from SSS just emailed this morning and she received my order so the kit should be here soon. Hoping that cures the problem.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by s3silver View Post
    I'll try and describe the issue as best I can with my Savage 11 6.5 Grendel conversion with PTG bolt head. Cases fit nice and tight in the bolt head. There is full engagement of the extractor claw on the case rim which pulls out the spent cartridge completely out of the chamber after firing. I have not had one that the claw failed to pull out of the chamber. However, during the ejection stroke, when the case is just about to clear the action cutout to be ejected, it'll simply just fall out of the bolt head and lay on top of the next round. This happens about 50% of the time. A quicker stroke to eject seems to help but it's happening enough to be annoying. This is happening with both Hornady and Lapua brass.

I have a few Savage rifles in different cartridges and have no ejection problems with them. The ejector spring seems week on some of them, but none have failed to eject a spent cartridge yet. Only the 6.5 Grendel has had this problem. Maybe it's because of the short fat case, but I do not remember having this issue with the 223 cases on this donor action. But then again the 223 case is 1.76" and the Grendel is 1.52" (.24" difference). Maybe that's enough to make a difference.

I'm hoping the longer claw on the SSS kit will help hang onto the cases just long enough to be ejected before falling out of the bolt head. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this with their Savage 6.5 Grendel conversion.

BTW, the kits are in stock. Lisa from SSS just emailed this morning and she received my order so the kit should be here soon. Hoping that cures the problem.
    I had the same issue with my first factory 7.62x39 scout rifle (same case head as the Grendel) and the SSS extractor fixed the problem for me. I am now in the process of converting my 2nd 7.62x39 scout to 6.5 Grendel, and that bolt does not have the SSS extractor and it does exactly what you describe with 7.62x39 cases. I'll see how it handles the 6.5 Grendel and then decide whether to order another upgraded extractor from SSS. Most likely I will but this build will be mostly a range gun, so it's not as critical to me. Probably shouldn't have let the first one go when I sold that bolt head, but I was trying to be nice. LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I had the same issue with my first factory 7.62x39 scout rifle (same case head as the Grendel) and the SSS extractor fixed the problem for me. I am now in the process of converting my 2nd 7.62x39 scout to 6.5 Grendel, and that bolt does not have the SSS extractor and it does exactly what you describe with 7.62x39 cases. I'll see how it handles the 6.5 Grendel and then decide whether to order another upgraded extractor from SSS. Most likely I will but this build will be mostly a range gun, so it's not as critical to me. Probably shouldn't have let the first one go when I sold that bolt head, but I was trying to be nice. LOL

Excited to hear that fixed it for you. Can’t wait now...

S3silver, anxious to hear how it works for your Grendel.