View Poll Results: Rate your B-Series rifle experience based on build quality, reliability and overall satisfaction.

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (worst)

0 0%

1 2.56%
  • 3 (average)

4 10.26%

13 33.33%
  • 5 (best)

21 53.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B17, B22 and B22 Mag Customer Satisfaction Poll

Basic Member

Last night I rode along with the grandson to Scheels. I couldn't believe it! They actually had 2 B22's I could put my paws on. On both rifles the bolt lift was smooth , maybe just a slight hint of that scratchy sound on mine but nothing like mine. I'm going to have to get inside that bolt again on mine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JulioB22 View Post
    I bought the Butler Creek 25 round mag. (The A22 and B22 share the exact same mag) The one I received would push about 70% of the rounds straight into the bottom edge of the barrel chamber, so for me at least, It was a failure !..I returned it.

Julio, Thanks for that comment. I bought an A22 a few weeks ago and after a bit of fiddlin' got it shooting well, with a trigger ca. 3# or a bit less. A LGS had the 25-mags on sale (he's closing phys store) so I bought one. It works well in the A22 but as you said it drives some rounds into the bottom of the chamber. For me only about half or so. I just tested it Friday and I plan to experiment with 'building up' the ramp a tiny bit to avoid that while keeping it correct in the A22. I have 4 of the 10-round mags between the two guns, but the 25 just lets me shoot more w/o reloading. I've 'un-wound' the springs of those mags, too, so they're easier to load - I can do it one-handed if I want/need to. And I found the 25-mag has a 'sharp edge' on the Left side of the 'guide-channel' that I need to smooth a bit - I had to do that to all my 10-mags already. There's always something . . . I'll keep all advised.

I've had a new B17 BNS-SR for about 4 months now and have spent that time testing various ammo for group sizes. At 100 yds in wind conditions up to 10-12mph, my average is @ 1.25" with almost any HP, SP, or FMJ. Better than that in light/no wind, but that's the average in ALL conditions at 100yds.

It does NOT do as well with any plastic ballistic tip ammo and I've found Winchester 20 grain ammo to have quality issues including damaged cases and difficult chambering ..... I stopped trying to even test them.

I'm hoping to improve the average group size. I'm using a Vortex 18X, found that the trigger was adjusted at the lowest setting from the factory. It likes a clean bore. Any tips or observations from other B17 BNS-SR owners are appreciated.

I did have to torque the 2 action screws and the picatinney screws as they were snug from the factory but not tight.
    Last edited by Fisher1; 03-04-2022 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Updating

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    B22 FV-SR Report

I have had mine for over a year now. For the money it is a good little rifle for my intended use. I haven't done anything to mine except clean and shoot it. Normally I like my triggers light. I haven't measured this one but it is ok on pull weight, smooth and crisp right where it came from the factory. I'm not planning on adjusting it. The rotary mag so far has not been a issue for me. I like the stock. it fits well and feels good. I like the length and shape of the bolt knob. The weight of the 16" barrel makes it easy to sit steady on a rest.

I gave it a 4 star rating and here is why. The bolt lift on this one is scratchy and a little harder than I would like or expect from a rim fire. My centerfire Precision target action is lighter and much smoother and I haven't done anything to it. I did disassemble the B22 bolt , cleaned and reassembled with TW25 grease . It helped but its still stiff and scratchy. This one did not have the sharp edge on the bolt notch that some guys talk about.

I mounted a US optics 3-12x in Burris signature rings on it. Its a good match and the small scope doesn't over power the small rifle.

The two drawbacks on this one

1- scratchy bolt lift

2- it will not feed Super Colibri from the mag

Would I buy it again? - Yes
    Follow up on this post

Bolt lift corrected - now smooth and quiet

Colibri issue corrected- now feeds them like a champ

And while I was at it I stuffed the composite stock with carpet padding which really helped with balance and noise coming from that thin hollow stock.

Basic Member
    I'm new to this forum and a new first time Savage owner. Bought a B22 Precision a few weeks ago and have been to the range with it twice and hope to get there again in a few days. So far I have nothing bad to say about it. Shoots good considering the barrel is not even broken in yet and I have not done any serious ammo testing.

I hear lots of people complain about the mags being hard to load but do not see that at all. Is it as easy to load as the built in tubular magazine on my old Marlin or Winchester, no. Is it easier to load than the 25 round mag on my Mossberg 715T or any 30 round AR magazine, or most 12-15 round 9 mm magazines, YES. In fact the mags in most of my guns are as "difficult" (if you want to call it that) to load as the Savage magazine or worse. Very surprised to see so many complaints about them, can only wonder if they have loaded other magazines as few that I have used are "easier".

Overall I am happy with the build quality, especially the MDT chassis. Savage did a good thing going with MDT, the chassis is solid as a rock! The action feels nice and solid also with great lock up. I'm reasonably happy with accuracy and expect it to get better as I get more rounds through it and find ammo it really likes.

I have not experienced the failure to eject that seems to be a common problem with these yet, hope I never do but have found a few "fixes" online to try if I do.

Basic Member
    After several more range visits I want to amend my previous post. I bought this gun to use for 50 yard benchrest competitions. Was shooting pretty good my first few visits and I figured would only get better as barrel broke in. Instead after my 4th or 5th range trip the accuracy started getting worse and it started having failures to extract. Lots of different brand ammos and 3 scopes later it was not any better. Gun is now on its way back to savage for warranty repairs for accuracy and extraction issues. Savage rep I spoke to said it might need a new barrel. Hated to send it away, especially since shipping was over $71.00 but didn't have much choice. Just hope it comes back performing as I expect it to. I will update again once I get it back and have tested it out.

Basic Member
    It's amazing how my tone has changed from the first post I put in this thread to the second and now the third. As mentioned above I had to ship my B22 Precision back to savage for warranty work. I called there prior to shipping it to see if they send a shipping label, they would not, I had to pay over $71 to ship it back to them. They told me before I shipped it that they would have it for 3 weeks, ok, that's not too bad I can deal with that. At about the 3.5 week mark I had not heard anything, so I called them. Not looked at yet, uh oh, my first indication that things were not going to be as smooth as they made it sound on the phone. Waited a week and called again. Now told a gunsmith is looking at it so be ready soon. Waited almost another week, still no communication from savage so I called again. Now told gun was "not repairable" so a new one would be shipped to me. What could possibly make a gun not repairable? They could not (or would not) tell me. Ok, they're happy to tell me I'm getting a brand new gun. The first one was a brand new gun also and it didn't work good at all. This one would be tested at their range to make sure it is good before sending it to me. Alright that sounds good, when will the new one be shipped? They can't tell me, they have none at the Massachusetts plant, they need to get one from the Canada plant. When will they get it from Canada then? They can't tell me, Canada has none either, I have to wait for them to start a production run. When will that be? Don't know, maybe this month, if not maybe the following month...

Here I'll leave out a lot of the details about all my other calls. I will say that I found the email address for the CEO of savage and sent him a message describing the situation and asking for help. The morning after I sent the email I had a call from the woman in charge of the warranty repair department. I had spoken to her previously and got nowhere. She is very pleasant and told me the CEO had her read my email and told her to call me. This is starting to sound good, until I realized she still could not tell me anything.

To shorten this post up I'll just say that I finally received the new rifle 2 days ago, 11 weeks after I sent it out... I mounted my scope and went to the range yesterday. The gun did shoot pretty well but the bolt still scratches the next round in the magazine, and I did have 4 or 5 failures to extract. The original rifle also shot good on first range trip (although this one did seem a little better) but had no failures to extract, this one did, so how do I know this one will be any better until several more range trips?

Just want to say this is the first and last savage I will ever own. Yes, I understand a mass produced item can have problems, that's to be expected at times. What is not expected is the horrible customer service behind the product.

I bought this rifle specifically for 50 yard benchrest competition. Due to the faulty product and lousy service I missed 3 competitions, spent over $71 unnecessarily, had lots of aggravation and now have a gun I worry about how long it will shoot good for. I should have listened to the advice I got from others in the benchrest competition and bought a CZ. I wanted to buy American though and had heard of great accuracy from savage so went with that. BIG MISTAKE.

Why if savage has known about all of the failures to extract and eject have they not addressed them. I have been sent 2 no charge extractors
    and if my 2 savage rifles did not shot so well I would sell them. please savage just try to do something to help those of us who paid for your rifles.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vince-m View Post
    Why if savage has known about all of the failures to extract and eject have they not addressed them. I have been sent 2 no charge extractors
    and if my 2 savage rifles did not shot so well I would sell them. please savage just try to do something to help those of us who paid for your rifles.
    Some companies, regardless of product produced, do a better job of listening to and monitoring their customer service departments for complaints and patterns of those complaints. Great service AFTER the sale is paramount when it comes to word of mouth reputation and return customers. Caeser Guerrini/ Fabarm is well known, for example, in the firearm industry for service excellence. Unfortunately, it appears to me that Savage is not one of these companies that listens to their customers when it comes to addressing persistent problems with their products. Evidence of this are the persistent complaints concerning their magazines and feeding and extraction issues.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22 View Post
    It's amazing how my tone has changed from the first post I put in this thread to the second and now the third. As mentioned above I had to ship my B22 Precision back to savage for warranty work. I called there prior to shipping it to see if they send a shipping label, they would not, I had to pay over $71 to ship it back to them. They told me before I shipped it that they would have it for 3 weeks, ok, that's not too bad I can deal with that. At about the 3.5 week mark I had not heard anything, so I called them. Not looked at yet, uh oh, my first indication that things were not going to be as smooth as they made it sound on the phone. Waited a week and called again. Now told a gunsmith is looking at it so be ready soon. Waited almost another week, still no communication from savage so I called again. Now told gun was "not repairable" so a new one would be shipped to me. What could possibly make a gun not repairable? They could not (or would not) tell me. Ok, they're happy to tell me I'm getting a brand new gun. The first one was a brand new gun also and it didn't work good at all. This one would be tested at their range to make sure it is good before sending it to me. Alright that sounds good, when will the new one be shipped? They can't tell me, they have none at the Massachusetts plant, they need to get one from the Canada plant. When will they get it from Canada then? They can't tell me, Canada has none either, I have to wait for them to start a production run. When will that be? Don't know, maybe this month, if not maybe the following month...

Here I'll leave out a lot of the details about all my other calls. I will say that I found the email address for the CEO of savage and sent him a message describing the situation and asking for help. The morning after I sent the email I had a call from the woman in charge of the warranty repair department. I had spoken to her previously and got nowhere. She is very pleasant and told me the CEO had her read my email and told her to call me. This is starting to sound good, until I realized she still could not tell me anything.

To shorten this post up I'll just say that I finally received the new rifle 2 days ago, 11 weeks after I sent it out... I mounted my scope and went to the range yesterday. The gun did shoot pretty well but the bolt still scratches the next round in the magazine, and I did have 4 or 5 failures to extract. The original rifle also shot good on first range trip (although this one did seem a little better) but had no failures to extract, this one did, so how do I know this one will be any better until several more range trips?

Just want to say this is the first and last savage I will ever own. Yes, I understand a mass produced item can have problems, that's to be expected at times. What is not expected is the horrible customer service behind the product.

I bought this rifle specifically for 50 yard benchrest competition. Due to the faulty product and lousy service I missed 3 competitions, spent over $71 unnecessarily, had lots of aggravation and now have a gun I worry about how long it will shoot good for. I should have listened to the advice I got from others in the benchrest competition and bought a CZ. I wanted to buy American though and had heard of great accuracy from savage so went with that. BIG MISTAKE.
    After all the bad mouthing I did about Savage I wanted to follow up here with comments about the replacement rifle they sent me. It seemed good at first and I was cautiously optimistic, but I purposely waited until I had a good amount of range trips and rounds through it before I said anything more since the first one seemed good when I first got it.

I've been to the range with it about 7 or 8 times including 2 benchrest competitions. Have put well over 1,000 rounds through it. They sent me a very good one this time! It shoots better than I can and ejects the spent round every time. The bolt is smooth, and the trigger is great. It's really a pleasure to shoot.

Savage had proved to me they can build a good and accurate gun. If only the ordeal hadn't taken just about 3 months I would have no complaints with them at all.

That's the one big issue with production for all the Savage rimfire's being up in Canada. Any problems or issues requiring a return to Savage end up taking longer than a comparable centerfire because if they need to replace something (or the whole rifle) they have to have it sent down from the Canadian plant which means a lot of import/export hassle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Good to hear it turned out for you fv

Basic Member
    Bought a B-22 Magnum FV-SR last Saturday first impression good not great, the first rounds I tried to chamber no go reloaded the magazine and most would chamber but very hard, no extraction issues. Mounted a Burris Droptine 3x9 rimfire scope headed to the range, accuracy excellent at 25 yds, still loading rounds stiff but getting a little better. Trigger good, feels good, points good.

have a B22 Precision going on 2 yrs now..had an initial problem with the barrel nut that holds the grip..threads were stripped and had to get parts from MDT, which was a little difficult as they don't provide a cutaway or parts list, but an email got some responce and had to send pictures..got parts in about a week. Have problems with FTE's from time to time, still trying to figure out if its the ammo or the mags as I shoot the 100 yd competition...made my own rear bag rider, changed to a Mason buttpad and a lower cheek rest....shoots pretty good considering my freshman status...also removed that sharp spot on the bolt so the bolt runs smooth so I don't have to take my eye off the target between shots

Squirls b Crazy

Basic Member
    A 'viewer' here, I shoot a fair bit of rimfire and check out various forums and posts to try to stay somewhat current. I've looked at the B series rifles and would consider one if I were in that market. Already owning a scoped and tuned MK II FV that does quite well, and mostly shooting Specialty Pistols besides, I'm not buying another rifle right now, but a good thread non the less.

I have a B17 and a B22, both left hand. I really like both of them. Accurate and no issues.

B22 FV
    There's actually nothing I don't like about it. Super accurate, feeds and functions 100% all the time.
    I have 2 magazines and both function fine. Not quite as perfect as a 10-22 mag, but close!

My Mag rating - 2.5.

New forum member here! I recently purchased my B22 Precision used from a good friend for $350. It seems like a killer deal also including a 20 MOA RAIL, 2 mags, and 3 boxes of SK Standard Plus ammo. It's my second Savage rifle, the first being a mark II. The only mod so far is the 20 MOA rail and an Arken EP5 scope. I'll be using it primarily for some Rimfire PRS matches, NRL22 and plinking, mostly unsuppressed.

My reason for rating a 2.5:

Pros:
    Solid lock up
    Fairly affordable
    Flush fit w/recessed mage release, so I'm hoping I won't accidentally drop the mag like I have with the RPRR

Cons:
    No extended mags-My Biggest complaint, I wish they used 10/22 mags.
    No aftermarket magazines.
    Slow mag changes - hopefully I will improve with practice.
    Can be stiff to load and have finger cutting edges.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=XOCLOCK;521681]My Mag rating - 2.5.
    New forum member here!
    My reason for rating a 2.5:
    Cons:
    No extended mags-My Biggest complaint, I wish they used 10/22 mags.
    The 25 round BC mags work fine - I have 2x
    No aftermarket magazines. SEE ABOVE - NO Need of 'other' mags.
    Slow mag changes - hopefully I will improve with practice. You will.
    Can be stiff to load and have finger cutting edges.
    If you 'un-wind' the mag-spring a bit, it's much easier - see Below
    Take a file and 'round' the edges a bit - 5-min job.

PS - If you 'polish' ALL friction surfaces lightly with 600g or 1000g w/d paper you'll find everything will run smoother, too. The Bolt-Guide-Rail might 'scratch' bullets in the mag so it's advised to 'round' that leading edge, I just wen about 1.5" back to make it smooth, too.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sav Rotary Mag Tension Mod pic.png   Sav B22 Mags New-Mod 1.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12