View Poll Results: Rate your B-Series rifle experience based on build quality, reliability and overall satisfaction.

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (worst)

0 0%

1 2.56%
  • 3 (average)

4 10.26%

13 33.33%
  • 5 (best)

21 53.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B17, B22 and B22 Mag Customer Satisfaction Poll

B17, B22 and B22 Mag Customer Satisfaction Poll

For those of you who have purchased/own a Savage B17, B22 or B22 Mag, on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the best) what's your overall grade for the rifle you purchased in terms of build quality, reliability and owner satisfaction in it's "as delivered" stock form. You can comment down below to say what specific model you purchased and explain the score you gave if you like. You can also mention what (if anything) you have changed on the rifle since purchasing it.

This is more for my own curiosity than anything so don't be afraid to speak freely.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

B22 XP ..Very happy with fit finish and accuracy right out of the box. Came with Weaver scope as part of the promotion.
    Only complaint would be magazine charging..the last 3 in are a pain...took magazine apart (wedge something in to keep red plastic part from spinning) and slowly release tension noting direction of travel..reassemble with only 1/2 turn to spring. Be sure to note the "first shell in" position when reassembling. One part of the red plastic has a "bump on it indicating "first shell in". After doing this I cycled thru and recharged several times and it seems to work ok. I cannot guarantee that it will work for someone else however. Patience is required!! Only try this if you have a spare magazine!!!

I also did a cheapy cheek riser using 3/4 foam pipe insulation and 2 of the wife's black nylon foot stockings. Sounds weird but looks and works fine

Last edited by Retired; 01-24-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: additional info

Basic Member
    B22fv, nothing done to it. Great little shooter. Mags are a pain to load until they break in a little, iv got 2 spares but never seem to use them. Usually get groups smaller then a dime @50 yards with blazer and federal bulk if I do my part.

It it be nice if there was a little less flex in the forend as I shoot mainly off a bipod but again if I do my part it doesn’t seem to affect much.

Smile Savage B22 FV-SR

I have the B 22 FV-SR with a Center Fire 3-9 x 40mm AO Scope. I do plan on upgrading the Scope to one with more power before Spring. I'd give it a rating of 4. Good shooter, still undecided about the magazine. Stock is an improvement over the stocks on the Mk ll. All in all a great gun at this price point.

Basic Member
    Just picked up a B22F sporter 22lr. I’m done with the 10/22 ( they don’t seem to make em like they used to). Took it out to sight in today. Absolutely love it! The mag does take some getting used to, but it seems like if I load it with authority it’s just fine. Very good fit and finish. Wonderful to shoot. Good accuracy. My new 22 standard rifle.

This is my first Savage a B22G. I just purchased it three weeks ago and shot it the first time two days ago. I've been away from rimfire for many years but I'm back now with this new Savage. It is early but so far I am impressed with this gun. Quality is top notch in my opinion. This is a great looking gun with the hardwood stock and dark treated steel. It is a challenge to find a 22RF with a stock that fits an adult. This one does a good job of it. No problems so far and my only complaint is loading the mags and that is improving the more I do it. I would have rated it a 5 if the mags were more user friendly. Great job Savage .

Recently purchased the B22 magnum with wood stock. I have to say the quality of this rifle is outstanding. Cant say that I am thrilled with the accuracy so far but it is a lengthy process to find the right combination of ammo brand, bullet weight, clean or dirty barrel etc.. I have seen a few reviews on this gun that suggest that it is minute of angle @ 100. From what I am seeing from my gun it is more like 1 1/2" on a good day. I have been through about 7 different types of ammo so far. Best group so far has been 3/4" 5 shot group at 70 yds. with the federal ammo.It wants to shoot the hornady 30gr. V max but can't get past the fliers. It does seem to lean towards the faster velocity rounds. Shot about 50 rounds today and the CCI 40 gr. +v ammo did best with a 7 shot group @ 1 1/4" @ 70 yds.. Seems like the groups were starting to open upas the gun gets dirtier because the federal only managed 1 1/2" in 7 shots today. I did find a posible issue that could be affecting accuracy this evening. I checked the free float on the barrel and found that it wasn't floated all the way down to the barrel nut. started to have clearance issues about 2 inches before getting to the barrel nut. I addressed the problem and fully cleaned the barrel so I will start from scratch again! I am a big fan of glass bedding but a wood stock but I see no reason to go through the trouble with this particular gun at this point because the stock fit is excellent around the receiver and the tang is inset into the stock so everything is nice and tight and it is a low recoil gun anyways so I do not feel like anything is moving around. With that being said, The couple times that the accuracy has been at it's worst were very humid wet days which tells me that the humidity is having it's way with the wood stock. Would love to be able to do moa @ 100 but we will see.

This is my first post on this site. I recently bought a B22FV, my first rifle in 50 years. Pistols are getting to be kind of difficult. I put a Bushnell 6-24 x 40 scope on it.

Anyway, I have only been to the range 3 times and have been learning how to set it up and shoot it at 50 yards. I will probably always use it more as a bench rifle. I have a Caldwell BR front rest and their rear bag. First time out I used a variety of cheap ammo and shot groups between .75 and 1.5 inches, CCI SV was a little better than Aquila Super Xtra and all 3 Federals not so good.

Next trip I tried 2 subsonic rounds including one from Eley. Not so good. CCI SV was about .75" and SK Plus about .625. Starting to realize that my back bag is not so good and that the flexible stock forend is a bit of a problem.

Third time out I started shooting the less expensive of the match ammo, SK Std Plus, RWS Target Rifle and Wolf Match Target. Best groups with these just under .5 ". The biggest problems seem to be the rear bag, the flexible forend, and of course me.

Based on my lack of experience with any rifles, but with the results I am getting I would say this is a great little rifle, especially for the price. The only issues I see are the flexible forend and of course the magazine, which isn't terrible until sometimes the last 2 or 3 rounds. So I couldn't quite give it a 5 and had to go with the 4 (but should probably give it a 4.7).

I purchased my B17 FV a few weeks ago to replace a 93R17 that I passed down to my son. Right now the only additions I have done are a DIP 25-moa rail with a Redfield 4-12x40 scope with Warne Maxima rings.

As of now, I have been extremely impressed with the rifle compared to the older 93R series. The trigger is much improved (was set to the lowest pull weight from the factory) and does not have the grittiness of the 93R trigger. The bolt handle is bigger with knurling on it also which makes it much easier to work the bolt.

The stock is a solid improvement with regards to comb height for use with a scope and the pistol grip. My barrel slightly presses against the left side of the barrel channel so I am unsure how much that has affected my accuracy. In regards to accuracy, I have shot a few 5-shot groups under a 1/2" so far at 50 yards with Hornady 20-grain xtp rounds.

Even with the subpar forend of the stock, I still rated the B17 as a 5-star due to the better price compared to other rimfires like the CZ and Tikka. I can hopefully purchase a new MDT LSS-RF chassis later this month and will see how it shoots with a better chassis.

1600+ views and only 12 of them own a B-Series rimfire? I find that hard to believe!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I own a B-22 Compact 22mag and it's the most accurate 22mag I own. It surprised me with it's accuracy as it was up against cz's and marlins of the same caliber, but the little savage just shot excellent right out of the box. I was just shooting amscor 40g ammo from the start but this riffle just held it's own and impressed me with every trigger pull. The magazine is slightly problematic to load, but once you get the hang of it things seem to get easier. I swapped the trigger spring for a varmint spring and it made the trigger much better at just under 2 lbs. The new style stock fits me perfectly and much improved over the previous version, again this is the compact stock B-22. I have a Nikon 4-12x40 scope mounted with Redfield med rings and my usual shooting distance is 100-150 yards. I don't know but I believe savage is a much underrated rifle as it just comes with just the basics, but shoots at a premium level surpassing most other brands. Just add a good scope and your good to go, Just my honest opinion with this rifle.

B model poll

I absolutely love my B17 but absolutely hate the rotary magazine! I bought the Butler Creek A17 banana magazine hoping I could get it to work, it’s not gonna happen unless Savage comes out with an adaptation for the mag lock, hint hint.

Basic Member

B17

So far I am extremely pleased with the B17. I have had no problem with the magazine - seems like a breeze after messing with the blind mag on my 12FV. I have had zero problems with loading or ejection. Accuracy doesn't seem quite up to the level of my 12FV but I assume that might be expected ? The best average of five groups of five shots each so far has been 16.6/32" at 50 yards with Hornady 20gr XTP. I gave it a "4" rating in the poll only because the barrel doesn't seem to be completely floated. Bottom line is I can not see how a person could find a better rimfire rifle for the money.

B22 Precision

I like the B22 Precision 22lr I got a couple weeks ago. I'm very impressed with the trigger. Savage advertises trigger pull as adjustable 1.5-5lb. I've only had it out a couple of times 1/2-1" groups @ 50yds in a variable cross wind. Looking forward to shooting out of the wind when the ranges opening back up.

Savage B22 Precision 22lr c/w Vortex Crossfire 4-12*50 AO

22 Plinkster has a review

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    1600+ views and only 12 of them own a B-Series rimfire? I find that hard to believe!
    How do think us 64 owners feel

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

I have a new B22 G. I really like it. The wood looks nice and it shoots pretty darn good. I like that the magazine is flush with the bottom of the rifle. The loading of the magazine is not nearly as bad as some have made it out to be. Maybe Savage fixed it since they first came out. There is a little trick to the way the rounds slide in but once you get it down then it should be no big deal.

rimfire shooter for more than half a century now..I bought a B22-FV-SR WMR about a month ago (have owned a 93 17 HMR for a long time, which I am very fond of).. I rate the B-22 WMR a perfect "5 stars", terrific bolt action rimfire, extremely accurate.. liked it so much I also bought a new B17-FV-SR a few days ago.. BUT ... cannot rate the new B17 because it is dysfunctional.. I have FOUR rotary magazines for the B22/17 "magnum" series (will fit both the WMR and HMR) that work perfectly in my B22 WMR, go in easy, eject easy, etc..BUT.. neither the new mag furnished with B17 will latch up in B17, nor will the other 3 new magazines..they bottom out in magazine well, fitting flush with stock exterior, etc, but simply can not latch.. the latch plate is clearly set just a tiny tad too deep .. the magazine spring latch(es) cannot engage, no matter what..(have contacted Savage Customer Service via on-line same day I picked up B17 from FFL, on 8-22-20, and received computer generated auto-response w/ case #, but no other information or feedback after.. so.. stuck between a rock and a hard place .. I will not mess with the new rifle myself, lest I invalidate factory warranty.. can only sit and wait and wait for now.. obviously real happy with that B22 WMR.. and expect will be real happy with the B17 .. **IF** I ever get a response from Savage ..??? ... pretty hard to evaluate a rifle you cannot load and shoot... so... sign me "impatient and conflicted"
    Last edited by Georgia1948; 08-25-2020 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Basic Member
    Hi - I just got a B22 FV last week and have run about 150 rounds thru. After a thorough cleaning I started with 48 rounds of Herters 36g HP-HV bulk .22 for 'break-in', then switched to Federal Champion 40g RNL. The H was variable as expected, about 1-1/2 " groups, then I swabbed a couple patches then ran the Fed. I only ran 26 rounds 'cause the wind got up to around 15 mph, but my last group was 0.565" at 50 yards. Good enough for the first day!
    While cleaning before going out, I 'fixed' the cocking pin slot issue, and also broke the edge of the bolt handle slot as it was sharp too. I found the mag a bit awkward (never had a 10/22) but got used to it. However, the lower left side of the bullet slot had a 'pointy corner' that needed to be smoothed. my thumb got several scratches from it.
    I also found that if the mag is inserted while the bolt is Open, the mag goes in easier. Closed bolt is 'iffy' for the mag, but that may change after a few more hundred rounds?
    Overall I would have given the rating about 4.5 due to the issues I mentioned, especially since they have been documented since the gun came out in 2017!

BTW - Who has experience with the butler creek 25-round mags? They are listed as only for the A22, but I've seen some comments that they are usable in the Bs too. Anyone here done that ?? And here in Canada I can't find any of the 10-round mags - is that 'cause they're popular or just limited stock ??

Basic Member
    Hey Georgia - I forgot to ask, have you tried inserting the mag with open bolt ? That makes it OK for me.

B22 Magnum

I have had my Savage B22 Magnum about a year now and am very happy with the rifle. The very well designed synthetic stock fits me well and I do not have to worry about it swelling or shrinking in different humidity conditions. The rifle is very consistent in performance with several types of ammo. The 30 grain bullets print close to 40 grain bullets. Accuracy is very good. Yes, loading the rotary magazine takes some practice, but that is no big deal. They function without a hitch. All in all, a damn fine rifle.

Basic Member
    B22 FV-SR Report

I have had mine for over a year now. For the money it is a good little rifle for my intended use. I haven't done anything to mine except clean and shoot it. Normally I like my triggers light. I haven't measured this one but it is ok on pull weight, smooth and crisp right where it came from the factory. I'm not planning on adjusting it. The rotary mag so far has not been a issue for me. I like the stock. it fits well and feels good. I like the length and shape of the bolt knob. The weight of the 16" barrel makes it easy to sit steady on a rest.

I gave it a 4 star rating and here is why. The bolt lift on this one is scratchy and a little harder than I would like or expect from a rim fire. My centerfire Precision target action is lighter and much smoother and I haven't done anything to it. I did disassemble the B22 bolt , cleaned and reassembled with TW25 grease . It helped but its still stiff and scratchy. This one did not have the sharp edge on the bolt notch that some guys talk about.

I mounted a US optics 3-12x in Burris signature rings on it. Its a good match and the small scope doesn't over power the small rifle.

The two drawbacks on this one

1- scratchy bolt lift

2- it will not feed Super Colibri from the mag

Would I buy it again? - Yes

Basic Member
    IowaFox - A couple 'guesses' RE your scratchy-bolt. Have you looked inside the receiver for rough edges or scratches? That could be the cause, but the B22 cocks on lift so that may not be an issue. Also it may be the 'cocking pin slot' is too snug causing that stiffness. Maybe you could still smooth that area of the bolt or the inside of the bolt body anyway? The 'tight' headspace may just be the cause of your prob also, mine is pretty tight as well. I smoothed the slot of the receiver a bit to reduce drag.
    Hope something here helps,
    Ed
    PS- I have a Cabelas Covenant-4 6-24x50 FFP-SF scope and with SK Plus (the best I've bought so far) I can keep around .3-.5" @50 if it's not windy.
    And I heated the Trigger-spring red-hot with a lighter and let it cool slowly - that reduces the tension and lightened the pull to ca 2# or less. Along with polishing all the 'innards' I have a really smooth, light pull. That contributes to the accuracy as well.

Basic Member
    Ed,
    Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping that after Christmas I'll have some of those days I can really take my time and focus on this thing. I'm convinced its spring related inside the bolt. You can actually hear it and feel it in the bolt handle when you lift it to cock, If you lift the bolt handle with it cocked its smooth as silk and travels in the receiver very smooth.

I recently bought a B22 precision. Have to say I am pretty happy with it so far. The MDT stock is very high quality, the Savage action, bolt etc. is a little poorly finished but mechanically sound (for the most part). I did perform the "mod" to the bolt section corner that rides on the cocking pin as it was sharp and would cause premature wear on the pin.
    I never leave anything "stock" for very long and as you can see, I have already added quite a few "upgrades" and done some "tinkering".
    as far as accuracy goes, I have had mixed results using every kind of ammo I could lay my hands on. Also experimented with a barrel resonator and tuner. Best results have been with Eley Match (black box) and Lapua Midas + which is unfortunate as they are some of the most expensive ! Funnily enough, my smallest ever 5 shot group at 50 yards was with CCI standard velocity, but it failed to be consistent over time.
    Pretty easy to shoot sub MOA at 50 yards with the two ammos mentioned after dialing in the barrel tuner and the occasional sub- .50 moa group. See pics at top of post, these are two 50yard 5 shot groups using Eley match amd Midas +.
    Have not shot much yet out to 100 yards ,but did manage to shoot these two groups using Eley match and there was a slight breeze. I am pretty sure it can do even better.
    all in all, I consider it to be a good value at the selling price and enjoy shooting it very much. I might add the trigger is AMAZING !!.....Mine breaks like glass at 1.2 lbs with ZERO creep. I am a trigger snob and all my weapons have super custom worked triggers. I believe it would be hard to better the trigger I have on this at ANY price level, this one, I will not be messing with !
    Finally, many online reviews mention the bolt scraping the bullet in the mag as each round is loaded and ejected. This was indeed the case with mine also. The "gouge" was quite pronounced and I was pretty sure this would have a negative effect on consistency and accuracy. After careful study, I determined it was the the corner of the bottom rail on the bolt causing this as it slid over the round below. I carefully chamfered that corner going back along the edge about 1.25" (only one side as that rail is what pushes the rim of the next round into the chamber). It proved very successful and now there is barely any mark left on the lead bullet as the bolt travels over it.
    I think, with a few improvements, this will be a fine rifle for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    Hi - I just got a B22 FV last week and have run about 150 rounds thru. After a thorough cleaning I started with 48 rounds of Herters 36g HP-HV bulk .22 for 'break-in', then switched to Federal Champion 40g RNL. The H was variable as expected, about 1-1/2 " groups, then I swabbed a couple patches then ran the Fed. I only ran 26 rounds 'cause the wind got up to around 15 mph, but my last group was 0.565" at 50 yards. Good enough for the first day!
    While cleaning before going out, I 'fixed' the cocking pin slot issue, and also broke the edge of the bolt handle slot as it was sharp too. I found the mag a bit awkward (never had a 10/22) but got used to it. However, the lower left side of the bullet slot had a 'pointy corner' that needed to be smoothed. my thumb got several scratches from it.
    I also found that if the mag is inserted while the bolt is Open, the mag goes in easier. Closed bolt is 'iffy' for the mag, but that may change after a few more hundred rounds?
    Overall I would have given the rating about 4.5 due to the issues I mentioned, especially since they have been documented since the gun came out in 2017!

BTW - Who has experience with the butler creek 25-round mags? They are listed as only for the A22, but I've seen some comments that they are usable in the Bs too. Anyone here done that ?? And here in Canada I can't find any of the 10-round mags - is that 'cause they're popular or just limited stock ??

I bought the Butler Creek 25 round mag. (The A22 and B22 share the exact same mag) The one I received would push about 70% of the rounds straight into the bottom edge of the barrel chamber, so for me at least, It was a failure !..I returned it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast