Thread: 338-06

Basic Member

338-06

Anyone with some loads for 200 and 225 grn bullets, looking at the hornady interlock spitzers, for mule deer and wanting a flat trajectory.
    I currently am shooting 180 nosler accu bonds, but I am a little nervous about this load in my rifle because it has very little bullet into the case neck.
    Thanks in advance.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member

Re: 338-06

Monkey, i started with IMR4350 @ 59.0 grains and have worked up to 61.0 using lake city 78 brass and sierra 215's and wolf lrm primers. i am not home so i will try to remember the m/v i think it was about 2650-2700. this was from a 30 inch barrel. the 61.0 load is compressed. it is listed in my sierra load book but not on hogdon's web site. smallest group to date is in the high .2's and can keep 5 under half inch if i do my part altho i do find myself not doing my part after 10-15 shots without taking a break.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

ctrout

Re: 338-06

For flat trajectory and Mule deer, try the 270 Winchester. The 338-06 is way overkill, it's a great elk gun though. To answer your question,for the best trajectory, try the 210gr Partition. I was using a recipe of 62 grains of H4350 and got around 2750fps if memory serves. Yep, just looked it up at the Hodgdon website. That's a max load s use care.If it shoots well in your gun, It is the hammer of Thor. My elk 2 years ago only went 30 yards with only one shot.