Thread: 1973 110D Series K

Basic Member

1973 110D Series K

I looked over the FAQ’s but didn’t find my answer. The clip is attached to the action and I am wondering if this particular action can be retrofitted with new bottom metal and removable clip without a great amount of gunsmithing? I don’t want to try and remove the clip just yet but it looks like they got it in there so it should come out unless the front tab was spot welded after it was inserted.

My plan is to rebarrel to a 6.5-284 and would like a clip system similar to my 10PC. Any input greatly appreciated.

The older staggered feed guns (mag box attached to action) can be removed one of two ways. The mag boxes have to metal ears or tabs that fit into shallow slots machined into the action.

The first method is to use a set of spreader pliers with one side against the back side of the recoil lug and the other against the front side of the mag box.

The second method is to use a large, blunt flat-blade screwdriver and a mallet. Place the tip of the screwdriver at the base of the front of the mag box where it intersects the action, holding it at about a 45 degree angle. Give the handle a decent whack with the mallet driving the tip into the mag box forcing it backward and allowing the retaining tab to come out of it's slot in the action.

To reinstall is just as easy using the same methods.

As for converting it to the newer center feed, the screw spacing is the same so you're good there. You'd need a stock and the bottom metal, but I'm not sure if you'd have to modify the magazine port on the bottom of the action or not. I know several here have done this very conversion so I'll let those with first hand experience expand on that.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks for your input. I still have hope for this project. This brings me to the next question for those who have been down this road. Can I get some specifics as to who you might of bought your bottom metal components from? Also I plan to put this barreled action into a Boyd’s thumbhole varmit type stock like I did my last one and I will need help giving them a model based on what my gun will be converted to. When I started this project I couldn’t find the stock I wanted for this model because it has a hinged floor plate and they weren’t offering one for this particular model. I will keep researching that but if you’ve been in this same position, help me cut the chase. Thanks

The bottom metal you either have to find second hand (our classifieds for example) or purchase directly from Savage. I've yet to find anyone who stocks them - mainly due to it costing around $130 or so. Believe there's an article in the FAQ's section that lists the actual part numbers for several of the DBM bottom metals which would eliminate the need to get a S/N for a rifle that came with it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain