Thread: Dpms ar-308 question

Basic Member

Dpms ar-308 question

hello all, i just picked this up from a gun dealer and they took it in on trade. does this look like a stock dpms rifle to you all? does this barrel look factory dpms to you all. i was asking so i know how to fine the twist rate of the barrel.

Basic Member
    Unless the twist rate is stamped on the barrel under the handguard, the only way to truly know is to use a cleaning rod and a tight patch to watch it spin. Watch how many inches you have to pull it out to get 1 full revolution.

Basic Member
    ok, i found it it was stamped on the bottom of the barrel but real litely

Looks the same as my factory barrel with a different brake. Mines a 1-10
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Looks the same as my factory barrel with a different brake. Mines a 1-10

After seeing this picture I"m going to start calling you Big Honkin Brake rather than Jeep. lol
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    LOL, that is a big butt break he has on his

Basic Member
    hey big honking jeep what bullet weight does your ar like and do you reload your own?

Basic Member
    I have a DPMS 1:10 twist 308 barrel on my AR10 and it absolutely loves FGMM 175gr and also the 178gr ELD-X in the precision hunter line from Hornady.

agree, looks factory. Twist is on the barrel. Mine likes 168g Noslers and TTSX.

LOL That's the JP enterprises "recoil eliminator" I didn't see a 5/8x24 Savage adjustable brake available. (hint, hint, Savage)
    The JP is threaded 5/8x24 if you want one for a suppressor ready Savage where you want to negate recoil and make it loud.
    It would probably be much more at home on a 300 RUM but I traded for it and it is what it is. Yeah it's large but that pic makes it look even bigger.
    Mine seems to like the 165-168gr bullets and yes I do load them.
    I have fired a couple of boxes of factory stuff and the Federal Gold Medal shoots really well.
    I love the accuracy of this rifle but one of the things I don't like about this "range toy" is the way the darn thing seriously beats up some brass. Also it's heavy, bulky in all dimensions and in my experience not worth a hill of beans for hunting.
    A fella made a backhanded compliment at the range and called it a nice ammo waster. After coring out the bullseye with a full mag I responded with a big smile and said "you're only wasting ammo if they don't all go into the bullseye."
    BHB.....

Basic Member
    Putting an adjustable gas block on there will slow down the carrier velocity and help out on your brass. Also reduce felt recoil a great deal.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    LOL That's the JP enterprises "recoil eliminator" I didn't see a 5/8x24 Savage adjustable brake available. (hint, hint, Savage)
    The JP is threaded 5/8x24 if you want one for a suppressor ready Savage where you want to negate recoil and make it loud.
    It would probably be much more at home on a 300 RUM but I traded for it and it is what it is. Yeah it's large but that pic makes it look even bigger.
    Mine seems to like the 165-168gr bullets and yes I do load them.
    I have fired a couple of boxes of factory stuff and the Federal Gold Medal shoots really well.
    I love the accuracy of this rifle but one of the things I don't like about this "range toy" is the way the darn thing seriously beats up some brass. Also it's heavy, bulky in all dimensions and in my experience not worth a hill of beans for hunting.
    A fella made a backhanded compliment at the range and called it a nice ammo waster. After coring out the bullseye with a full mag I responded with a big smile and said "you're only wasting ammo if they don't all go into the bullseye."
    BHB.....
    what kind of load you got worked up for the 165gr

Mine really likes the 168 Amax, with 46gr of Power Pro 2000MR and a Fed 210M primer. Found the best load by accident when we had the last ammo and component "shortage" and power pro was the only suitable powder available at the time. Puts em into a 5 shot cloverleaf consistently. I shot loads in .3gr increments and my groups started tightening up well at about 44.8gr and started opening up again at 47.2 with 46 being my magic number for this rifle.

My DPMS AR10 love 168 smk's! And shoots 175's very close to the 168's.

Try some Hornady 110 grain TAP Bullets, that's probably all you need! And mine will shoot them!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    went out a shot a few today. i think mine is going to like the 155gr amax and the imr4064

Put some heavier bullets in that 10 twist and those holes will be touching.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    ok, thanks sir