Thread: School me on fast twist 22-250

School me on fast twist 22-250

As the title states I'm looking to re barrel a savage axis 243 heavy barrel to a 22-250 with either a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. Mainly be shooting 69gr to 90gr pills. Might throw some 55s in for plinking ammo. Barrel will be savage varmint or savage bull in 26in. Just wanting to learn about common fast twist loads and so on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I don't think you will find a Savage .22-250 barrel in that fast of a twist. Think the fastest OEM is 1:9? 90gr is a huge bullet for .22-250 and will take a 6.5-7 twist. If you find a Savage 9 twist for sale you can shoot ~75gr while not slowing down the lighter pills that much.

And I assume you are going to handload cause you won't find many heavy commercial rounds. Personally, I have a 12 twist .22-250 and have been looking for a Savage stock 9 twist to replace it with. Then I will load the same heavy rounds I use in my .223....

I'm going to be ordering a pre fit barrel

Basic Member
    Then get the 8 twist and shoot 77-80gr MatchKings...

Basic Member
    Mine is an 8 twist, I wanted a 9. Heaviest I planned was 75grn. My best load with 75gr Hornady hpbt was 34grns of h414, sig brass, WLR primer. I have only had it out twice at 100yd's, it's a fun round. My guesstimates put that medium load and economical bullet supersonic at 1k. I'll find out this spring or when I get a chrony.

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Mine is an 8 twist, I wanted a 9. Heaviest I planned was 75grn. My best load with 75gr Hornady hpbt was 34grns of h414, sig brass, WLR primer. I have only had it out twice at 100yd's, it's a fun round. My guesstimates put that medium load and economical bullet supersonic at 1k. I'll find out this spring or when I get a chrony.
    Thanks for the good info I plan on using that as my primary round and I was also looking into the 85gr barnes match burners also

I do have a 22-250 AI that has been set for just Sierra 90-95’s it is a 1.6/5 twist looking for F Class and a few long range varmints. Also possibly building a 98-100 grain custom bullet just to experiment.

Respectfully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

A 26" 1-8 twist has proven to be fast enough for 90gr pills with the 22-250AI several times over. It's been my experience that you're better off with the 80's v. the 90's as the 80's shoot flatter out to around 600 yards due to the higher initial velocity and then are about dead even with the 90's at 1,000yds. Both go sub-sonic around 1,150-1,200.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    A 26" 1-8 twist has proven to be fast enough for 90gr pills with the 22-250AI several times over. It's been my experience that you're better off with the 80's v. the 90's as the 80's shoot flatter out to around 600 yards due to the higher initial velocity and then are about dead even with the 90's at 1,000yds. Both go sub-sonic around 1,150-1,200.
    That's some good information I might just go with a 1:8 then. I don't plan on going ai due to that fact I don't really need the extra velocity. This rifle will mostly be shot inside 1k yds.

Basic Member
    I had a 9 twist 223 rechambered to 22/250 AI. I use 69 gr Sierras in it for Prairie dogs out to about 600 with no issues.
    From there I use a 6mm with 105s.

Basic Member
    I deleted my post. Not appropriate for this section. Apologies to Boss.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    My rifle is a Ruger American 8 twist that Whittakers sells. I use AR Comp to push a 69gr TMK to 3200 fps. Picked it up real cheap, it's set up for a lightweight coyote rifle, just need to get out and call a few in.

I also have a heavier savage 22-250 AI in an 8 twist that shoots 75gr ELD-M with RL23 @ 3370 fps. Stupid accurate with an ES of 15.

Thanks for the information so far guys

I'm putting a 22-250 together with 1:8 twist.

Basic Member
    I deleted this post too. Not fit to post here.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Obviously some folks think the NO BUYING OR SELLING OUTSIDE THE CLASSIFIEDS rule (that would be rule #6) doesn't apply to them.

Frankly speaking, I shouldn't have to play babysitter to a bunch of grown ass men when I get on here but more and more frequently I find I have to and it's getting old fast.

I can promise everyone this - the next person trying to buy/sell outside the classifieds isn't going to like the outcome. You've been warned. Piss and moan about it all you want, that's been the rule here for more than 15 years and you agreed to adhere to it and all of our other rules when you joined the site.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Obviously some folks think the NO BUYING OR SELLING OUTSIDE THE CLASSIFIEDS rule (that would be rule #6) doesn't apply to them.

Frankly speaking, I shouldn't have to play babysitter to a bunch of grown ass men when I get on here but more and more frequently I find I have to and it's getting old fast.

I can promise everyone this - the next person trying to buy/sell outside the classifieds isn't going to like the outcome. You've been warned. Piss and moan about it all you want, that's been the rule here for more than 15 years and you agreed to adhere to it and all of our other rules when you joined the site.
    I will not excuse myself for not knowing the rules, that is my fault. However, I can't even send a private message so I'm not sure what I am supposed to do?

Basic Member
    It's well worth it to pay for a membership. Jim is not getting rich trying to run this site, and the knowledge it contains is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by imartin View Post
    I will not excuse myself for not knowing the rules, that is my fault. However, I can't even send a private message so I'm not sure what I am supposed to do?
    You will be able to send PM's once your post count reaches 20. We just restrict it to start to help prevent scammers from registering and trolling the WTB ads.

And my apologies for being a little gruff in my previous post, but this has been an ongoing issue that's just been getting worse in the last month or so as the global notice I posted indicates. I hate having to be the bad guy, it's just not my nature, but if I don't do it this place would go down the crapper pretty quick and then where would we all be?

No need to apologize, you are just doing your job as admin. I apologize for adding to your headache. I appreciate the reply and info. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Mea culpa, I'm to blame here. Posted an inappropriate for sale within a conversation and against the rules. My apologies to Boss, and the group as a whole for bringing this down on everybody. I won't do it again, and will re-up to Gold again early as compensation to the forum.

Again, my apologies to one and all. A great bunch here, and I don't want to disturb it in any way.