Thread: Picatinny to Stiffen Factory Stock?

Lightbulb Picatinny to Stiffen Factory Stock?

Bit of a strange idea brewing. Here's my thoughts. I made a list of wants for my budget .308 Hog Hunter Tactical/Practical build that includes light weight stock, angled fore grip, and the option to mount a bi-pod. That last one is the monkey in the wrench. Most jobs i have in mind for this build involve trekking and shooting off hand, so the bi-pod is the outlier. But, i digress.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Richard's Microfit laminate, which would be a solid platform but significant weight gain. I also considered sitting around until I could source a cast off Accufit with aluminum block. I could then use the swivel studs to place two small rails, one for the bi-pod, and one for the fore grip. That got me thinking. If ran a full 8-9" picatinny rail along the forearm on the factory stock, how much strength would that add, especially if I epoxy filled the barrel channel? if that weren't enough, additionally I could bed a section of aluminum bar stock directly onto the forearm, and mount the rail to that, adding a bit more flex resistance.

Pros:

1. Rigidity, even without a bi-pod.

2. Ability to play around with loadouts (lights, etc...)

3. Ability to use a bi-pod, if i ever decide to.

4. Unique 1 off look, especially after paint job .

5. Pretty budget friendly.

Possible Cons:

1. Added forward weight on an already barrel heavy (20" medium contour) rifle.

2. Creating a hinge point just forward of the action where the block/rail would end.

3. Possibly heavier than a laminate? Haven't done any math yet.

4. Too unique of a 1 off look... might just be ugly. Like coyote ugly.

The weight might not be an issue. Again, haven't run the numbers. That could kill the whole thing for me. Between epoxy fill, aluminum, rail, and possible counter balancing added to the butt-stock, it could get heavy. As for the hinge point, I know some folks run aluminum rods past the end of the barrel channel to avoid this. That made me think maybe I could run the rail to the front action screw and toss in a longer screw. I have no idea what affect that might have, but it is another thing to consider. And as far as ugly, I am a pretty precise fella most of the time. If it looks bad, it wont be due to shoddy work. I searched google images and several forums to see if a beast like this exists, but no luck. Plus, I kinda like 'em a little on the trashy side, just not to hefty.

So I submit it to the mob? Suggestions? Comments? Blinding-flashes-of-insight?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrescentSon View Post
    Bit of a strange idea brewing. Here's my thoughts. I made a list of wants for my budget .308 Hog Hunter Tactical/Practical build that includes light weight stock, angled fore grip, and the option to mount a bi-pod. That last one is the monkey in the wrench. Most jobs i have in mind for this build involve trekking and shooting off hand, so the bi-pod is the outlier. But, i digress.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Richard's Microfit laminate, which would be a solid platform but significant weight gain. I also considered sitting around until I could source a cast off Accufit with aluminum block. I could then use the swivel studs to place two small rails, one for the bi-pod, and one for the fore grip. That got me thinking. If ran a full 8-9" picatinny rail along the forearm on the factory stock, how much strength would that add, especially if I epoxy filled the barrel channel? if that weren't enough, additionally I could bed a section of aluminum bar stock directly onto the forearm, and mount the rail to that, adding a bit more flex resistance.

Pros:

1. Rigidity, even without a bi-pod.

2. Ability to play around with loadouts (lights, etc...)

3. Ability to use a bi-pod, if i ever decide to.

4. Unique 1 off look, especially after paint job .

5. Pretty budget friendly.

Possible Cons:

1. Added forward weight on an already barrel heavy (20" medium contour) rifle.

2. Creating a hinge point just forward of the action where the block/rail would end.

3. Possibly heavier than a laminate? Haven't done any math yet.

4. Too unique of a 1 off look... might just be ugly. Like coyote ugly.

The weight might not be an issue. Again, haven't run the numbers. That could kill the whole thing for me. Between epoxy fill, aluminum, rail, and possible counter balancing added to the butt-stock, it could get heavy. As for the hinge point, I know some folks run aluminum rods past the end of the barrel channel to avoid this. That made me think maybe I could run the rail to the front action screw and toss in a longer screw. I have no idea what affect that might have, but it is another thing to consider. And as far as ugly, I am a pretty precise fella most of the time. If it looks bad, it wont be due to shoddy work. I searched google images and several forums to see if a beast like this exists, but no luck. Plus, I kinda like 'em a little on the trashy side, just not to hefty.

So I submit it to the mob? Suggestions? Comments? Blinding-flashes-of-insight?
    Probably a little more traditional than your looking for but I went with a houge free float stock, full aluminum bed on my savage precision build. If you call them they can walk you through what model to get but again it's a fairly traditional looking stock other than the soft rubber over molding (which I really like, very comfortable)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am fine with traditional. In fact most of my stable is wearing factory walnut. This SOB just seems to want to go in a different direction. Cost is a big issue on this one. The reason I was considering the laminate is the Richards in a gray Monte Carlo would only run $89. I plan on doing a lot of snap shots and hog hunts with this set up, and that stock looks like it has a lot of heft. I looked at Houge, which is still an option, but slightly more expensive. I am also really into DIY, and could use a project ATM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrescentSon View Post
    I am fine with traditional. In fact most of my stable is wearing factory walnut. This SOB just seems to want to go in a different direction. Cost is a big issue on this one. The reason I was considering the laminate is the Richards in a gray Monte Carlo would only run $89. I plan on doing a lot of snap shots and hog hunts with this set up, and that stock looks like it has a lot of heft. I looked at Houge, which is still an option, but slightly more expensive. I am also really into DIY, and could use a project ATM.
    Understood:) if traditional is okay with you then I definitely don't think you would be disappointed with a Hogue stock. As you said they are a little more but they're quite a bit less than some of the others also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I kinda think the idea of a Pic rail is a good one. I might even suggest that you add an Al bar and screw the Pic rail into it. That would make an extremely stiff front end. Extending the bar to the action screw would just add that much more.

Basic Member
    Stiffening up the forend will only move the flex point to the recoil lug pocket. Unless you go beyond that, you're wasting your time.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Yeah Charlie, I figured on a 3/8 thick aluminum flat bar, slightly inlet to the underside and epoxied. Since the rail mounts along the center line, I can anchor the flat bar with side by side bolts at 3 points evenly spaced protruding through threaded anchors of some kind in the barrel channel rib area. Then when I epoxy fill the channel it would have sturdy mechanical connection as well. That gives me the ability to drill and tap the aluminum making the rail removable if needed.

Sharpshooter, that is what I was thinking with running the mount to the action bolt. It is a blind magazine. If it didn't up the complexity so much, I'd machine a roomier custom trigger guard and extend the bar far enough to the rear action point as well. I really don't know how much rigidity that would really add though. And I wonder if it would just push the stock's weak point back to the thin points in the trigger guard surround.

But so far I am considering a $15-$20 modification to a stock I'd surely replace anyway, so not much lost in the event of failure.

Basic Member
    And in the end, you will replace the stock, so save your your money and put it towards a good stock.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    CresentSon,
    If you want to try and stiffen a plastic stock just to see if you can, then go for it. You just might find something. If however you are looking to save some money then things get a bit fuzzier. It is easy to spend too much time on a project tiring to reinvent the wheel when it easier and/or cheaper to just purchase the required item. I frequently fall into this trap, I just can't help myself. Good Luck how ever you proceed.

If I had a dollar for every person who's come on here thinking they were going to be the one to finally figure out a way to stiffen up a factory synthetic stock I could have retired to my own private island in the South Pacific a decade ago.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    And in the end, you will replace the stock, so save your your money and put it towards a good stock.
    But where's the adventure in that?

In all seriousness I have no delusion that I'll be the one to build the better mouse trap that everyone has been chasing after. I just have a specific wish list, and enjoy finding unique solutions. I could use this rifle as is, and probably never have a complaint shooting off range bags rather than a bi-pod. It certainly is the lightest option.

But, I am a built not bought kind of guy. If I know me, I won't be able to help myself. And if it improves, or at least doesn't make things worse, I'll roll with it. If it is too heavy, then I'll begrudgingly buy something else and have some more unique wall art.