Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester's new .350 Legend

Winchester's new .350 Legend

Winchester's launching a new .35cal straight walled cartridge for 2019, apparently for those of us in states that only allow such cartridges for deer hunting with a rifle.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I don't have a need for it, but I am curious how it will perform. Next 35 I pick up will be a whelen...

Basic Member
    I carried a 35 Rem 141 pump for about 10 years, I suppose this wont be much different.

Cool,
    Good for Winchester for filling a niche in the market.
    I know I'm from a completely different part of the country but "straight walled cartridge" game laws don't make any sense at all to me. What is the purpose and what led up to such regulation?

I wonder how long before we'll see it in a wheelgun :) Now that would put a smile on my face
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I take it the reason not to just use the 112 year old .35 Rem, .351 Self Loading or more recent and MUCH more powerful .358 Win is so it can use pointed bullets in an AR type platform?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Cool,
    Good for Winchester for filling a niche in the market.
    I know I'm from a completely different part of the country but "straight walled cartridge" game laws don't make any sense at all to me. What is the purpose and what led up to such regulation?

I wonder how long before we'll see it in a wheelgun :) Now that would put a smile on my face
    For us it started with being able to use handguns during shotgun season. They then let us use those cartridges in rifles. I dont under stand the reason for this as we can use whatever for coyotes along with pickups and CBs. It gets pretty crazy with those guys.

I may have to revitalize my striker for deer hunting. Looks good.

Basic Member
    Isnt it because they considered straightwall stuff as close range rounds? Like shotgun slugs and muzzleloader? Most of these places are flat so they dont want rounds traveling far

Basic Member
    Fact is a 30/06 using a 180 gr "round nose" bullet zeroed for 100 yds, wont reach a 400 yd target at 3' high before hitting the ground.
    Try it sometime.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Fact is a 30/06 using a 180 gr "round nose" bullet zeroed for 100 yds, wont reach a 400 yd target at 3' high before hitting the ground.
    Try it sometime.
    yeah...and? A hot 45/70 wont reach 280 yards in that same scenario. 12 ga sabot wont get 260. The smaller straight walls about the same if not shorter range. My 454 casull would hit groundat 250

Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post
    Isnt it because they considered straightwall stuff as close range rounds? Like shotgun slugs and muzzleloader? Most of these places are flat so they dont want rounds traveling far
    That's pretty much the gist of it. Between the flat topography, the high population density in these states, and the fact that most rural areas are laid out on a 1-square mile grid they've always been worried about how far bullets will travel. The straight wall limitation is a bit ridiculous when you think about it as a bullet from a .45-70 will travel a lot farther than one from a .30-30 Winchester, but the .30-30 is illegal since it has a shoulder.

As for this new cartridge, I've loved how the speculation on other forums has been that this must mean Winchester is going to start making AR15's as well. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened (i.e. Savage Arms now making AR's). I'm more inclined to believe Winchester is going to use this new round to breath some new life into the good'ol Model 94 for deer hunters in these states as well as hog hunters across the country.

Would also make a nice second caliber option in Savage's 110 Wolverine and 110 Hog Hunter.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    yeah...and? A hot 45/70 wont reach 280 yards in that same scenario. 12 ga sabot wont get 260. The smaller straight walls about the same if not shorter range. My 454 casull would hit groundat 250
    I guess my whole point was that not everybody, including those making the laws, don't always know what their talking about when it comes to how far or long it takes for these things to be on the ground. But obviously, you do.

THAT is the trouble.

Its like in the schools. Administrators and principals set the curriculum and they may never have taught an hour in a classroom in their whole lives.

I actually have to say that from what I have seen the wildlife biologists and DEC/Game Wardens are very good at what they do here in New York. But the local and state ordinances for firearms or "method of taking" may not seem to be the most sensible. They have to look at a whole region and not just a specific spot.

As far as the .350 Legend. It does make sense that a manufacturer would gear a new chambering to the MSR platform. That is where the market is. Lets just hope they figured out what the shooters will actually want (twist rates, bullet weights, etc.) Lord knows how many times Remington came up with a good concept cartridge and then fell on their face - 5mm Rem Mag, 6mm Rem, .260 Rem, 7mm Rem Express, .350 Rem Mag, etc. All wonderful but failed in what and how they were introduced in a firearm. Happily every one of them eventually found spot and solution. (I love my .260 Rem - Savage gave it the right twist and throat)

Why we're not all shooting the .222 Rem Magnum instead of the .223 Rem is still a mystery. ;-)

I dunno how other states are set up, but here in Ohio there's a board or directors within the ODNR that sets the rules and regs each hunting season. Last few years there's been a big dust-up over whether that board is acting in the sportsmen and wildlife's best interests or someone's wallet's best interest.

I's like to see that round chambered in a Marlin lever action instead of the open top 94.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    THAT is the trouble.

Its like in the schools. Administrators and principals set the curriculum and they may never have taught an hour in a classroom in their whole lives.

I actually have to say that from what I have seen the wildlife biologists and DEC/Game Wardens are very good at what they do here in New York. But the local and state ordinances for firearms or "method of taking" may not seem to be the most sensible. They have to look at a whole region and not just a specific spot.

As far as the .350 Legend. It does make sense that a manufacturer would gear a new chambering to the MSR platform. That is where the market is. Lets just hope they figured out what the shooters will actually want (twist rates, bullet weights, etc.) Lord knows how many times Remington came up with a good concept cartridge and then fell on their face - 5mm Rem Mag, 6mm Rem, .260 Rem, 7mm Rem Express, .350 Rem Mag, etc. All wonderful but failed in what and how they were introduced in a firearm. Happily every one of them eventually found spot and solution. (I love my .260 Rem - Savage gave it the right twist and throat)

Why we're not all shooting the .222 Rem Magnum instead of the .223 Rem is still a mystery. ;-)
    They have an excellent reputation for good ideas, and bad decisions when following up on them.
    The 280 should have smoked the 270 in sales from the outset, and we cant blame it all on Jack O Conner.
    Same goes for the 6mm Rem as compared to the 243.
    And speaking of the 222 mag, remember the 6x47?

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I's like to see that round chambered in a Marlin lever action instead of the open top 94.....
    Good luck since the takeover they dont even make 450 or 444s. I was going to purchase a 45-70 for deer season until I handled one and found the sight plane was 15 degrees canted of the receiver top. I then looked at the rest of the "new" Marlins the store had in stock - all the same.

Basic Member
    Heard that rumor of the remlins aka remington made marlins. Thought it only applied to the early ones when remington just took over? Esp the 94’s but some 1895’s but i thought they invested into the tooling and machining equipment to remedy the issue? I havent seen any new ones yet as i want a 45 colt to go with my ruger super redhawk. But i also dont wanna pay 600+ for a lever gun

Heard that rumor of the remlins aka remington made marlins. Thought it only applied to the early ones when remington just took over? Esp the 94’s but some 1895’s but i thought they invested into the tooling and machining equipment to remedy the issue? I havent seen any new ones yet as i want a 45 colt to go with my ruger super redhawk. But i also dont wanna pay 600+ for a lever gun
    Most of those afflicted with the Leaning Sights of Remlin were made prior to 2014. Things have gotten a lot better since they retooled, but they're still not at the quality Marlin put out before Remington gobbled them up. They've slowly been working on each model line one at a time to get the quality where it needs to be, starting with the 1895, and the few recent ones I've seen seemed good to go. I haven't seen an 1894 in a shop in a coons age so can't comment on those, and I don't generally bother looking at the 336's.

I'd have to be hard pressed to buy a Remlin era Marlin, especially when you can still find JM stamped Marlin's for a fairly reasonable price.

This was 1 month ago

I should have took a picture of it. I do have to go to the city this weekend, I am going to try and swing by so I can document this.

Big honkin jeep they do sort of have this in a wheel gun. I know Dan Wesson used to make revolvers in .357max. But they were k ow to flame cut the top strap.

As for the legend theres a few guys who have been shooting a wildcat round the .357Max AR. Or .357 rimless. It's a necked up .223 case and trimmed to .357max length of 1.6in the 350legend has a case length of 1.7in. Some of those guys are loading the bullets out to magazine length so they're getting close to the same capacity on powder I believe.

I initially looked at the .357max AR as a project for a Savage bolt gun but have decided to go the AR platform instead but may see where the 350 legend goes first. Although with the .357max AR the barrel I was looking at is .358 bore I stead so to shoot the 200gr FTX in .358

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    This was 1 month ago
    Doesn't mean that rifle hasn't been sitting there on the shelf for several years for that very reason. Anyone who looks at it would see it plain as day and walk away from it.

LOL! That's how I got a deal on a M11 in .260 Rem. The dealer was tired of storing it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Doesn't mean that rifle hasn't been sitting there on the shelf for several years for that very reason. Anyone who looks at it would see it plain as day and walk away from it.
    They were all like that 8 in total and at Scheels. I doubt any gun sits that long at places like that, I could see stale inventory if this was a mom and pop. The rest of the gun had nice fit and finish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast