Thread: Help Needed - Calculating Sight Height

Basic Member

Help Needed - Calculating Sight Height

I bought a Savage 110 Tactical LH in 308 and need some help with calculating the sight height so I can enter it in the Hornady ballistic calculator. The scope is an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 set in Warne low rings atop the factory 20 MOA base. How do I get the sight height for this? Thanks!

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Measure from center of muzzle bore to center of scope bore. I have a similar setup and my height is 1.65", although I use Talley rings and have the scope at low as possible. I would assume you are around that height or taller.

Just as a comparison my AR10, with a 3.5-14x42 mounted on an AR style mount is 2.8".

When in doubt - push a cleaning rod down the bore and from the breech use a veneer caliper to measure from the center of the rod to the center of the scope tube. Or, to be truly anal, measure from the outer edge of both and then subtract 1/2 the tube diameter and 1/2 the rod diameter. But the rod might wobble as it is slightly under bore size. So you should . . . * gasp * . . . approximate.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    I usually just use the gas port hole to the center of the knob or a scope ring.
    All this stuff needs to be confirmed when you shoot anyway so don't worry about being precise.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I usually just use the gas port hole to the center of the knob or a scope ring.
    All this stuff needs to be confirmed when you shoot anyway so don't worry about being precise.
    This is by far the easiest way to measure it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    What is the gas port hole? Never heard of it.

David

The way I did mine was to take a ruler and open my bolt up until it is pretty much even with the ocular lens of the scope. I then measure middle of the bolt handle nut to middle of the scope. Seems to work well enough...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    What is the gas port hole? Never heard of it.
    Right here...if something causes an overpressure event the gasses will hopefully escape via the hole and not blow up the receiver.

Oh, now you just spoiled all the fun. ;-)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Oh, now you just spoiled all the fun. ;-)
    You gotta understand, when things get hard to do, many of us just cant do it.

That's why I don't shoot long range. I'm too lazy to carry a target out to 1,000 yards and then go back to shoot. I'd need a nap to get my pulse rate back down.

But as you rightly pointed out earlier - this is just an approximation.

So, if you have a 20 MOA base do you measure the offset from the ocular, crosshairs (and then which focal plane), or objective lens? This is like rocket surgery.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    So, if you have a 20 MOA base do you measure the offset from the ocular, crosshairs (and then which focal plane), or objective lens? This is like rocket surgery.
    I was thinking about this exact same thing.

David

I have a 20 MOA Base on my .260 and an FFP Sightron SIII (Which is the rifle I measured from middle of bolt handle nut to middle of Ocular lens. (Mine came out to 2 1/8" or 2.125" ) my ballistic calculator only reads to the second decimal, so it reads 2.13.

Got this way of doing it from Sam Millard at Panhandle Precision... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFrNrhqcEiQ

Basic Member
    Well first it's not an exact science, and if you choose to attempt to make it so it will frustrate you no end.
    The first round hit thing has become a game some enjoy playing, and if that describes you then have at it and enjoy yourself.
    If shooting groups you can show friends is important, then put up targets, then go take them back down, then decide on showing the friends. lol
    Otherwise paint a rock white and just leave it there for next time. Or don't even bother painting it.
    For closer distances like say 5 or 6 hundred yards there wont be much difference in many of them as for clicks needed.
    Even at 1000, just add about 90 clicks for a magnum, see where it hits, then tune as you go.
    Just realize that next time you shoot, it might vary some from last time.
    But the vast majority of time, a basic chart will put you on target or very close next time you shoot.
    You will never see a serious 1000 yd target shooter take out a bunch of gadgets to determine where to set his sights.
    He will know from past experience approximately, then take a shot at a sighter target, or a small rock, or at the base of a small tree.
    And smart hunters do the same if at all possible.