Thread: Looking for opinions on a model 12 Bench rest

Basic Member

Looking for opinions on a model 12 Bench rest

New to this site. My goal is to be able to hit a baseball @ 500 yds cold bore shot. I have been pursuing this with a match MSR in 5.56 and a lot of "failure frustration". The 6 Norma BR was recommended for something like this. Choosing a baseball and 500 is something I find difficult, but, do-able. I have nosed around the forum in search of experiences & tips on the 6 Norma BR that Savage makes (#18614) but have not had much success. I have always had great performance from Savage and am wondering how this model is in real world. I am lucky enough to have a 600 yd range at the club I've been a member at for over 20 years. They will actually allow the use of a baseball as a target as long as you police it. Distance shooting is a pita but amazingly addictive. If anyone out there has any experience with one I'd be in your debt if you would share it. The left port/right eject appeals to me. The ease (definitely not the cost) of upgrading the barrel is really a plus. Savage's floating bolt head is another plus. I am hoping this will be the way to go at a most modest cost. I have seen several "custom built" guns that didn't quite live up to their price tag. I have had good fortune in my 700 builds but find the cost is always high as well as time consuming and results may not be up to what the customer had expected. Nobody's happy if that happens...Not having been there, according to my peers, it turns ugly. I'm hoping the #18614 will be a good starting point for one for myself. Any help / comments would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely & Safe Shooting - oldwrench

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldwrench View Post
    New to this site. My goal is to be able to hit a baseball @ 500 yds cold bore shot. I have been pursuing this with a match MSR in 5.56 and a lot of "failure frustration". The 6 Norma BR was recommended for something like this. Choosing a baseball and 500 is something I find difficult, but, do-able. I have nosed around the forum in search of experiences & tips on the 6 Norma BR that Savage makes (#18614) but have not had much success. I have always had great performance from Savage and am wondering how this model is in real world. I am lucky enough to have a 600 yd range at the club I've been a member at for over 20 years. They will actually allow the use of a baseball as a target as long as you police it. Distance shooting is a pita but amazingly addictive. If anyone out there has any experience with one I'd be in your debt if you would share it. The left port/right eject appeals to me. The ease (definitely not the cost) of upgrading the barrel is really a plus. Savage's floating bolt head is another plus. I am hoping this will be the way to go at a most modest cost. I have seen several "custom built" guns that didn't quite live up to their price tag. I have had good fortune in my 700 builds but find the cost is always high as well as time consuming and results may not be up to what the customer had expected. Nobody's happy if that happens...Not having been there, according to my peers, it turns ugly. I'm hoping the #18614 will be a good starting point for one for myself. Any help / comments would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely & Safe Shooting - oldwrench
    Savage (imo) is a great place to start a precision build. I've use savage actions with shilen barrels on several builds and have rifles that can do what your wanting. If you have accutrigger, northland shooter supply (I would Imagine others as well) have the spring to turn down pull weight.. I think criterion also has drop in barrels for savages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

What your wanting to do is well within the rehlm of the 6MM BR. The 107 grain SMK is a very good performer in that caliber.

Basic Member
    I would consider the Target Action.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

I've been drooling over the Savage factory target rifle lineup since they started cataloging them.
    Man that #18614 looks like a bargain compared to trying to build such a rig especially when you consider "actual" price is often much less than the "MSRP" shown on the factory website.
    Just from my experiences with the other Savage varmint and tactical rigs that I do own, I would think that your objective should only be a good handload away from reality. I haven't found one yet that wouldn't shoot.
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    From my reading, they kick a lot of tail in various factory gun classes. I like the stock, color and shape. I have seen these used on gun broker for roughly 900$.

I like the challenge you have picked. Good luck

Basic Member
    I have a factory LRPV in 6mm Norma BR, Mod.12 BVVS in 6.5X284, Mod 12 LRP in .260 Rem and a Custom 7mm WSM on a Mod 16 action that will achieve that task. With reloads of course. Only the LRPV & LRP are on target actions. You have a good chance of a bone stock gun doing it if you do your your part on the reloading bench.

I'm not particularly fond of the game of baseball, but I've never hated it so much that I wanted to start shooting the balls. LOL

As others have noted, the factory 6mm BR options with good reloads should get you there. The cold bore shot might be the caveat though as every barrel is an individual and is going to have it's own quirk in how it throws that first shot. Some might throw it right in where you're aiming, others might be 1 to 1.5 inches off the point of aim. If it consistently does the exact same thing you can account for it, but not all of them do.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

6 Norma BR is a no brainer for 5 shots under an inch at 550 yards
    My recipe is 30.1 gr Varget and a 107 smk .015 off the lands.
    trust me on this one!

Lightbulb

6 Norma BR is a no brainer for 5 shots under an inch at 550 yards
    My recipe is 30.1 gr Varget and a 107 smk .015 off the lands.
    trust me on this one!
    Same with the above quote from South Prairie Jim! 30.0 is my load, but mine likes the smk's a little closer to the lands.

You will have a blast with the 6BR, very inexpensive, and very fun to shoot. Unbelievable performance from such a little cartridge.

5 shot groups @ 100, will do the same at 300 yards if you do your job.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    What your wanting to do is well within the rehlm of the 6MM BR. The 107 grain SMK is a very good performer in that caliber.
    I totally concur with GaCop statement. My 6BR loves smk 107's, so does my BRX & DASHER. They also like 108 BIB's if you can get them.

Five shot groups, 100 yards, it will do the same @ 300 yards if you do your part. 108 BIB's, RL15, smk's.

Both bullets were .010 in the lands. I might be willing to part with one of my 6mm's! Just thinking right now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6br 108 BIB 30 RL15.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	548.2 KB 
ID:	5617
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 105 Scenars.JPG  
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

They will actually allow the use of a baseball as a target as long as you police it.
    These are fun to shoot at, if your range allows it. They also have "rubber" jumping targets which come in orange or green, you cannot destroy them, and they jump all over the place when hit! GREAT ground practice!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnipImage.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	5619
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Question
    how to post a picture please?