Thread: Just bought a new Savage 110 Storm

Just bought a new Savage 110 Storm

Hey guys, I just picked up a Savage 110 Storm in .270. I love the gun but have a question, do they test fire every gun? After I got it home, I got it taken apart and it seems like it's been shot quite a lot. There seems to be a lot of carbon build up on the bolt face. Just wondering if this is normal, or did I get sold a used gun marked as new? Also, the extra spacers for the accustock weren't in the box.

I may have jumped the gun a bit, after looking at my son's brand new Axis, his bolt face looks just like mine, must have been from test fires.

Basic Member
    I don't buy a lot of new guns, so forgive my naivety. Did the bolt come oiled? Could be crud that got trapped in gun oil. Then the oil evaporated and left behind the crud.

Just a guess. If a new Axis looks the same way then I'd say it's a feature, not a defect.

Basic Member
    They should be test fired at the factory..

Basic Member
    The 110 Storm is a nice gun, replacing the weather warrior so it has some big shoes to fill, let us know how you like it !!!!

Not just Savages but most every rifle I've ever bought has had a slight indication of brass on the bolt face. Like you, the first time I ever noticed it I was a little concerned. A buddy that owns a gun shop started pulling new ones off the shelf to show me it was normal and put me at ease.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I had the same thought yesterday. I have a new gun, came with a scope and all set up. I haven't shot it but was looking it over and the bore seemed kind of dirty. Got a light and yes, it could use a patch. So I ran this dry patch through it and was surprised to see the results. Didn't see the green on this first patch, although I did scrub it down with Hoppe's and got more green out. Is this just test firing? I don't think so but no expert. Not a Savage, but now I'm going to check a new Savage Wolverine in 450 Bushmaster that I haven't shot either!!

I will for sure let you know how I like it, I have to call Savage tomorrow as get them to send me the rest of the spacers for the stock, get a scope mount for it and throw some sort of sight on.

Basic Member
    They have been shot and if it has an SP stamp on the barrel some where it was proof tested.

Basic Member
    Every Savage rifle is proof tested and function fired with a minimum of 5 rounds.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Just a small update, I did call Savage about the missing spacers for the stock, the lady I spoke with, took my name address and serial number from the rifle and is sending the spacers to me. Took a total of 5 minutes or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    Just a small update, I did call Savage about the missing spacers for the stock, the lady I spoke with, took my name address and serial number from the rifle and is sending the spacers to me. Took a total of 5 minutes or less.
    Another great customer service story. Thank you for the update.