Thread: Re-finish stock on pre war 99?

Basic Member

Re-finish stock on pre war 99?

So I've got this 1922 model G, breakdown. About 80% bluing, looks good, shoots fine. Got the lightfoot scope adapter to put on it. I'm wondering about stripping the stock, front and rear and re-finish with tung oil. I really like the tung oil finish. But should I hold off? The front part is in very good shape, but the rear has chips missing behind the tang and a few chips around the butt plate. There is also largish chips out around the hole at the bottom rear for a sling mount, or is that not original? I was thinking about fixing the chips and refinishing at least the rear part, it's kinda worn in places but the most offensive parts are the chips.
    Opinions? Or maybe find a new rear stock or just leave it as is?

Basic Member
    Since you're talking scope mount, I'd say you were setting it up as a shooter/hunter rifle. Myself, I'd strip the stock & forearm (and try to keep the original stain) then repair the chips and use the oil finish. You could also touch up the blueing if there are any scratches/wear areas. A new stock would be nice but you'd have a difficult time matching the color to the forearm. I replaced the forearm for my 99 years ago but it isn't for the correct model (all I could afford at the time). Now that I can afford a correct replacement I'll be shopping around.

The chips missing behind the tang is not uncommon with 99's. Problem occurs when there is no gap between the rear of he tang and the stock. So if you repair that area make sure you leave some space.

Basic Member
    Yes, I've seen other 99's with the same tang chips. If I do this I want to make the repairs as indistinguishable as possible. I'll have to look into it first.