Thread: Question about a Savage 99CE in .243

Basic Member

Question about a Savage 99CE in .243

I have a Savage 99CE in .243 that has poor ejection. It appears the extractor hook tip has been sprung out & now the hook is (was) negative. Extraction was fine, however the empty case would fall off the bolt face onto the following round or follower before it would make contact with the "spring finger" ejector (part # 139480C). I heated & made the extractor look like it should (positive) & then re-heat treated it. My question is, since there is no spring loaded cartridge stop (like there is in the spool magazine models) helping the empty case stay on the bolt face to the ejector, is ejection kind of spotty with the leaf style ejector? I'm used to the spool types just kicking the empties out regardless of lever speed. There are no LH extractors on any of these so case position is limited by the inside of the receiver wall on this model's design. The overall ejection just isn't there. Anyone else have a CE with the leaf ejector that has solid ejection? Thank you & Safe Shooting - oldwrench

Basic Member
    Welcome from W/C Michigan, can't help with your question but there are many here who can !!!!

Sure it's a CE?

Why are you shooting a Centennial Edition? Does it have gold inlay on the receiver sides?
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    It is a real plain jane. It has the leaf spring guide/ejector that is held in with a screw. It just isn't what I am used to. I have the case extracting well now. The further to the rear the extractor/bolt face carries the empty case, the less the case wants to stay on & get "kicked" off. I am used to the tiny ejector of the cartridge interrupter really doing the job In a nutshell, now that the extractor is extracting, I am not thrilled with the limp ejection. I am just wondering if this is just the way "it is" with this design. As a real fan of these old beauties, the box magazine & side release button & tang safety just aren't what I call to mind when I see a 99.

I think you have a 99C or a CD, the CE was a centennial edition which was engraved and gold inlayed.

Basic Member
    I agree it would be a 99C. That said, my schematic lists the push button box magazine release under the header of a CE and some others. My concern is with the feeding & ejection of this design. The little spring finger design verses the spool (rotary magazine) type seems to be a vexing design. I was pretty much curious if any one had one in 243 Win that did feed well off of the double stack magazine AND still hung onto the bolt face for a solid & vigorous ejection?

Sorry I don't have a 99C in 243 but I do have them in 284 and 22-250 and yes the 22-250 does have a crappy ejection from time to time but the 284 has never given me a problem. In fact I do recall having to pull a shell out with my jack knife in the 22-250 once at the range and thought my extractor was getting week but never did replace it and it never happened again after that. Maybe the chamber just needs a polishing?

Your serial number doesn't start with an L does it? The Llama made 99C's were well known for having headspace issues and ejection problems.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the heads up on the "L" series. This unit S/N starts with a "D". It seems after hours & I mean hours of marking & checking and polishing it will run in both directions if you cycle it with authority. My old 99 in 300 Savage, with the brass rotary magazine, will slow cycle rounds up as smooth as butter & kick 'em out. I can not see where I can make this 99C design better. When slow cycled, the shoulder of the .243 on the left side of the magazine gets cocked on an angle and "stub jams" trying to align with the bolt face and slip under the ejector. I'm guessing that would explain the excessive outward bend of the ejector hook when I first got it in...of course it would barely pull the empty out & drop it before ejecting. It might be me, but it looks like the design just isn't there for a 6mm bullet and the .308 short case. It looks like IF there was more room, the cartridge would have less of an angle to overcome to find it's way into the chamber & under the extractor simultaneously. Like I said earlier it might be me......

@oldwrench If it's any consolation I also have to cycle the action on my 99C with some vigor, but I've never had the extraction issues you're dealing with.
    Mine is a .308, but I'm pretty sure it shares all the same parts with the .243 save for the barrel.
    If you'd like, I can take measurements of the ejection spring and extractor and PM you orthographics of the parts. You can check if your parts are in tolerance with a set of calipers.