Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage Lightweight Hunter wood stock - ouch!

Basic Member

You can use a .243 magazine and bend the lips in on the magazinenand it works fine thats what I did on my my 7.62x39 build that I am finally finishing

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    And with the .243 mag I fit 5 rounds

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
    You can use a .243 magazine and bend the lips in on the magazinenand it works fine thats what I did on my my 7.62x39 build that I am finally finishing

Great info. I'm going to give that a try. I assume that you don't have the bolt stop baffle on your bolt, that prevents the bolt head from coming all the way back to the regular SA mag length? Or did you put a spacer in the back of the .243 mag?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Great info. I'm going to give that a try. I assume that you don't have the bolt stop baffle on your bolt, that prevents the bolt head from coming all the way back to the regular SA mag length? Or did you put a spacer in the back of the .243 mag?
    I did not use a bolt baffle and actually I just posted in my build thread about my magazine needing to be modified or get a 762x39 follower

Team Savage
    Stock arrived today. Oh my! Absolutely gorgeous stock. I mean wow!

I had to get out the sockets and sandpaper (a tiny bit) to fit a standard action into it, but that only took me about 30 minutes and was easy peasy. Not only is this stock gorgeous, it's 3 oz. lighter than my painted plastic stock! That brings this 7.62x39 down to just 6 lbs. and 13 oz. with the "placeholder" Simmons scope on it (about 9 oz.)

The gold indian head is a really nice touch.

Can't wait to drop a 6.5 Grendel barrel in it, and top it with a lightweight Leupold scope. This stock completely transformed this rifle for the better. Totally worth it.

Basic Member
    That is sweet. Congrats. Well worth it if you ask me. That will be one awesome Grendel.

Basic Member
    Stock arrived today. Oh my! Absolutely gorgeous stock. I mean wow!

I had to get out the sockets and sandpaper (a tiny bit) to fit a standard action into it, but that only took me about 30 minutes and was easy peasy. Not only is this stock gorgeous, it's 3 oz. lighter than my painted plastic stock! That brings this 7.62x39 down to just 6 lbs. and 13 oz. with the "placeholder" Simmons scope on it (about 9 oz.)

The gold indian head is a really nice touch.

Can't wait to drop a 6.5 Grendel barrel in it, and top it with a lightweight Leupold scope. This stock completely transformed this rifle for the better. Totally worth it.
    Can i get a straight side view of the area where the magazine is? Im trying to figure out if I want to contour that area on mine.

The wood is definitely a good choice for your gun. I really like the checking and would like to do it on my build but ita going to have a gloss finish and I dont think it will work out right

Team Savage
    Not sure what you're asking. The current bottom plastic and mag are flush with the bottom of the stock. Do you mean looking at the action area from the side? One photo already shows that although it's kinda dark underneath.

Basic Member
    Not sure what you're asking. The current bottom plastic and mag are flush with the bottom of the stock. Do you mean looking at the action area from the side? One photo already shows that although it's kinda dark underneath.
    Does it look like this?

Team Savage
    Yes, except mine is a bottom bolt release.

Team Savage
    I realize I never updated this thread with my final build out.

Here's the end product - a 7mm-08 Axis barrel (the Grendel just wasn't quite what I wanted in the end) on a model 10 short action, bottom bolt release, in a walnut LWH stock. I topped it at first with a 9.9 oz Leupold 1.5-4x20 scope (as shown), but got a good deal on a VX-2 2-7x33 (also 9.9 oz). Dropped that in some Talley low rings, and that's what it will wear from here on out.

Total rifle weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. and points like a dream. This is the first bolt action hunting rifle I've owned that reminds me of my beloved pre-64 Winchester 30-30. It balances and points just as good. I've already had friends who want me to build them one. I am not sure I've ever seen a better looking wood stock.

I realize I never updated this thread with my final build out.

Here's the end product - a 7mm-08 Axis barrel (the Grendel just wasn't quite what I wanted in the end) on a model 10 short action, bottom bolt release, in a walnut LWH stock. I topped it at first with a 9.9 oz Leupold 1.5-4x20 scope (as shown), but got a good deal on a VX-2 2-7x33 (also 9.9 oz). Dropped that in some Talley low rings, and that's what it will wear from here on out.

Total rifle weighs 6 lbs. 15 oz. and points like a dream. This is the first bolt action hunting rifle I've owned that reminds me of my beloved pre-64 Winchester 30-30. It balances and points just as good. I've already had friends who want me to build them one. I am not sure I've ever seen a better looking wood stock.

Its working for me now thanks
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Team Savage

Looks good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great looking rifle! Good job!!!

Basic Member
    Great looking rifle.

Are the back rings touching the magnification dial? They look awfully close, but it's hard to tell from the image.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Great looking rifle.

Are the back rings touching the magnification dial? They look awfully close, but it's hard to tell from the image.
    They were close but not quite. The mag. dial will - just - fit in the little valley in the Weaver base if you're using the low quad-lock rings.

Funny thing - I replaced those Weaver bases and rings with Talley lows, and I was concerned whether the mag dial would clear. When I got them in, I realized the mag dial on that Freedom series was just a hair too large diameter to clear on the low Talleys if I wanted it that far forward. When I replaced the VX-Freedom in the pic. with the VX-2 2-7x33, the mag dial "just" cleared the base portion of the Tikka rings, as I had hoped it would. I was tickled to say the least. So I mounted it up only to discover that the little black allen head screw that secures the mag dial in place, made contact with the base as it was rotated to it. Easy fix though. I pulled that screw and filed a half mm off of it, then blued it with a cold blue pen and reinstalled it. And it worked perfectly. The mag ring on my new scope clears by a gnat's hair and the scope is nice and low and forward where I want it.

I'll try to post some new pics of the final (final) setup with the Talley low rings and VX-2 scope. It's pretty darn sweet.

Honestly, I like that model 10 action in the LWH stock more than I do the LWH action. Cleaner lines to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12