Thread: New Member with 110 30-06 Question

New Member with 110 30-06 Question

I have a 25 or so year old 110 30-06 I got when I was 18, serial # F109XXX. It has the original basic wood stock and was very accurate many years ago. I am wanting to see about replacing the stock with something a little better and maybe do a few other improvements. Any suggestions for a stock with good bedding, etc? Thank you for any help.

Basic Member
    Check out Boyds Stocks. I have one just like yours on my safe. Good shooter.

I too give a vote to Boyds. You will have to glass bed or install pillars in a Boyds stock but once bedded properly, they're AWESOME.

X3 on the Boyds. Looks great, but feels even better. Have same stock on my 110, pillars were easy

Thank you for the quick replies. I was tossing around going to another wood stock and then doing the glass and pillars or one of the aluminum bedded Bell & Carlson or others if there was one that would work. I live and hunt in the Pacific Northwest, which means lots of temp variations along with loads of moisture. Those Boyd's stocks are beautiful though.

If you want synthetic with an aluminum bedding block you'll be hard pressed to beat a Bell & Carlson for the money. Synthetic stock options for Savage's are few and far between, and most of the other options (McMillan, Manners, Stockade, etc.) are going to be a long wait and/or cost you nearly twice as much.

Just be glad you aren't a lefty, the pickin's for us southpaws is even slimmer.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Pretty sure mine is a top release model and I see on their site that it matters when ordering a stock. To remove the bolt I press the small lever next to the bolt while simultaneously pulling the trigger.

Welcome. Sounds like an old "flatback" from the mid to late 1990s (so called because of a flat milled into the rear of the action where the rear scope mount sits)
    If it's accurate Shoot it and enjoy it. Maybe tune up the trigger and bed the existing stock. Lots of tips here for tuning them up.

Yep they're top release,
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Yes, the rear of the action is absolutely flat. I was also thinking about doing something with the trigger as well. Thank you for the info.

Basic Member
    Depends on your "taste".
    When correctly bedded, a wood/laminate stock is every bit as dimensionally stable in the receiver area as a chassis or aluminum bedding block.
    Plenty of high-dolla benchrest rifles with wild color laminate schemes in competitions...

Clear epoxy coatings, or many coats of good 'ol Tru-Oil will protect the wood from moisture.

Since weight is a concern, lightweight composite stocks will usually get the edge over the heavier laminates or hardwoods.

Thanks for all information. Just got off the phone with Bell & Carlson and have a new Olive Drab w/ Black Webbing Medalist on the way. Once I get that on and dialed, I will decide on the rest of stuff I may want to change. Maybe a trigger and who knows, maybe a new match grade barrel at some point.

New stock came in. Just a little light dremel work on one little spot for clearance along with on the front screw to shorten it a couple threads and all good. Now to test fire it.

I'll post pics if I can figure it out.

It definitely shoots quite a bit more comfortably. Now I just got to get that very old Leupold Vari-X II 3×9 off of it and put something from this century on it. Love the glass on my Vortex Viper HD binos, so maybe something from that line.

Basic Member
    Bell & Carlson Medalist was a good choice. I put one on a Rem 700 to replace factory Tupperware about 7 years ago.
    Improved group size average and has weathered well.

Good shooting.