Thread: If you want a factory .224 Valkyrie magazine for your bolt gun-read this!

Basic Member

If you want a factory .224 Valkyrie magazine for your bolt gun-read this!

Talked to someone at Accurate Mag and he said that they are working on a new insert for the .223/5.56 DSSF magazine that will be made SPECIFICALLY for the .224 Valkyrie round for bolt guns.

He suggested that if they had more feedback they might get things done sooner-if the boss gets a better sense that there is a market, he'll get the engineers on it full time.

Go to their site, they have a place to drop them a message and we'll see what happens!

If you're that convinced you need a bolt-action .224 Valkyrie, just run down to your local dealer and order in a Model 110 Prairie Hunter.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...prairie-hunter

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110 Prairie Hunter.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	5675

It's basically a 110 Varmint with a threaded muzzle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I am liking the Valkyrie. Very fun to shoot at 500 yards.

Accurate Mag makes great magazines. I run Accurate Mag magazines on 4 different Savage long actions with 100% success.
    An older post of mine about using Accurate mags for multiple calibers that they weren't designed for:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...306#post439306

Basic Member
    Yeah, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place being a Lefty. Plus I'm building with a 6.5 barrel to work the 90 grain bullets better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by copterdrvr View Post
    Yeah, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place being a Lefty. Plus I'm building with a 6.5 barrel to work the 90 grain bullets better.
    On a bolt gun, unless you want the small case capacity for some reason, a 6mm or a 6.5mm Creedmor or something like it makes more sense to me for 1K yard competition or fun shooting when you want low recoil and longer barrel life. The only reason I went with the Valkyrie was because it was too cheap to pass up for something that would give me decent performance out to 1K on an AR-15 platform for 75 to 88 grain Hornady bullets. The small amount of powder used is a bonus. After thinking about it some more, I probably would not build a Valkyrie in a bolt action rifle but you never know.

Basic Member
    I HAVE a 6.5 Creedmoor that I've been competing with for a couple years now and my buddy is building a 6 CM after owning a 6.5 CM for about two years also.

We typically shoot out to about 850 yards and I see no detriment to using the Valkyrie whatsover. I've already built a Valkyrie AR with a 7 twist barrel and I love shooting it-no recoil to speak of at all and .5 MOA accuracy with 82 grain Bergers. The new barrel is a 6.5 twist and I'm looking forward to shooting 90 grain bullets in it.

No recoil at all to speak of-the 6.5 will be a backup to the backup for sure!