Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible new budget chassis offering - Oryx from MDT

Basic Member

Possible new budget chassis offering - Oryx from MDT

This new chassis offering from Oryx is not currently available for Savage rifles but, per Anthony from Oryx Support "There will be a Savage offering, check back with us in the new year as it will be after the chassis launches." Pre-order pricing is $399 for Howa, Ruger, Remington and Tikka actions. Looks like only right handed models available at this time.
    https://oryxchassis.com/?SID=dog1qkrs71e84uf4175hfu5ck4

- Kirk -

Basic Member
    Here's a discussion on the new chassis with Josh from MDT
    https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...assis.6911092/
    - Kirk -

Looks good. I just picked up a Tikka 22-250 varmint and was looking at the KRG, but now this! Thanks!

Basic Member
    I sent an email to Oryx last night and received this response from Ryan this morning.

Hi Ben, the Savage Short Action has been discussed but there is currently nothing in the works for it. That might change in the not so distant future.
    If you were in more of a hurry, you can check out the LSS line of chassis from MDT - www.mdttac.com

Basic Member
    Well hopefully they do offer it and it turns out to be a quality piece. Options are always good.
    - Kirk -

Basic Member
    The Oryx Chassis is now available for Savage short actions. MDT answered my questions on another forum and I have copied their answers:

Thank you for your interest in Oryx!

Yes, it will fit Savage with both screw spacing, and both side and bottom bolt release.
    The complete weight, including buttstock and grip is 4.4lb.

Yes correct, there is a hole for a QD mount on the buttstock!

Basic Member
    That’s nice that they offer it for savage now, but I wish Ryan from Oryx would have said something last week besides, “there is nothing in the works right now.” I just ordered a different stock because he said a Savage chassis wouldn’t be available. How can they go from “nothing in the works” to “available” in a week’s time? I’m disappointed because I really liked it but don’t have money to buy it now.
    Ok... I’m finished with my pity party.

Quote Originally Posted by Benmuncie View Post
    That’s nice that they offer it for savage now, but I wish Ryan from Oryx would have said something last week besides, “there is nothing in the works right now.” I just ordered a different stock because he said a Savage chassis wouldn’t be available. How can they go from “nothing in the works” to “available” in a week’s time? I’m disappointed because I really liked it but don’t have money to buy it now.
    Ok... I’m finished with my pity party.
    Hey Benmuncie, I want to apologize for that. We do our best to provide the clearest and most forthcoming information we can. As a new product line, we are working through all the rifle options we can and we will be adding more as time goes on and the decision was made basically between your question and homer76's.
    Hopefully we can get you an Oryx chassis for another build you may have in the future.

Ryan

Basic Member
    Since we have MDTs attention now... Ryan, how "cushy" is the recoil pad? It looks kinda like hard rubber from the pics. And I guess that unless you want to only load to SAAMI OAL you will need the steel magazines?

Team Savage
    $400 for a stock?

I'll pass.

Basic Member
    Hey Ryan. I’m not mad - just sad. I tried to send an email to your Oryx account explaining that, but I don’t know if it got to you. Thank you for the follow up here. This is a great group of shooters that can get the word out about good savage hardware pretty quickly. And Jim, the moderator, does great product reviews.

Basic Member
    Pretty please, with Sugar on top, make this for the Axis!!!! For the love of everything holy, please!

AICS style mags or are they going to be proprietary?

Basic Member
    Very interesting. Love my lss. Not sure it is worth switching.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Megastink, Savage axis will be available in early March according to Oryx website.

Basic Member
    Megastink, Savage axis will be available in early March according to Oryx website.
    Sold on this for my Axis!

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Since we have MDTs attention now... Ryan, how "cushy" is the recoil pad? It looks kinda like hard rubber from the pics. And I guess that unless you want to only load to SAAMI OAL you will need the steel magazines?
    It’s pretty nice. It’s just the right amount of squishy, it’s firm and solid but will eat some recoil. We don’t want something that’s going to kill your shoulder but not so soft you can’t get a repeatable position when you get on your rifle and load the bipod

Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    $400 for a stock?

I'll pass.
    $399 for a complete, solid aluminium chassis, buttstock with adjustable comb and length of pull with a rubber overmold grip, there’s nothing else that I’m aware of that is in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCMRanger View Post
    AICS style mags or are they going to be proprietary?
    Most of them will accept AICS mags with the exception of the Howa Mini Action which will use the factory mags.

Hey Ryan. I’m not mad - just sad. I tried to send an email to your Oryx account explaining that, but I don’t know if it got to you. Thank you for the follow up here. This is a great group of shooters that can get the word out about good savage hardware pretty quickly. And Jim, the moderator, does great product reviews.
    No problem at all, just saw this post and wanted to apologize, we try to be as honest as we can and wanted own up to it.

Looks like there is a new chassis in my future!

Basic Member
    Just put in my order...we shall see what it does for my .243

Basic Member
    I'm excited, I would have never guessed Tikka before Savage, my assumption was the Savage was more popular.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage170 View Post
    I'm excited, I would have never guessed Tikka before Savage, my assumption was the Savage was more popular.
    It's not about what is more popular. It is just that one of the international distributors ordered Tikka, in a country where they barely sell Savage. So it just ended up this way in the production schedule

I recently sent an email to the MDT staff about the compatibility of this Oryx chassis with the Axis II, specifically in 6.5 creedmoor. I was told they didn't have a chassis compatible now but maybe later in the year they would. If the only difference in the Axis and Axis II is the trigger I can't figure out why the Axis II isn't compatible, unless I'm mistaken about the differences which is likely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast