Thread: Moving a gun safe!

Moving a gun safe!

I have a Gun Safe I need moved 3 miles!

It's 750 pounds, 5ft W x 26" deep, 6ft high.

I am in the Baton Rouge area.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I have contacted a few movers, but they want anywhere from $500 to $750 to move it 3 miles!

Thanks,
    Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

It's not the distance so much as getting it on and off the truck without destroying the safe and the homes on either end.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Team Savage
    That’s about the going price, I paid $500.00 plus $100.00 tip.

Basic Member
    Last year I bought another safe for the camp.
    About 40" wide, same hgt and depth.
    This is a Champion brand which is a very heavy safe also.
    It was on my pickup laying flat on the back.
    4 friends from a neiboring camp slid it off and onto a dolly and into the camp.
    The door can be removed on most which helps.
    Check with a tool rental about a pallet jack which will fit thru standard width doors.
    My son moves very large stacks of plywood and dry lumber around in his shop with one of those as well as heavy machinery.
    Regardless, it will require some substantial beef to get it done also.

Call a tilt bed wrecker. Get some carpet
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Call a tilt bed wrecker. Get some carpet
    What would he ask the wrecker? Ive got the carpet, come over and move my gun safe? lol

You have never seen a tilt bed wrecker have you? You need to get out of those woods sometime. Carpet is to keep from scratching the paint.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You have never seen a tilt bed wrecker have you? You need to get out of those woods sometime. Carpet is to keep from scratching the paint.
    Ive sat on the side of busy roads waiting for them a few times. Once I barely made it thru a tunnel thru a mountain, maybe 100 yds before everything just shut down.
    I was trying to make the next exit south on I 77 which was Wytheville VA and home base for the rolloff, aka tilt bed.
    I asked the driver if he knew where Bangsteel was and all I got was a blank look. I would have thought everybody down that way would have known that. lol

Basic Member
    I guess I got lucky and have several co-workers that can be bribed with food and/or beer.

Basic Member
    How did you get it to where it's at now?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    How did you get it to where it's at now?
    I am buying it new from Bass Pro, and they don't deliver!

Dennis

Basic Member
    Then I'd pass...
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

When I bought mine (1100lbs) I though if I just got a few guys over we could roll it on dowels. I was mistaken I couldnt even budge that thing. Luckily the neighbor had a skidloader at his house and we lifted it off my flatbed trailer into my garage until I could figure out what to do. I looked up our local liberty safe dealer and they were willing to bring over their safe mover and put it in our house for $150 I think. As it was climbing the steps with the safe I thought it was going to break them. We bought our safe for fire protection why its so heavy, now it is full and I need another. What ever I get now will have "install" included in the deal. Although I think we can get a "crackhead deterrent" safe now that should be manageable with a utility cart.
    Nothing more stressful than having your wife stare you down as you have a 5k brick in your garage stall. Luckily I didnt put it in hers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    When I bought mine (1100lbs) I though if I just got a few guys over we could roll it on dowels. I was mistaken I couldnt even budge that thing. Luckily the neighbor had a skidloader at his house and we lifted it off my flatbed trailer into my garage until I could figure out what to do. I looked up our local liberty safe dealer and they were willing to bring over their safe mover and put it in our house for $150 I think. As it was climbing the steps with the safe I thought it was going to break them. We bought our safe for fire protection why its so heavy, now it is full and I need another. What ever I get now will have "install" included in the deal. Although I think we can get a "crackhead deterrent" safe now that should be manageable with a utility cart.
    Nothing more stressful than having your wife stare you down as you have a 5k brick in your garage stall. Luckily I didnt put it in hers.
    Actually the garage isn't a bad place to leave one that heavy. At some point it will no doubt require moving again.
    We are considering making a safe room in a corner of the garage with reinforced concrete walls and ceiling with a fire door.
    Then move the safes into that.
    A friend built a new house recently and made a room like that in the basement during the building process.
    Then bought just a door from a safe company and installed that in the concrete wall.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    A friend built a new house recently and made a room like that in the basement during the building process.
    Then bought just a door from a safe company and installed that in the concrete wall.
    I should have done this, but we were on a budget. Hindsight is kicking my butt now.

Rent a "roll a lift" (like 2 hand trucks on caster wheels with hydraulic jacks one goes on each end was like $30 for a day) and get a couple of sheets of plywood if you need to roll it across tile or grass. Move one sheet in front of the other as you go. For the road part rent a truck with a lift gate, doesn't cost much for a couple of hours. ( Like $59 if you shop around) Sure makes things easy.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

UPDATE: I think I have a solution. I will know tomorrow.

Team Savage
    My wife and I loaded my Browning into a moving truck ourselves.700+ pounds. Get a appliance dolly and put it under the side of the safe. Go to the opposite side and put pressure at the top edge of the safe. Will roll like a monkey on a skateboard. It's all about levers and physics. Some good YouTube video.

Basic Member
    How many friends do you have? Are you moving up or down steps? 3 good size guys and an appliance dolly should get it to the vehicle. I would expect you could rent a small truck with a lift gate for half a day that would be a fraction of the cost of hiring safe movers. Mine weighs about the same, I've moved it twice. If I move again, I'll probably try to get the new owners to just buy it and get a new one.

Move a safe think like a Greek architect, use round stock steel bars 3 will do easy, I had one guy move a 1100 pound safe by himself, he made it look easy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I rented a piano moving rig for my safe, of similar weight. It has ratchet straps that go around the safe, then each corner has a lengthy solid hardwood handle (hinged), that allows 2 people to get purchase on.

6 people, my safe was a piece of cake. Just over 100lbs per person. Could have done most of the move with 2 people, except for the stairs.
    Cost me $50 for the piano rig, and another $25 for a case of beer for myself and my buds. Note - beer stayed in the fridge until the safe was in place...

Here's a video...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tric3imagery View Post
    Move a safe think like a Greek architect, use round stock steel bars 3 will do easy, I had one guy move a 1100 pound safe by himself, he made it look easy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I used 1.25" steel pipe sections to roll my safe out of the garage in my old home. Lifted it onto a flat bed trailer using a hardened eye bolt and a backhoe, then laid it down on the back, securing with heavy tie downs. Same procedure at the new house in reverse. An easy job for two guys. Of course pipes won't work on steps. Probably wouldn't work on any type of carpet either. If I ever want / need a safe inside the house, I will probably get one of these: https://zanottiarmor.com/