Thread: Being hit with something hot when shooting Savage 23AA

Basic Member

Being hit with something hot when shooting Savage 23AA

I've got a Savage 23AA that I'd like to get running. Last time I took it out I fired about 5 rounds and got some hot powder or metal or something hitting me in the face. Not sure exactly sure what it was. this time I'll grab a few different rounds to try and see if it was an ammo issue but I figured I'd see if anyone had ideas? Also it looks like someone drilled and tapped 4 holes on the left side of the receiver. Any idea this they could be for?

Basic Member
    The holes on the side were for a side mount for a scope. Looks like it was replaced with one of Brownell's universal dove tail mounts. To bad it's all drilled up!

Were you getting any ruptured cases?? That's the only reason I can think of that you were getting blow back!

Hopefully it's not a head space problem!! The barrel and receiver are all one piece!!

You could try putting plug screws in those four holes. But even so you shouldn't be getting blow-back into your face. What does the bolt face look like?

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...t-prod792.aspx
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    So here's a couple of images of the bolt.

Only thing I see is the spot where the square part of the blued firing pin looks like its slammed into the housing around the channel that the firing pin runs through and chipped it. Maybe the pin is going to far and rupturing the case. I'll take a closer look next time and see if that's it. I don't think that's what actually stops the firing pin though but its somewhere to start. I also ordered the plugs so at least it will look a bit cleaner. Thanks ill update after the next range trip.

It's a puzzle. The bolt looks looks pretty typical and any gasses should go down.

Do the ejected .22 cases show soot around the neck or rim?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Those holes were drilled for a Weaver N2 mount.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    That's pretty cool. I just found one on ebay. They said the glass needed internal cleaning. Could be worth picking up If its something I can clean up. Not sure if its made to be serviced though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEAVER-G4-3...frcectupt=true

I know Iron Sight Inc does repairs to those old Weaver scopes but they're not gas charged anyways so I'd take the lenses out and try to clean them myself first.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    So I went to the indoor range yesterday and didn't get hit in the face with anything. The only differences were the ammo. I don't remember what ammo I was shooting last time otherwise I'd try it again. I was also shooting offhand this time. I guess it could have been shooting out the bottom and bouncing off the table and into my face the first time but I'm really just guessing at this point. Anyways, thanks guys, I guess I'll consider the issue solved at this point.

I also found that the rounds weren't ejecting so I had to reach in the chamber and pull each case out. It looked like the ejector had broken off so I ordered one from Classic Firearms @ Parts LLC.

On a side note the scope I had was a pain to sight in. Not quite enough adjustment to get the horizontal zero. I figured the light weight rings must have been bent at some point, or maybe never really aligned right. I managed to bend it to where it needed to be by grabbing the scope and twisting a bit. Sounds horrible, I know but it worked. Anyways at this point I've got a running 22 rifle that I can shoot while I let my Savage Storm in 6.5CM and LRP in 6.5CM cool off. I just have to resist the urge to find a new base and rings (not even sure what I'd be able to get for this) and a better scope.

SoCal, I've had a similar problem with an old Winchester M1904 bolt action shooting low-power ammo. I think my chamber is just slightly oversize and the low-power ammo doesn't have quite enough pressure to obturate, or seal the chamber from some backpressure. As someone above suggested, a clue is usually sooty looking cases.