Thread: Recoil Lug Question-Non-Locator Pin Version

Basic Member

Recoil Lug Question-Non-Locator Pin Version

I’d like to ask for help please regarding the pictured recoil lug. I purchased this as a “used aftermarket recoil lug” that I plan on using on a non-Accu Trigger receiver/non-Accu Stock. I’m in the parts gathering phase and have not received my action yet. In the past I have used NSS trued recoil lugs which have had locator pins installed. I’ve done a little bit of searching on this site and have seen that, “by trial and error”, recoil lugs without locator pins can work. First question, does this lug look like it would work on a non-Accu trigger receiver/non-Accu Stock? 2nd question does the hole appear to be in the right location; because if it does I could have a friend tap the hole and install an appropriate sized Allen head screw which could serve as a locator pin. Thanks in advance for your help.

Looks to be a savage style. You might be able to find a pin for it. Do you have some calipers?
    When installing your own pin you will need to know he width and the depth of you actions alignment slot. If you pin does not fit with a small amount of clearance all of the way around it will influence the maake-up of the barrel nut and the recoil lug to the action interface. That is not good.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

2nd question does the hole appear to be in the right location; because if it does I could have a friend tap the hole and install an appropriate sized Allen head screw which could serve as a locator pin. Thanks in advance for your help.
    The pin location hole looks to be correct. If you can talk Fred/SSS into sending you a pin, that would be your best bet. I use to have several laying around, but I don't seen any at the moment. This would be your quickest way.

Your option you mention about your friend tapping the hole fro a small allen head is probably your only other option. I know there was a tool to keep the lug in alignment while tightening up the barrel nut, but someone would have to loan it too you as it would be cost prohibitive to buy one.

Quickest way, have your friend Tap the hole and put a small al.en screw in it. Many do this. Just measure the slot on the Action and don't go over this measurement. It can be tight, but that's it. I wouldn't want it loose.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    I appreciate you both taking the time to reply. I'll wait til my action arrives, take some measurements of the receiver notch and go from there. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hnts4fun View Post
    I appreciate you both taking the time to reply. I'll wait til my action arrives, take some measurements of the receiver notch and go from there. Thank you.
    I have several laying around, their all the same size pin. I will be glad to measure one or two for you.

Or give SSS/Fred a shout and see if he has one laying around. The only killer would be shipping of the pin!

Dennis

Basic Member
    They make a tool to center the lug while you
    install the lug. I think Midway has them.

Quote Originally Posted by twarren View Post
    They make a tool to center the lug while you
    install the lug. I think Midway has them.
    It would be cheaper to buy a new lug, vs. buying the tool, unless he is planning on using it several times a year!

Take a marker and mark the lug just below the hole. Assemble insuring the mark(and the hole) lines up with the center of the cut-out in the action as you tighten. With a soft mallet bump it to center it up before it is torqued. After the barreled action is torqued check to see if a .001-.0015 feeler gauge will slide under the action at the breach end.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Take a marker and mark the lug just below the hole. Assemble insuring the mark(and the hole) lines up with the center of the cut-out in the action as you tighten. With a soft mallet bump it to center it up before it is torqued. After the barreled action is torqued check to see if a .001-.0015 feeler gauge will slide under the action at the breach end.
    Thank you very much for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by hnts4fun View Post
    I’d like to ask for help please regarding the pictured recoil lug. I purchased this as a “used aftermarket recoil lug” that I plan on using on a non-Accu Trigger receiver/non-Accu Stock. I’m in the parts gathering phase and have not received my action yet. In the past I have used NSS trued recoil lugs which have had locator pins installed. I’ve done a little bit of searching on this site and have seen that, “by trial and error”, recoil lugs without locator pins can work. First question, does this lug look like it would work on a non-Accu trigger receiver/non-Accu Stock? 2nd question does the hole appear to be in the right location; because if it does I could have a friend tap the hole and install an appropriate sized Allen head screw which could serve as a locator pin. Thanks in advance for your help.

UPDATE: I sent you a barrel nut and a "RECOIL LUG w/pin" today! I couldn't find any pins, they are a needle in a hay stack.

The Recoil Lug didn't pass my inspection. The surfaces are good. The outer finish of the recoil lug is the issue. If you wanted to polish the outside surface out, it would work great!

Otherwise, you could take a 1/16 old drill bit, or anything this size and punch the pin out. Do it inside of a 1 gallon baggie, or an area where it's impossible to loose the pin. Carefully install it in your Lug tapping very lightly using a light brass hammer. You could also use a small piece of wood to put on top of the pin to minimize damage. There's an art to installing them. There very easy to destroy while installing.

If I can help you further, just let me know,
    Dennis