Thread: New Model 11 TH XP 6.5 Creedmore Jams alot when chambering bullets

New Model 11 TH XP 6.5 Creedmoor Jams alot when chambering bullets

Well I am sure someone here can help me, I just brought home my Savage Model 11 and naturally we need to try the bolt and see how it feeds, well, DAMN, not so good. Looks like unreliable would be the name for this one, anybody know how I can remedy this?
    6.5 Creedmoor
    Jams too much, it will get almost in there and then you have to pull back and give it another push to line it up. Some times you have to pull the bullet completely out.

Please Help, Im all ears!

So I am sending this rifle back to Savage. I hope they can work this problem out.

Basic Member
    Try adjusting the feed lips on the magazine. Open the front of the lips a little so the bullet is angled up a little more. Open the lips up just a tiny bit at a time until it feeds properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you cycling fast or at a slowr more normal speed?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I tried the adjusting of the mag. Help some but still you get a bad feed.
    Tried bolt at different speeds, if you go real slow, let the bullet pop up, stop, then slowly slide it in it will work , no way you can cycle fast, that works maybe 20% of the time, sent rifle to Savage, we will see what they say, I am not giving up on the rifle, just a set back..
    At normal speed , not fast, not slow, it will jam.
    I am not looking for fast bolt action, just reliable bolt action feeding. Savage should be able to figure this out. Looking forward to shooting the damn thing.
    Thanks for helping ..

That's not good. Were these factory loaded ammo?

Likely going to be the magazine lips, or else the magazine isn't fully seating, or something is physically keeping the bolt from going far enough back to cycle the head far enough behind the next cartridge.

I'm sure they'll do right, but a shame you have to be the QA inspector.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

i just bought a 110 hunter in 6.5 creedmoor and it has the same problem. tried two different types of ammo does it with both. doesn't do it every time but at least one out of four cycles. haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but hope it will wear in over time. if you figure it out, let us know what the problem is.

I wonder how long they will have my brand new rifle? I cant believe how many people have to really work on the magazines to get these to cycle correct. If it is just the mags, I will be surprised. But this is what I am hearing pretty much from everybody I talk too. I hope this rifle will at least be able to cycle follow up bullets and medium speed. Not fast, but not super slow... I will let you all know.

Yes off the shelf factory loads, 4 different kinds, all had loading issues
    Three new Mags, all factory, one that came with the rifle, and two I bought as spares.

When I was doing research for my build, I heard that the 6.5 Creed has always had feeding issues. It was one of the determining factors for me in choosing to go the .260 route as apposed to the Creed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    When I was doing research for my build, I heard that the 6.5 Creed has always had feeding issues. It was one of the determining factors for me in choosing to go the .260 route as apposed to the Creed.
    Didn’t know there was a feeding problem with 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a 6.5 and a 6mm Creedmoor and both cycle and feed flawlessly no matter how fast or slow I work the bolt. Minor magazine adjustment usually fixes most feeding issues.

Steve what models do you have? And when were they built?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    Steve what models do you have? And when were they built?
    I have a model 10t-sr that I put a 6.5 barrel on and a savage axis that I put a 6mm creedmoor barrel on.

Quote Originally Posted by steve101610 View Post
    Didn’t know there was a feeding problem with 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a 6.5 and a 6mm Creedmoor and both cycle and feed flawlessly no matter how fast or slow I work the bolt. Minor magazine adjustment usually fixes most feeding issues.
    Steve, That's just what I had heard/read while I was doing research... I wasn't trying to bag on the 6.5 Creed, but reading that is what pushed me towards the 260. The others being a slight edge in velocity and the fact that I didn't need the availability of factory loaded rounds, as I've never fired a factory loaded center fire round in my entire life.

Well I am sure someone here can help me, I just brought home my Savage Model 11 and naturally we need to try the bolt and see how it feeds, well, DAMN, not so good. Looks like unreliable would be the name for this one, anybody know how I can remedy this?
    6.5 Creedmoor
    Jams too much, it will get almost in there and then you have to pull back and give it another push to line it up. Some times you have to pull the bullet completely out.

Please Help, Im all ears!

So I am sending this rifle back to Savage. I hope they can work this problem out.
    I have a similar problem with a Mod 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. The rifle itself shoots beautifully, but loading it !!!! I took off the HS precision stock and got an MDT ESS stock for it using a genuine AI mag, but the rounds kept jamming between the bolt face and the bottom face of the barrel / chamber as though the bullet wasn't being lifted high enough. Even when single loading by hand I get rounds jamming Couldn't adjust feed lips as the bolt was dragging very slightly across lips
    Don't want the expense of getting a .260 barrel for it

Basic Member
    My Mod 12 LRP .260 Balboamore runs flawlessly. No adjustment needed.

I wonder how long they will have my brand new rifle? I cant believe how many people have to really work on the magazines to get these to cycle correct. If it is just the mags, I will be surprised. But this is what I am hearing pretty much from everybody I talk too. I hope this rifle will at least be able to cycle follow up bullets and medium speed. Not fast, but not super slow... I will let you all know.
    No problem with my M11 in .260 Rem. More gradual shoulder taper than the 6.5 Creedoor(?) By the time it gets to te shoulder, however, the bullet is well into the chamber area.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

That is a damn good description of the problem. Damn Good. I am not dragging though but that is what it looks like, and sometimes it will jam with the bullet about 10deg sideways to the right, you have to pull the bullet out and re chamber a new one. That is why I was sure it was the clips too. But I couldnt get em to work, tried alot and gave up. But you know how this works, someone on here probably could tune a mag in min and fix our problems completely, I would like to see it for myself..... But I am not doubting it at the least.

18. 01-18-2019, 08:49 PM
    Reason
    double post

Basic Member
    Ezmobile mentioned that the bolt was dragging the feed lips. This condition says the mag is going in too far.
    Without clicking the clip all the way in, try tipping it back a little to change the entry angle but so the bolt still catches the head of the case. If this seems to help you can shim the bottom metal at the rear with small thin washers.

Basic Member
    I read all the threads and I went with the 6.5x284 Norma, feeds like a dream, and you don't know how bad I wanted a 6.5 creedmoor !!!

Basic Member
    I have a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5mm Creedmoor with over 3000 rounds through it and it never had a problem feeding. The bolt operates like a dream. It uses a standard Savage magazine.
    I have a Savage 1OT-SR in 6.5mm Creedmoor that is a lot newer and it hasn't had problems feeding although the bolt is a bit less smooth. It too uses a standard Savage magazine.
    However, I found out with my first Savage 10 years ago that if the mag isn't seated rear first and pushed up onto the catch from the front of the mag, I might get failure to feeds because the mag front is too low in the well.

I have a Savage 11VT in .22-250 that has had some intermittent problems with feeding.
    I have to operate the bolt carefully to eliminate the feeding problem.
    I think it may be caused by the different type of magazine that has a very flimsy catch. If the mag isn't seated right, I get mis-feeds.
    The 11 VT magazine latch is on the bottom of the mag base - a cheaper and flimsier approach. I'm never sure it is seated correctly when I insert it.
    The standard Savage magazine release is embedded in the stock in front of the magazine.

Basic Member
    My 6.5 Creedmoor 12LRP feeds perfect, my 10T fed perfect. The only one of the 3 that doesn't was a .243 and got changed over to 6.5CM and only when it is cycled fast it will jam a bit sideways.

What bugs me is when I see someone with a savage just try to jam the magazine in and tap the bottom to get it in. They don't work that way, just put it in back first and click the front and it is perfect every time. people trying to jam it in seems to be a big part in the magazine and feeding problems people have... just look at the thing and it is obvious how it goes in.

Savage is now returning the rifle, I should have it soon, they said that the stock was not aligned correctly to the feed ramp. Also they replaced parts that they wont tell me what parts. So we will see, but this was not a mag issue.