Thread: building a stock?

building a stock?

So I am revisiting and hoping to actually get my rifle built this time. Today, I was looking for stocks and went to the Boyd Stocks website and watched there video on Stock LOP. I used this method and came up with needing a 2" spacer for the but stock and even that was about an inch short. Considering I will be wearing some heavy hunting shirts/coat, I am going to use the 2 1/8" spacer block as it. But this makes my LP about about 15 1/8". But it's the best I have ever felt so far too. I need to drill the block for holes and then take it out and shoot it first though.

My issue is. When I get situated on the rifle, I grab the pistol grip and my finger naturally buries itself up to the 2nd joint very easily. Totally making life uncomfortable.

I can't find any information on measuring the length for pistol grip to trigger or setting that information up.

Any body got some insight or direction to go?

No help, but 15" lop, How tall are you?

73" tip to tip arm span

Banned
    I think my original was somewhere around that, and I found it bothersome. Reason I took it apart and machined a new shoulder stock with a riser. Didn’t go by any measurement. Just made it to the length I thought would be good.

Concerning your question.., you aren’t likely to find this information. Everyone’s hand is different, so impossible really to list measurements. The only way to set that is to have a wider grip. This is the thinking behind several pistol makers using different sized back straps. This is do to hand size. It’s not something most get to involved in. Better to train your hand to use the same grip no matter the size. Otherwise you are looking for a custom application that you can’t really measure for.

May have to give ya a new nick name, knuckle dragger. JK.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
    73" tip to tip arm span

You might try to build up the back of the hand grip to see where you find a comfortable finger position. File in some finger inlets on the front to get it right.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
    May have to give ya a new nick name, knuckle dragger. JK.
    Had the wife help measure my wingspan again. My bad. 76".

Part of the issue also is with a 13" lop, I can't get a scope forward enough or my head back far enough to get correct eye relief on a scope. I'm working on a Stevens 200 LA and making a 280 Remington elk rifle and using a cheap plastic stock to get the dimensions correct and then looking to make a nice laminated or hardwood for it eventually.