Thread: Fox Hunting in Alaska: Tips, Tricks, Calls, Caliber Recommendations...

borg

Fox Hunting in Alaska: Tips, Tricks, Calls, Caliber Recommendations...

I was originally just going to PM 358Hammer, but I figured maybe a couple other fox hunters out there had something to say on the matter. Basically, I want to shoot, skin, and tan some fox this winter. Anything and everything you have to say on the subject will be read and appreciated.

Currently, my plan is to load some low velocity .223 rounds using Trail Boss. I'd like to make my own handcall (Alaska+winter=lots of spare time) but don't know how. I pretty much have no idea how to get started getting started. Yes, I will go to predatormasters and other forums like that to dig for this information, but I figured I'd shake down y'all for some solid information as well.

Basic Member

Re: Fox Hunting in Alaska: Tips, Tricks, Calls, Caliber Recommendations...

The .223, .22-250 with 50 grn fm jackets work great for fox and coyote here in Iowa.
    I recently have been using my stevens 200 rebarrel in 250 savage with 100 grn fmj.
    It takes the crosswind better and drops them where they are at.
    As important or even more so, is what you carry for them sneaky things, you have quoted about.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member

In Alaska, blowing a call to sound like a dying critter, I'd say a 375 H&H would be about right.

As far as making your own calls, get some deer antler and these reeds and go to town.

Drill a 1/4" hole length wise thru a 2" long piece of antler and press in one of these to make a closed reed.

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/car...ct_match=exact

Or to make an open reed call, drill a 5/8" hole thru a 2" piece of antler and press in one of these tone board kits

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/car...ct_match=exact

But remember, safety first. Lock all guns away securely before attempting to tune and practice predator calls in the same home with a wife all winter

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

borg

LOL. Thanks, Brent. That's exactly the kind of information I wanted. As far as artillery goes, a .223 should kill whatever comes running in the winter.

358Hammer

First time I have seen this area of the site.

Calling fox in Alaska is awesome when you are in the right place and time to call. If you call before Christmas and there has been little snow fall I would highly recommend a very large varmint round. This year we are weather mild and snow doesn't exist. We had terrible salmon runs everywhere on this end of Kodiak Island so bears are out and very hungry. The bears usually come to calls but they are very adament about coming to calls now.

I won't start calling until after the first of the year and hopefully those great big fox have gone into the mountains. I did call one in in February!

I do most of my hunting with a Striker in 17HMR and another STriker(wife) in a down loaded 223. I have had to sew a bunch of hides hit with that light loaded 223 so prefer the 17 a lot.

Neal

borg

Good to know! I had no idea. I'm up in Healy and we've had decent snow for this area but nothing spectacular. I haven't seen a bear in quite awhile, but I haven't been to the park in awhile either.* Never heard tell of my friends running into a winter bear while mushing, but I guess running around with a pack of dogs ain't exactly similar to sitting down and making like a wounded rabbit. I'd carry the .44 anyway so I guess it doesn't change my plans much, but calling in a bear sounds pretty finicky even when your strapped. Lucky for me I don't have to deal with them coastal griz.

Seen lots of fox and the pelts are getting thick. Thinking of calling this weekend.

*That's where I work in the summer, not where I hunt in the winter! Lots of bears to be seen in Denali!

Funny I have heard the FOXS are only attracted to each other and no matter how many time you call there busy washing there hair.

what is your legal response supposed to be when hunting and you become the hunted? big hassle if you shot a bear with out a tag?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

358Hammer

Actually Greg, about ten years ago I and another retired friend were trying to get the low down on a nice bear we saw on the beach (brown). We split the area and started a stalk placing the bear between us.
    Thirty minutes later I jumped the bear at 35 yards. He neither saw nor smelled me but never the less he spooked for some reason. I started calling in hope he would think I was a wounded deer. Then it dawned on me I was hunting heavy brush with a single shot 358 Win for a better than 1000 pound brown bear.

I got out of the brush in a hurry kicking my butt all the way to the beach and thankful that I did not have company for lunch as I was the lunch.
    Neal

A_Gamehog

Does anything stop you from trapping them?

Almost every time I checked my traps I had a fox.

Jack rabbit leg wired to a semi circle bush off a trail.

(You still get to "shoot" them)