Thread: Are you using boot dryer for hunting?

Are you using boot dryer for hunting?

Hi there! One question - does anyone using dryer for your hunting boots? I read the article here https://bestontests.com/best-boot-dryer-for-hunting/ - they (and also a lot of other sites) recommend DryGuy. What do you think, is it worth it? Thank you!

Basic Member
    We use a boot dryer. Our camp has a wood stove. Hanging from the ceiling on chain above the stove is the dryer.
    We had it fabricated and it works great. It can dry 4 upside down pairs plus other stuff. On the wall are a bunch of hooks for coats.
    Probably not the kind you have in mind though. lol

Basic Member
    My boot dryer has a skinny box just wide enough to fit over the vent tubes and tall enough to hang a custom stock. That’s what I use to dry tung oil projects. It would works for boots too.

I have for many years, it's a Peets boot dryer it came with extensions for hip boots, I took it on the road a few times and connected it to a power inverter, thus drying while driving.
    300WSM 26" 1:10 Med. Hvy. Varmit McRee Precision

Basic Member
    I have 2 boot dryers. They are on the end of my legs. Seriously though, I had issues with cold/wet feet when hunting here in the NW. I finally took a gamble and bought a pair of hunting boots from Cabelas. They were advertised as "insulated and waterproof" and my first thought was "yeah, sure". They had a guarantee so I went ahead and bought a pair. That first day out hunting I walked into the river to a depth of about 6 inches and stood there for 4 or 5 minutes. Lo and behold, no water. I hunted all day in damp ferns and grass and the only dampness was where my pants touched the top of my socks. I tested the insulation during the late hunt and found that I could walk in snow or be on stand for several hours and still have warm feet. So in my estimation, a boot dryer is OK if you have a place to plug it in.

Basic Member
    I am a logger and use a boot dryer just about everyday. I use a combination of neatsfoot oil, snowproor and saddle soap melted together on the keep my boots from drying out. I think anytime you get leather wet and then dry it out, you lose some of the oils that are in it. Replacing it help keeps them soft and waterproof.
    Run until your heart bursts

Basic Member
    Before I retired, I wore Rocky Insulated waterproof boots while on the PD. Stood in ice, snow, water, etc., and never had them leak. The only bad thing I found about them when I used them for hunting was that the Vibram soles tended to collect mud when walking, which of course made them heavy. But they never leaked, so I never needed a boot dryer.

I use the original dry guy type dryer, works really well, quickly avoids any fungus/odor from getting in my waders, especially if you do like I did and poke a hole right above the boot.

If you don't have one like this, or one period, I can't sing their praises enough.
    NRA Endowed Patron Life Member GOA Life Member TSRA Life Member NSCA Life Member

I fortunately haven't needed one in many years.
    We do hang waders on a rack in the garage with a fan.
    Quality regular hunting boots with Gore Tex are amazing.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.