Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis II XP

Basic Member

Axis II XP

so I seen Walmart has the Axis II XP for like 450 after tax..
    im wanting to get it in 6.5 CM.. the one im looking at has camo stock and it has havy barrel..

im also looking at the model 11 th in 6.5 it does not have camo stock or heavy barrel

the rifle I choose to buy will be used to hunt predators and varmints here in west texas

are there stock issues with the Axis II XP with it being flimsy near the barrel and causing scope zero issues? I heard there are

Most budget rifles come with the cheap flimsy stock! The 11 will hold its value better and has a lot more options on the aftermarket,the axis will be minute of critter accurate out of the box. The poi varies slightly but it’s not a huge deal!!! Most critters will be providing at least 4” of mass to hit, it may shift 1/2” at a 100.. not a huge deal but that 1/2” accumulates down range. If one was planning to shoot beyond 500 yards, I imagine a stock and a custom barrel would be in order for any factory rifle . If you plan to resale get the 11.. if your adding to your inventory then you can’t go wrong with the axis and the money saved buys more shells !

Basic Member
    Others may disagree, but in my experience the "flimsy" stock only becomes an issue if you are shooting off a bipod. The fore end has too much flex to allow proper use of the bipod, so if your plans include one you'd be better off with a stiffer stock. If, like me, you find a bipod more of a burden than an aide in your type of hunting, the standard stock will be fine.

I have what I call my "Walmart gun" a Axis II with the heavy barrel camo stock in 6.5 CM. Its a Walmart exclusive. I can not find fault with the stock. I mashed the forend tip as hard as I could and and a dollar bill will still slide without touching but I must admit I dont use a bipod I really dont like them myself. The short heavy barrel is handy but you do lose fps with its 22 inch barrel. Investment wise I dont think they will ever become valuable but from reading on this site many love to customize them. You could call it a mondorn day Mauser with all kinds of parts you can buy for it. Main thing is have fun with it! If you want a HB gun with a 26 inch HB look at the Cabelas 12FV.

Basic Member
    bipods are okay but I have a pair of homemade shooting sticks that I place the barrel on when I take my 243 out.. which its a Savage and I love it
    I have also considered getting another 243 and setting it up with custom stuff for calling varmints etc... but I am really like what I am seeing with the 6.5 creedmoor

The 6.5c looks impressive for the long range (1,000+) but I hold out on the new whizbangs personally . If it’s around in another 20 years I’ll think about it.. your 243 will do everything you want for varmint and some ! If you need more umph a 308 is never bad to have around and there’s tons of data on the cartridge as well as huge supplies of various ammo.

If you reload the 243, it’s in my opinion the most under appreciated long range round! Most of the commercial loads are setup for smaller shooters/smaller game. You can roll some hot 243 aka (6.5mm) and not need the 6.5c

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse_7.62 View Post
    The 6.5c looks impressive for the long range (1,000+) but I hold out on the new whizbangs personally . If it’s around in another 20 years I’ll think about it.. your 243 will do everything you want for varmint and some ! If you need more umph a 308 is never bad to have around and there’s tons of data on the cartridge as well as huge supplies of various ammo.

If you reload the 243, it’s in my opinion the most under appreciated long range round! Most of the commercial loads are setup for smaller shooters/smaller game. You can roll some hot 243 aka (6.5mm) and not need the 6.5c
    Actually it's 6mm, not 6.5. The advantage to 6.5 is heavier bullets with a better ballistic coefficient. Nothing wrong with the .243, but I'd choose a 6.5 as ranges stretch out. But, then, I have a long-running love affair with the 6.5s. Nothing a 6.5 Creedmore can do that a 6.5x55 can't do.

I stand corrected :)

Basic Member
    well I also like guns lol.. I have a .308 .243 two savage 22 rimfire.. 17hmr etc...
    I seen the damage the 6.5 creedmoor did to a coyote im not a pelt guy so lol..
    I think I may just have to get me the 6.5cm..

Basic Member
    The Creedmoor has been out for 11 years and gains a little more popularity each year.

Basic Member
    I know local academy an wal mart sell a lot of the 6.5cm.. the stores have told me so they sell a lot of the ammo also..
    I am hoping by Friday when I get paid I can get the rifle.. not a fan of the bushnell scope for it but it will work for now.
    I am a fan of vortex so more than likely that's what will go on the rifle is a vortex... and the gun has the accutrigger which is one of my favs

I have an Axis II XP... no problems this afternoon in staying zero'd for me. I have a standard tapered barrel. As an aside, it could use a muzzle break.

You'd be better served looking at the Savage 12FV that Cabelas sells... Not sure if you have one close or not.... It's cheaper and is 3 times a better rifle then an Axis or Axis II.

Basic Member
    the Savage 12 FV isn't cheaper at Cabelas its 419.99 before tax and I whould have to drive 3 hrs to go get it...
    the gun at wal mart is 398 before tax plus a scope no its not the best.. but get me by till I can get a vortex
    anyone have any idea on how much the gun from wal mart with the hb weighs

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CD82 View Post
    the Savage 12 FV isn't cheaper at Cabelas its 419.99 before tax and I whould have to drive 3 hrs to go get it...
    the gun at wal mart is 398 before tax plus a scope no its not the best.. but get me by till I can get a vortex
    anyone have any idea on how much the gun from wal mart with the hb weighs
    I have a Axis ll XP in 308 and it's a great gun; very accurate. I did make some changes, but it was only personal preference. First I didn't like the base/rings (the base came loss on several occasions), so I replaced all with Leupold. Further I also replaced the Bushnell scope with a Leupold V-2. It's not that the Bushnell scope is bad, but the optics are clearly it's Achilles heal; it's hard to explain, but you can see you are looking down a cheap scope. I also replaced the stock with a Boyd; they had a classic style for $150.00, so for me it was a no brainier. Again there is nothing wrong with the OEM synthetic stock, but I am used to a rigid stock, and the Boyd fit the bill.

Basic Member
    its still a toss up between the 11/111 and the axis ii xp from wal mart.. I thnk its kind of cool that it is a wal mart exclusive gun cause I find nothing on it on the savage webpage

the 11/111 will serve you better... It's a far better platform to build from (if you decide to do that) and the aftermarket support is far greater than the axis lines.

The only reason I bought an axis xp II was because my gun store had a massive sale on them and were out of .243 111s, which were also deeply discounted. Side by side you can see the cheapness of the axis.

Basic Member
    well we are getting a new bigger academy and it opens Friday so I am going to go there and look for an 11/111 possibly I got a 20% off coupon.
    so I am hoping they will have some in stock on the model 11/111 website says its online order only though heh

Basic Member
    Delete
    Last edited by Bad Bob; 03-30-2018 at 02:27 AM. Reason: DElete

Basic Member
    I'd go 11/111 anytime the price is in the same neighborhood. I like the action more, I like the Bolt more on the 11/111. But the axis ain't bad if it's all you've got around.

If you have an Academy around... they do price match + 5% off major retailers (Walmart & Cabela's included).

Cabela's would randomly have ads for the Axis II XP (With the Weaver Scope), wood stock on sale for $299.99. Go to an Academy and show them the ad and have them price match. It comes out to about $285 before tax. Don't forget the $50 rebate they often have for the Axis series as well.

I got my Axis II XP in 30-06. With Hornady's .30cal affordable 150gr FMJ in handloads, I get 0.22" groups (0.528" - 0.308") at 100 yards. A bipod, a sandbag, and a solid rest yielding 0.22" group out of an Axis II priced below $250... I was dumbfounded. Maybe I got a fluke rifle, but I ain't complaining.

I just bought the AXIS II in 223 at Wal-Mart for $419 out the door. Heavy barrel, a Bushnell 4-12x40 scope, 22-inch barrel, camo finish, AccuTrigger, haven't shot it yet but for the price you can't beat a Savage. I was considering the Remington 700 ADL in 223 for the same price but it has a blind magazine instead of the drop-box mag which I much prefer.

https://image.ibb.co/dcZwBx/sa.jpg

Got the same gun .bought a couple years ago . Looks different with the pepper Boyd’s in it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I also started with the Axis II in .223HB. It has been a great shooter for the price. But, for the small difference in price I'd go with the 12FV. Yeah, the Axis comes with a scope, but, if you are going to be doing a lot of work with it you'll want to replace it anyway.

The plastic stock on my Axis has done ok while working off a bipod. Yeah, it flexes a bit, but, the barrel channel is generous and it doesn't touch the barrel, even under 'load'.

Me? I went all in and got a 12BVSS :)

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast