Thread: savage B22F or marlin xt-22R

Basic Member

savage B22F or marlin xt-22R

Wanting to put together a lightweight bolt action 22lr hunting rifle. I have narrowed it down to the Savage B22F or Marlin XT-22R. I checked out a few other sights and it seemed to be a toss up. Marlin has a slightly longer barrel, savage seems to have a slightly smoother action and is 1/2 lb lighter, the price difference isn't enough for me to care (This is what I have read) I do not plan on changing out the stock on either gun. I will be using the gun mainly for 65 yds and under for hunting and maybe stretch it out at the range from time to time. Any feedback or observations about either gun would be appreciated. Thanks, Nate

I have the Savage B22 and am happy with the results. Shoots very well out of the box and easy to handle. It is not too pleasant to use with a BC 25 mag however. I tried several and all were unsatisfactory. The factory 10 rd works flawlessly. (just a pain to charge) Back off on the mag spring 1/2 turn and life is much better. (beware flying parts when opening) Buy extra mags when you purchase the rifle. I really do like this rifle!

I can't comment on the Marlin as I have never had one available, but I think that it would be a fun .22 to try.

Basic Member
    I have a B22fv and it’s a great little shooter, getting 5 shot groups smaller then a dime @50 yards with blazer and federal bulk ammo. Friends call it my cheater gun. Seems to outshoot anything they have. Its not like I have great glass on it either, just a Tasco 2.5-10x varmint target.

Second what Retired says about the mags. A bit of a pain to load but they do break in and quickly enough you will figure out the trick but all the same I have 3 of them.

Cant speak for the marlin.