Thread: I.D. help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

I.D. help

Sorry, I just couldn't put two and two together to Identify what I purchased. Pretty sure it's a Trophy Hunter, but did not know how to ID the light weight TH. Original owner thought what he was selling was an Axis, but I'm pretty sure it's a TH; wasn't sure how to I.D. the LWTH?

Model 11 engraved ( my Axis is engraved)
    Smooth barrel nut
    detachable mag
    Black syn. Stock same as those TH is see on GB
    accutrigger
    S.N. J372700
    22-250
    came without scope

I'm not sure, but I think the "Lightweight" version(s) have a spiral fluted bolt . . . maybe a 20" barrel?

What you describe is close to my M11 Trophy Hunter XP

I think there is a Lightweight Hunter and a Trophy Hunter, but not familiar with a Lightweight Trophy Hunter. But then they make a LOT of models.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Thanks Stumpkiller. That's what I thought it was also, just trying to verify 100%

Is the bolt shrouded or unshrouded? When looking at the barrel action junction is there a recoil lug? Lots of differences between a Savage Axis and an 11.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is the bolt shrouded or unshrouded? When looking at the barrel action junction is there a recoil lug? Lots of differences between a Savage Axis and an 11.
    Google was not my friend on this question, so I'm stumped. How to I identify the difference? I think I know the answer, but not at home to look at the differences between my two rifles.

Basic Member
    Post a picture if you can.

The Lightweight Hunter doesn't have a rounded action. The action has material milled off to reduce weight. Also the barrel is pretty thin compared to the Savage sporter barrel profile.

Basic Member

pictures

Didn't have a close up or one of just the bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190110_053854.jpg   20190110_053825.jpg  

Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP.

The roll stamping on the barrel will say "Model 11"

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting the pictures. Definitely not a Lightweight Hunter.

Basic Member
    Ok! Pretty much confirmed what I thought from searches on forum, but wanted to double check. Now the bigger question for me is the difference between this rifle ( Trophy Hunter ) and the Cabela's FV specifically? I know the TH has a detachable mag vs. the blind mag on the FV. I'm just trying to educate myself what is possible or what will fit my needs in the future if I decide to keep or sell this one. Just looking at Pro's and Con's , Thanks DWD

4" of barrel length. The FV is also a much heavier barrel profile (and two pounds more weight to lug around).

Basic Member
    I hate to sound like Captain Obvious here, but all you have to do is call Savage Customer Service and give them your serial number and they'll tell you exactly what model it was when it left the factory. Just say'n.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage

The 12FV is a varmint rifle, hence the 26" varmint weight barrel. At 8 3/4lbs without scope I would not want to carry mine in as a hunting rifle.