Thread: 12FV or 10 FCS HS ?

Basic Member

12FV or 10 FCS HS ?

I have the opportunity to buy a 10 FCS HS in .308, never fired and already has the Karsten adjustable cheek rest already installed and comes with a 20 moa scope mount for right at $700. I'm just wondering if the Cabelas 12FV for $420 + tax in either 6.5 Creedmoor or
    .308 might be a better deal. I most likely will only use either gun for deer hunting and possibly a little target plinking. Probably not over 200 yards and for sure not over 500 yards. Just wondering what would he the best deal ? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The 12FV will likely need a new stock for $200+ to match the 10 FCS. The 10 has a removable mag which is very nice. Your yardage is child's play for either gun and the 20 MOA rail is not necessary. Both guns are very heavy for a deer rifle...hope you work out ;-) Also remember you can get Cabela's gift cards for 10%+ off the face value to save some bucks.

Personally....I would likely get the cheaper 12FV and start modding it. But I enjoy building it to the exact way I like. You can't really go wrong with either and maybe you need to ask yourself just which caliber excites you more???

More thoughts: Are you going to handload or just buy off the shelf? .308 obviously has a *ton* of commercial choices and is much cheaper.

Basic Member
    I think you can probably get the 12FV much cheaper if you wait on a sale and rebate. There are even discounted gift cards out there that can reduce the price....if that is important to you.

I have a Savage 10 FCP SR. (24" 5R barrel model) It has the HS Precision stock and was my first Savage. I paid almost $1000 for it. I since put it in a XLR Chassis. I plan to use the stock on a 6mm BR build and just lately noticed it was out of spec somewhat. I had to sand inside the tang area because the tang was bottoming out on the stock. After getting that done, I then had to shorten the rear action screw because it was poking through the action and not allowing the bolt go in. I have two newer HS Precision stocks I have put 12FVs in from Stockys Stocks that are pretty much perfect. Does Savage get sub par HS Stocks? Probably not, just my luck.

If you can get the 12FV cheap, I agree with Celltech. I do like choosing what I want. Different color HS Stocks, like the OD Green look nice. (One color I have.) But, cost is gonna be close almost any way you do it.

Basic Member
    I hunted with my 12fv and killed deer, but if your main goal is to hunt, that model is a little heavy due to the longer varmint barrel. I had a hard time walking and keeping it on my shoulder because the heavier, longer barrel makes the rifle tend to flip upside down. And when deer would come in close, I felt like I had to move extra slowly because the rifle was long and might attract attention.
    I ended up cutting the barrel to 18” and it made it much nicer to hunt with.
    If your main purpose is hunting, you might consider looking at gun stores or pawn shops for a model 10 or 11 with a sporter barrel. They are shorter, lighter, and better balanced than a model 12FV. And you can get used rifles fairly cheap.
    If you would like help looking feel free to send me a private message.

Basic Member
    Forgot to add that on the Bass Pro site there is a $60 rebate for the 12FV...says nothing about where you have to buy it from.

Basic Member
    Personally....I would likely get the cheaper 12FV and start modding it. But I enjoy building it to the exact way I like. You can't really go wrong with either and maybe you need to ask yourself just which caliber excites you more???

Other than the stock what other modifications would you make to the 12FV ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    The 12FV will likely need a new stock for $200+ to match the 10 FCS. The 10 has a removable mag which is very nice. Your yardage is child's play for either gun and the 20 MOA rail is not necessary. Both guns are very heavy for a deer rifle...hope you work out ;-) Also remember you can get Cabela's gift cards for 10%+ off the face value to save some bucks.

More thoughts: Are you going to handload or just buy off the shelf? .308 obviously has a *ton* of commercial choices and is much cheaper.
    celltech
    Other than the stock, what else would you modify ?

Basic Member
    1. Install 110BA style oversized bolt handle
    2. Bed front lug
    3. Put on Talley lightweight mounts instead of rail and rings
    4. SSS extraction kit in bolt head
    5. Replace 2 front sling screws with 2.5" pic rail with integrated sling mount
    6. Drop trigger screw to min weight and cut down safety blade spring
    7. Check bolt firing pin protrusion and set to 35 thou
    8. Cut down 26" barrel to 20-22" range...on a .308 at least
    9. Consider DBM stock, bottom metal, and 10 round magazine
    10. Install pillars if no bedding block
    11. Replace crappy action screws with grade 8 cap bolts
    12. Get the 12FV in 6.5, sell off the barrel, and install an even higher end barrel of your choice

Basic Member
    If it were me and I was not going to mod it I'd get an Axis for hunting. Not so much money that I would not mind dinging it up and as accurate as you need at those ranges. Also fairly light. The only thing I might do is stiffen up the forend with some aluminum or steel tubing.

I punch paper so the 12FV would be my choice of the two mentioned. I also have a long distance range so the 6.5CM would be my choice in factory barrels. As stated above the rifles mentioned are on the heavy side, if that makes a difference to you. I would not spend that much money if I were going to be modifying the rifle.

Caliber would depend on game. 6.5 probably would be most flexible, or .308 if I did not handload. For me the 7mm-08 (or similar) is best for deer if the rifle of choice is in that caliber and you handload (not as many factory load choices as .308).

Basic Member
    I did build a light(er) 12FV by cutting a .308 barrel down to 18" and putting on a lightweight thumbhole stock. Still weighs 10.25lb with the scope:

Basic Member
    Charlie b

Did you change out the factory stock on your 12FV ? If so what did you replace it with ? Thanks

Glock,

My Brother has the 12FV and he replaced his stock with a Bobby Hart LRT (from stocky stocks). It's solely a bench gun for prairie dogs.

The other options for Laminate stocks anyway is the Boyds line. I have 2 of their stocks... They are on my 111 (.260 rem) and my Axis (22.250). The 111 is wearing the Pro Varmint and my Axis is wearing the Prairie Hunter. Both are good stocks and improved my groups.

Will say though: if you are going to be carrying it in the woods brush busting or whatever... make sure to get some stippling or something on them as they get REALLY slippery when they get wet.

Basic Member
    I don't have the 12FV. I have an Axis HB in .223 and a 12BVSS in .308. The Axis has a Boyd's Pro Vrmint stock, the 12BVSS was picked because of it's stainless barrel and nice stock so it won't get changed.

If I were to upgrade a 12FV I'd probably go with another Boyd's, maybe a benchrest model. Unless you shoot something like tactical long range matches. Then a chassis of some kind would probably be better. Just depends on what kind of shooting you want to do.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have been modifying my 12fv for hunting, my next mod will be an Accustock when I find one that fits.

Basic Member
    I have them both and feel that the 12fv is a doner, you can’t find a complete action for the price of a 12fv when there on sale! Then you sell the stock (if you can ) and barrel. Then finish it the way you want it!
    The 10 is ready to rock, so it’s really how much do you want to tinker with your gun. Do you just want to shoot and hunt.

My my problem is I like to tinker and that costs $$$$

Basic Member
    I didn’t like the weight of the 10 fcs (for hunting)so I bought a 20” fcp-sr barrel for it. Then the barrel got sold to fund more parts!
    Celltech- that looks like a sweet little shooter, how does it perform?

Basic Member
    The cut down .308 shoots Federal GMM into 1/2" groups. I was actually shocked as I just cut it with a hacksaw and crowned it with a shell reamer.