Thread: Yea, Its old....

Yea, Its old....

Hey guys,

First post here. I have a Model 110DL. I purchased it in either, 1977 or 1978. I was in High School in Arizona. I bought it with monies saved from helping harvest Watermelons. My father told me if I bought it, he would buy a scope and have it mounted. I did, and he did.

I took it deer hunting and actually managed to kill my first Mule Deer with it. That said, it never really shot as a Savage should. I put it in the back of Dad's gun safe and forgot about it.

Time passes and pop passes. I inherit the guns and safe. I have accumulated many guns since then and in fact have my own Ft. Knox safe.

Recently, I took it our from the back of the safe to put the scope on another rifle I had. I removed it and noticed several brass shims under the mounts, in uneven thicknesses, side to side.

I got to looking closely and could visibly tell the barrel was NOT IN ALIGNMENT WITH THE RECEIVER. Its not much, but enough to see it with your eyes.

I contacted Savage customer service. I got passed back and forth on several phone calls. But was told the company was sold and we can't help you. They were very polite but couldn't do anything. They offered up a gunsmith at my expense.

40 years had passed. A bunch for sure but to contrast, I have a Smith & Wesson (Howa) Model 1500 in .243. It was built in 1977. I was made aware of a bolt problem. They replaced the bolt, no questions asked. S&W has been sold 2, perhaps three times since.

Any other idea's?

Regards,

Outtaline.

Basic Member
    Safety issue vs assembly issue? After all, the rifle probably shoots within their tolerances.

Team Savage
    A lefty? What cal?

Basic Member
    A couple things come to mind.
    1) if it shoots decent now, a switch to Burris signature Z rings with the off set inserts could cure the shim problem. Or a switch to the Leupold windage adjustable mounts.
    2) Savage has always had it share of problems with misalignment. Caused by incorrectly drilled holes, recoil lug thickness issues, and sometimes poor barrel thread fit combined with the recoil lug inadequacies.
    If I was going to satisfied with it shooting as it is, I would change the mounts and shoot it. If I was to rebarrel it it would get a new lug and barrel nut (but even then it still might require corrective scope mounts).
    My .02,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    A lefty? What cal?
    Its a 30-06. Its in amazing condition. When I had it on the stand, I gave it a good looking over. The rifle is in 99% condition.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    A couple things come to mind.
    1) if it shoots decent now, a switch to Burris signature Z rings with the off set inserts could cure the shim problem. Or a switch to the Leupold windage adjustable mounts.
    2) Savage has always had it share of problems with misalignment. Caused by incorrectly drilled holes, recoil lug thickness issues, and sometimes poor barrel thread fit combined with the recoil lug inadequacies.
    If I was going to satisfied with it shooting as it is, I would change the mounts and shoot it. If I was to rebarrel it it would get a new lug and barrel nut (but even then it still might require corrective scope mounts).
    My .02,
    Randy
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll have a guy that has built a couple rifles for me put a trigger on it and maybe even a SS barrel. He built the a Sako .375 that shoot like a dream. Its a shame not to use such a nice piece.

I'm just kinda shocked at the lack of caring to fix an obvious poorly built factory rifle. As I said in my OP, S&W jumped on the bolt issue on my 1500. Its 42 years old. And S&W has been sold 2 or even three times since.

You kept it happily for 40 years ands NOW you want them to do something about it?

Sheesh.

As I recall from a prior manufacture I worked for that a "lifetime" warranty is defined as legally lasting 25 years.

I don't see it as having been urgent on your part so I don't blame them for not jumping on it. Do you have the original receipt? Take it back to the dealer.

We used to have friends that once the wife "returned" a steak for being tough and undercooked . . . after she had eaten 3/4 of it. They're not my friends anymore as it was not the only time.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik