Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12FV Build- Opinions needed

Basic Member

12FV Build- Opinions needed

Recently bought the Cabelas 12FV in 6.5CM and could use some help on where to take the rifle. So far I’ve only tried 1 type of ammo through it and I’m having some struggles with accuracy. Before I blame the rifle I’m going to try some other ammo and possibly a new scope and bed the action. But, what i could use advice on at the moment is what to do with the stock and what bipod you guys are running successfully (currently have a Caldwell). This will be a do it all whitetail, coyote and range rifle.

Option 1- chassis due to the customization options but at this point I’d be in the rifle for more than buying something like a 10BA that has a factory chassis.
    Option 2- cheaper option. I’ve considered Boyd’s stocks for the price but not crazy about having to pillar bed after the fact. Also considered a Choate or similar stock but if I’m not getting a chassis I’d want the cost to stay under $300.
    Option 3- leave the factory stock on it and bed the action and put a cheek riser on it. This would be the most economical but I could see myself still wanting to replace the factory stock down the road

Other than that I’d like to get a new bolt handle for it and possibly a new scope in the future. I’d like your guys opinion on these options and if it’s even worth bedding the factory stock and also what others are seeing accuracy wise with factory ammo. Best 5 shot group so far has been about 1.5” at 100 yards, others were uglier (With myself and another shooter behind the gun).
    Anyone else have a completed build of a 12? Would love to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12FV stock is it's weak point. If you reach up to the forend and pinch the stock and the barrel together, the stock touches the barrel. If you try to twist the stock at the same point, you will see it twist and touch the barrel. Try shooting off a front bag instead of a bipod to start. Make sure to push the gun into the front bag almost right up to the mag housing, so you have no weight on the forend of the stock. If your groups improve (which they should) then you know its the stock. I run a Harris Bipod on my 260 (11/111) with a Boyd's Pro varmint stock and I've had good results with it... Hitting a 10" gong at over 900 yards.

My Brother has the 12FV chambered in 22-250 and he put a Bobby Hart LRT on his rifle,(from stocky stocks) which turned it into a 10 round one ragged hole shooter @ 100 yards. His does not have pillars in it either, but I've heard that they do have pillars in them now.

Good luck to you,

Basic Member
    As far as a chassis goes the new MDT Oryx is looking like a "cheap" budget offering at $400. I have both Boyd's and Bell&Carlson stocks on my 12FVs. The B&C tactical runs $270 and is a plug and play option...full aluminum block running down the action. On the Boyd's I end up adding pillars and bedding the lug. I personally never have good luck bedding the plastic stocks and would just rather get something decent.

Here is a 12FV in .223 on a B&C. Shoots 69gr Sierras into 1/2" all day long. I have since added the 10BA style large bolt handle and love it.
    The pink stock is a $99 outlet special from Stocky's with a .22-250.
    And finally the Coyote stock is a Boyd's with a .22-250 I built for my dad.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    As far as a chassis goes the new MDT Oryx is looking like a "cheap" budget offering at $400. I have both Boyd's and Bell&Carlson stocks on my 12FVs. The B&C tactical runs $270 and is a plug and play option...full aluminum block running down the action. On the Boyd's I end up adding pillars and bedding the lug. I personally never have good luck bedding the plastic stocks and would just rather get something decent.

Here is a 12FV in .223 on a B&C. Shoots 69gr Sierras into 1/2" all day long. I have since added the 10BA style large bolt handle and love it.
    The pink stock is a $99 outlet special from Stocky's with a .22-250.
    And finally the Coyote stock is a Boyd's with a .22-250 I built for my dad.
    Beautiful rifles celltech. How’s the cheek weld on the B&C? How much does it weigh? That’s the look I’m going for.

I’ve already put JBweld in the stock and Dremeled our the forearm to make sure the barrel is free floated. It’s as rigid as it’ll get. Once the weather breaks I’ll take it out again but I already tried front and rear bags. I don’t mind working on my rifles which is why i enjoy savage but I’m getting itchy to get this thing shooting right.

Basic Member
    Cheek weld is something I have never been picky about. They all work fine for me, but I use Tally mounts and slam the scope as low as reasonably possible.

Heavy...~12.6lb with the scope There is nothing lightweight about a 12FV with it's 26" howitzer barrel. But the B&C stock is solid and feels great in the hand.

Basic Member
    This laminate stock comes with pillars installed. Just drop your action in and go shoot. I put a 12FV in 223 into one and it's a tack driver with a Vortex Crossfire II scope. You might also read up on torque tuning your action into the stock. http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

Finally give Hornaday 140 grain American Gunner ( in a 50 round box) a try. Shot very well in my 6.5 CM.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I have been involved with shooting since 1972. Have you been saving brass that you have been shooting? Eventually you might try reloading. That is a good avenue to accuracy.

Team Savage

My 12FV was a 3/4 MOA shooter out of the box with Hornady Precision Hunter 143ELDX and 1/2 MOA with my hand loads using Nosler 129ABLR that all with the factory plastic stock.

Last week I replaced my factory stock with a Bobby Hart LRT based on positive comments from Sage Rat Shooter. I can verify they now include steel pillars. I have not yet had an opportunity to shoot due to crazy high winds, but I expect it to be even better than before. Will post a pic tomorrow.

If you've only tried one load and shot it off a bi pod and are getting 1 1/2 minute, I'd venture to say it's a little (a lot) early to be worried that a rifle isn't living up to it's accuracy potential and changing parts around. That is unless you just want a different aesthetic with most likely the same outcome on target along with frustration.
    In my opinion handloading is the most accuracy improvement for the money period on a modern firearm in good working order.
    If you cant handload then you're most likely gonna need to try a couple of different loads by different manufacturers in different bullet weights before you find a really good one.
    Get off the pod and get some shooting bags or a sled and try different loads until you find the one it likes.
    You can also try torque tuning. Torque tuning can change the harmonics using the tension of the action screws and has worked well for me on more than one occasion to go from good to great. http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/
    I'm pretty sure with a little patience and luck you'll find that with the right load your 12 FV will be very accurate right out of the box. Remember, each rifle is an individual so what works in one 12FV isn't necessarily your golden ticket, and the right load can make all the difference in the world.

Just for thought, My brother found a 111FYAK in .270 for sale used $350 with 10 boxes of 150gr ammo of various makes and bullet styles. He didn't jump on it and someone else bought it, kept the ammo, and re listed it 50 bucks cheaper. The second go around and with plenty of "if you dont hurry up and buy it, I will" he purchased it. He bought 150gr core loct and 130gr Federal power shok blue box. While the 150s were all over the place, The 130s all went in the same hole with the cheapest .270 ammo you can buy at wal mart. Sometimes you get lucky and the load finds you. Man that rifle will stack 10 into one hole you can cover with a nickel. I guarantee if the precious owner had tried the 130gr Federal power shock that rifle never ever would have been for sale much less at that price. Just wont shoot 150gr ammo well. Sometimes better to be lucky than good
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    My go to ammo for testing a rifle is Federal Gold Medal Match. It has always been accurate, sometimes as accurate as my handloads. I am also partial to Sierra Matchking bullets so my opinion may be biased. I just never judge a rifle until I try GMM in it.

FWIW, I would also caution against judging a rifle before it is even broken in. My 12BVSS took some intensive break in before it was less than MOA.

Stocks and scopes are personal things, IMHO. I know some people who like their hacked up plastic stocks, and they shoot well with them. I like wood stocks. Some of those same people consider a scope adequate if it holds zero for any length of time, even if it isn't the clearest optics around. I like scopes that are clear at higher powers with MOA marked reticles.

I have a Boyd's on my Axis (.223) and like it a lot. Being a .223 I did not pillar bed it. Works well. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I don't care for chassis stocks.

The cheap Bushnell that came with my Axis did just fine, but, I swapped it for a Vortex Diamondback just to get a better reticle and adjustments. It helped that I got it on sale before Christmas. The BVSS has a Viper PST. I love that scope, but, it is a bit expensive.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input guys. The stock is mostly for preference but if it shoots better with it that’s a plus. A question about stocks- has anyone converted a 12FV to detachable mag? If so how did you do it (stock/bottom metal/mag type).

Hoping to get some groups together Sunday. A high of 32 and cloudy isn’t ideal but we’ll see. My LGS has a good variety of ammo so I’ll grab a few different types and ditch the bipod and give a range report.

The stockys stocks coming with steel pillars is intriguing. They look promising for the price for sure. I’m actually not that worried about weight as I’m young and in Indiana the only hiking I do is a quarter mile or so from the truck to the tree stand. I’d rather have something that fits right, looks good and shoots better than being lightweight.

Anyone know if Magpul has any intentions of making a savage stock? A buddy has one on his R700 and it feels nice and is adjustable which is a plus for going from thick hunting clothes to summer clothes at the range.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    I have been involved with shooting since 1972. Have you been saving brass that you have been shooting? Eventually you might try reloading. That is a good avenue to accuracy.
    Yes I’ve been saving all my brass. Reloading isn’t a thought at this time being in an apartment I don’t really have a place to do it or the time. Grabbing some ammo as they come on sale or on my way to the range is too convenient at the moment. But saving the brass for the future.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpb681 View Post
    A question about stocks- has anyone converted a 12FV to detachable mag? If so how did you do it (stock/bottom metal/mag type).
    I have completed one and am working on another. One uses all OEM savage DBM. The other started out as a Boyd's DBM stock meant for savage OEM parts. I am putting in PTG AICS metal and had to mill out the mag well area and the front part where the action screw "pad" is. It's not that difficult of a task.

Basic Member
    My brother put his 12FV - 6.5CM into a B&C Tactical he hand loads one ragged hole 5 shot groups with the stock being the only rifle mod.

Basic Member
    Anyone know if Magpul has any intentions of making a savage stock?
    No, but I'd be more interested if KRG started inletting their Bravo chassis for Savage actions than if Magpul started making a Savage stock. I haven't handled anything from Magpul that felt solid and well made.

I think your best value option, read inexpensive and requires little work, is the Stocky's stock and some epoxy for bedding.

Team Savage

Not as pretty a picture as the others but you get the idea..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timbercolor.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	5562

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    No, but I'd be more interested if KRG started inletting their Bravo chassis for Savage actions than if Magpul started making a Savage stock. I haven't handled anything from Magpul that felt solid and well made.

I think your best value option, read inexpensive and requires little work, is the Stocky's stock and some epoxy for bedding.
    Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards that option as well. The Bravo would be right up my alley if it was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Not as pretty a picture as the others but you get the idea..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timbercolor.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	5562
    Good looking rifle. Which stock is that?

Quote Originally Posted by yzinger02 View Post
    Good looking rifle. Which stock is that?
    That stock (in PhilC photo) is the Bobby Hart LRT (from stocky stocks). It's one of the best laminate stocks on the market for the 12FV.

Basic Member
    https://vgy.me/BL8Hh2.jpg

My setup with 12FV action. Choate stock, Accuracy Barrel from EABrown, brake from Brownells, Sightron scope. under 1" at 200 yards. 41.8 gr 4350, 142 gr Sierra HPBT

https://vgy.me/OpXhe3.jpg

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamu25 View Post
    https://vgy.me/BL8Hh2.jpg

My setup with 12FV action. Choate stock, Accuracy Barrel from EABrown, brake from Brownells, Sightron scope. under 1" at 200 yards. 41.8 gr 4350, 142 gr Sierra HPBT

https://vgy.me/OpXhe3.jpg
    Impressive shooting. I’d like to get a threaded barrel at some point for this 12. Or possibly thread the stock one if I get the itch for a project. How do you like the Choate? It looks nice.

Basic Member
    The Choate is great for the price. Solid, heavy and fits well and rather inexpensive. I bought the barrel and vice and head space gauges and watched YouTube to learn how to do my own. Quite a lot of fun . Should have bought the barrel threaded. Had about 700 total into the gun not including the brake. Also working up your own hand loads is tons of fun.

Basic Member
    I just bought a stealth chassis at Numeric for 301 shipped. Bought 2 MDT poly mags for $70 shipped from Brownells using $10 off plus free shipping.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    I just bought a stealth chassis at Numeric for 301 shipped. Bought 2 MDT poly mags for $70 shipped from Brownells using $10 off plus free shipping.
    Post some pictures when you get it please.

Picked up a crossfire 6-24x50 yesterday and some cheap rings at the LGS. Really happy with the scope so far. Tried Hornady 129gr and S&B 140gr today and it seems the S&B has grouped the best so far. Any suggestions for medium 30mm rings that won’t break the bank? The ones I have now are letting the scope slip a little after about 40 rounds today.

Next will be a cheek riser I think. Would make the factory stock much more user friendly.

Basic Member
    Any suggestions for medium 30mm rings that won’t break the bank?

Talley lightweight 1 piece mounts...

Basic Member
    Some updates from Sunday while I was zeroing the scope- the first picture here is to prove to myself I don’t suck horribly using an old 11 in 223 with a cheap Tasco that sits in the garage for coyotes:

The shot to the left was the very first shot (getting used to the heavy trigger after shooting my accutrigger). The rest of the group is 2 different types of ammo that I had laying around. Still a decent group at 100 yards. This rifle has a factory hardwood stock and spotter barrel.

Groups with the 12FV:
    this was my best 5 shot group at 100 yards. As you can see it measures roughly 2 inches.

This was the other target used for sighting in. Couldn’t get a definite zero since it seemed my shots were hitting randomly. On this target I was trying bipod+rear bag, front+rear bag, front bag only, etc. as well as 2 different 140gr rounds and Hornady American whitetail 129gr just for curiosity. The targets are 1” squares/intervals FYI.

Call me crazy but shouldn’t this rifle be grouping better?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast