Thread: Trophy Hunter package rifle weights - short and long action

Trophy Hunter package rifle weights - short and long action

I'm in the market for a 270 or a 7mm-08 rifle, and I want something lighter weight than my 7.5 lb (without scope) Weatherby Vanguard. I'm looking for a hunting rife - nothing fancy. I'm considering the Trophy Hunter XP package, and was curious about the weight of these rifles without the scope, and also the weight difference between short and long action Savage rifles. The Savage website says there's a .75 lb difference between the 11 and the 111 Trophy hunter rifles.

Have any of you weighed for yourselves one of these rifles? Or do any of you know the actual weight difference between the short and long actions on the standard Savage rifles (not the LWH version).

Thanks!

I've got a Stevens 200 LA in .30-06. My intention is to make this into some sort of Elk rifle chambered in .280 Rem. Life happened and I started this project 10 years ago it seems and am now going to try again to get it complete.

I weighed it today just off chance and it was 6 lb 14.5 oz. Weight with rings, no scope.

I hope to get this into the 7# range with the scope. I've got a 22" .30-06 barrel on it at the moment and want to convert it to .280 Rem. Same case, but .284/7mm bullet. Probably going to go with a Boyd stock on it. I used there website and found the instructions on figuring the LOP and I have to get a 14 1/4" LOP stock according to their method. I make a 2 1/8" spacer for the synthetic stock I do have and I must admit, it's 10X more comfortable than the stock 13 1/2" LOP.

Check out the Savage site. They give weights for different setups.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/trophy

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Check out the Savage site. They give weights for different setups.
    Do you know if those numbers are accurate? I'm just surprised that there's a 3/4 pound difference between the short and long action rifles. With the new hunting package with the Vortex scope, the difference is only .3 lbs, and in that case the barrel on the short actions has been shortened to 20" vs 22" on the long actions. On other rifles listed on the website, the difference between short and long action is hardly anything at all. Sometimes Savage doesn't even list a weight difference.

That's why I'm asking here - the website numbers don't always add up.

I can't upload pictures or I'd show you my rifle on the scale yesterday.

Stevens 200 LA, .30-06, synthetic stock with rings. 6# 14.5 oz. Scope I want is 13 oz. Looking at cutting off 6" from the barrel to save another 8 oz. Should put me right at 7# rifle.

It's basically a Savage 110 LA

Banned
    Tikka

Stevens 200 LA, .30-06 syn stock, 2" spacer, rings, no scope. - 6# 14.5 oz

Savage model 10 SA, .243 win Boyd laminated stock, center point 3X-9X 44mm scope 8# 11.6 oz

Experience has shown me, the Stevens is pretty stout for recoil at such a light weight. If I keep it this light, a muzzle brake is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
    I can't upload pictures or I'd show you my rifle on the scale yesterday.
    No, I wasn't doubting the accuracy of your numbers - I'm wondering about the numbers on the Savage website. Thanks for your info!

Pictures were more so you can see what the actual rifles and everything how they were set up