Thread: Savage 111 Flat Back Project

Savage 111 Flat Back Project

Alright guys new to the forum and need some opinions. Building my 7mm mag to shoot at long ranges up to a mile. The gun shoots lights out as it is but the only issue i have is the trigger. Ive looked into the rifle basix sav-2 but thats all i could really find. Any input is appreciated and any other modifications you may suggest please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    Aim Small Miss Small -The Patriot

The RB Sav2 is a good trigger. Your trigger can be modified but safety is an issue One of the best things you can do is change the wire spring to a smaller diameter and get some good trigger grease. That modification requires some precautions. The Timney has a different spring setup and is good. Nothing beats the SSS trigger(no longer made). I wish Fred would sell the design to someone who wanted to put it back on the market..
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I agree with Robinhood about the SSS trigger. I have both the RB Sav2 and several SSS Comps. I like the SSS comp better than the RB Sav2.

Thanks guys for the reply. So is there no where to find the SSS comp?
    Aim Small Miss Small -The Patriot

If you have an old 3 screw trigger (the one with the sear adjustment screw) then the factory trigger can be adjusted really nicely.
    The only thing I would have to add to the following article and based on my experience adjusting many of these triggers, is to definitely go with a new thinner trigger spring (make one from music wire from the hardware store or even the arm off of a spinnerbait using a pair of pliers) and ALWAYS make sure you have a slight arc in the trigger spring. If it lays flat like the one in the pic then tension on the trigger return can very possibly get kinda sketchy and the sear may not fully engage the trigger for a full reset. Not trying to scare you but to inform you because the process is quite easy but If the sear only partially resets onto the trigger then it can be dangerous and may fire as the safety is turned off. Also ALWAYS once you're happy with the adjustments, lock the adjustment screws down with some loctite or nail polish.
    Personally I have never found stoning the sear or trigger surfaces to be necessary but have lightly polished a couple with some polishing compound.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ent-Procedures

If you do a good adjustment you'll probably be amazed at the results. The older 3 screw triggers are getting harder to come by anymore since it's been so long since they were in production.
    Good luck and be safe
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I’m guessing that your biggest challenge is going to be load development and reading the wind. I’m assuming the barrel you have is capable of holding a small enough group to even determine where your hitting at that range.
    Anyway the SAV-2 is a good trigger but not really suitable for hunting.