Thread: No more left-handed Axis?

Basic Member

No more left-handed Axis?

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and just wondered if anyone knew anything. It looks like Savage may no longer be manufacturing the Axis in a left-handed version. It doesn't come up on their website under left-handed centerfire rifles.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...atures_sm=Left

A few dealers seems to still have them in stock, but the price seems to be creeping up. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything official.

Thanks!

Dang it... I think you are correct man... Seems to be a lot less Lefty options to choose from. Seems like we "Southpaws" always get the short end of the stick...

Basic Member
    Yeah...there's the model 11 Trophy Hunter XP, but the Axis would be a more cost effective platform to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    Yeah...there's the model 11 Trophy Hunter XP, but the Axis would be a more cost effective platform to upgrade.
    Just my .02..... It may be the most cost effective platform to upgrade ( I know, because I built one to the nuts)... However, I don't feel that it's the best platform TO upgrade for us southpaws. I've built off of the Axis and 111 Trophy hunter lines, and I have to say that the 111 platform had far better aftermarket options to choose from. Stock options were better as well as quality bottom metal for those stocks. You also get the accutrigger which is a huge step up from the standard 5-7 lb trigger that the Axis has.

The 11/111 I feel is also much easier to pillar and glass bed the action for that precision rifle you will or are building. I put a Varmint contour CBI on my 111 and a Pro Varmint stock from Boyds. Wanted to build my Axis that way too from the beginning, but there is not a heavy barreled Boyds stock available for us Southpaws in the Boyds line... Except maybe the Featherweight TH Stock, which I didn't want.

Had to settle on a heavy sporter CBI barrel and a Prairie hunter stock for my Axis build. Not really the best setup for a Prairie dog gun... Just throwing this out there for you to think about... I wish I'd have known back then when I was thinking about my first build (Axis).

Good luck,

Basic Member
    I'm where you were a few years ago. Is it true you have to buy new bottom metal for the 11/111 when you upgrade the stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Solid View Post
    I'm where you were a few years ago. Is it true you have to buy new bottom metal for the 11/111 when you upgrade the stock?
    It is true for the 11/111 and the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. Not sure about the others, but probably... You have to call Savage and have them send you the "Bottom metal for wood stocks" if you go with the PV. It came in "plastic bottom metal" like the standard stuff you see that comes stock... Or actual "real bottom metal" which is the way I went... Cost about $150.00.

The Axis didn't require new bottom metal for the Prairie Hunter stock.

Glad I have a Axis II 270 Win, and Leopold Scope Mark II, with Boyd's stock, I upgraded!

Sure making harder for us lefty's.

USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

Basic Member
    Well, I found a shop just a couple miles a way with a left-handed Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor, just like I was looking for. Price is $305, which isn't great, but I don't think I'll find better unless I get really lucky on the used market. They're holding it for me while they confirm Savage is discontinuing the left-handed Axis. It's a shame that you can buy the Axis XP for the than the model without the scope, but I'd probably want a new scope soon anyway.

Still open to advice.

I can assure you that the LH Axis isn't being discontinued. The 2019 Media Kit I received lists 9 standard and 2 compact LH Axis models. Oh, and they also get the new style stock as shown. Still don't know why they can't make it an Axis II for us lefties so we get a decent trigger, but it is what it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA_57247_AxisLH_223Rem_L_converted.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	5588
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    J. Baker, that made my day. Looks like it gets an adjustable length of pull too. Thanks for sharing.

1bdvet, that rifle is gorgeous!

Thank you Solid!
    USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

I'm not sure if they have an adjustable LOP or if that's just a styling line. Nothing in the literature indication adj. LOP so I would assume it doesn't. Also, the fact that they're still offering separate standard and compact models would lead me to believe it's non-adjustable as well.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain