Thread: What model 99 and any other info?

Basic Member

What model 99 and any other info?

I have a lever 99, #2444xx in 300 Savage. It's a breakdown model with a Schnabel forend, blued lever. Marble rear dovetail sight and a post front sight. I found it's made in 1922. What model would this be? Any other info on it would be useful to me. I'm getting a Lightfoot scope mount for it so it's just a basic deer rifle to me, I have no intention of selling it, but could anyone put a value on it? Just curious I see them go for around $500 on gunbroker. It's in fair shape except for a chip out right behind the rear tang, and if it's not supposed to have a hole drilled in it near the bottom rear of the stock for a sling mount, there's a hole there with a bit of chipping around it too. It seems to shoot good. Any good link to info on these rifles? I find a lot of links but not much real info.

Is it checkered?

Whats the barrel length?
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    The forend is checkered from one side to the other in a sort of double Z pattern around the bottom. The Schnabel is very pronounced and somewhat pointed at the bottom. The hand grip part right above the oval part of the lever is checkered in a sort of V pattern on each side with the V opening towards the front. Barrel is 23" from the receiver to the end and is nice and tight. The numbers match under the forend and beneath the butt plate. The usual American Indian Savage trademark at the bottom of the butt plate. What's with that deep hole under the butt plate? From the pre-war ones I've seen sold on gunbroker, the blueing is in much better shape on mine. I'd say it's about 85% or better. Blueing wear is mostly around the muzzle and a bit on the lever. Rifling is excellent. Front post is a bit rounded, maybe it's supposed to be like that? Gun works great. Like I say, a chip out of the rear stock right behind the tang, a few around the butt plate and that hole for a sling in the bottom. Not sure that was supposed to be there.

I'm still trying to get the lightfoot mount for a scope due to my aged eyes, but he seems to be ignoring me after the initial email from him with instructions. Hope he hasn't disappeared. I'd really like to get one.

Model 99G.

Basic Member
    Looks a lot like this one. https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101148565
    But my front sight is smaller and more of just a straight post. The blueing on mine is much better, that chip by the tang is almost identical but his stock is in somewhat better shape, at least the rear. My front forend is in better shape. And my S/N is much lower, 2444xx.

What is it makes a 'G'? There's no markings to that on the rifle I can find.

Looks like lightfoot is having problems with his email account. This may take a while and deer season will be over here in VA, opps it's already over the 5th. That may not matter.

It says 99G right in the title of the one you just posted.

It's a T/D with a pistol grip and checkering and with that serial number puts it as a 99G.

Basic Member
    Yes, there's a G in the title of the article, but nowhere on my rifle can I find a 'G', that I've seen.

You won't find a model designation on your rifle, I think the only two that ever had it was the DL and the F.

Just from your description did I come up with 99G, it's the only one that fits.

Basic Member
    If your '99 is a take down model, remove the forearm and take off the metal band that connects the forearm to the receiver. Sometimes there is a matching serial number and model code stamped on the surface that faces the wood. At least that's how it is on my 1927 F.

Basic Member
    On the metal part that comes off the forarm under the wood is the same serial as the rifle with an H under the last number. Whatever that means? Is H a model? I just noticed the H is also following the serial number in the wood in front of the latch for the forend. But the H is behind where the hook goes in, the square part.

Basic Member
    David Royal's book says the "H" means it came with a 20 inch barrel, making it a 99H model.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
    David Royal's book says the "H" means it came with a 20 inch barrel, making it a 99H model.
    H's all had straight grip stocks, his has a pistol grip - thus it can't be an H.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain