Thread: 112 Varmit .223

Basic Member

112 Varmit .223

I was going to buy an Axis 11 XP while the rebates are on but I have found a Model 112 Varmit on a local auction site. It has a 26" SS heavy barrel with a lam stock. Looks complete and in good shape. I'm just getting a rifle for target use, 2-300 yards. The heavy, long barrel seems ideal. At $230 now, but I imagine it'll go up. Any info, thoughts? No mag. Is it top load or single shot? It has weaver mounts. When did this stop production? The auction is next week and the rebate ends this month. Any help would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Pics? My 12BVSS has a blind mag. I love the rifle. I'd bid on it if I didn't already have one.

Are you sure it is a weaver mount. The Warne mount looks like a weaver.

If you can go inspect it Given new cost auction may go up rapidly.

Basic Member
    Internet only. This has a completely different stock from the Model 12. SS barrel with a blued action? Receiver? I wasn't clear on the mounts, they are screwed on, not machined in. No accutrigger. I did find one for sale on GB tho. Asking $450. Blued, rather than SS, barrel. I'm not a rifle guy, I shoot 1911s in paper and steel matches, but research seems to indicate you 12 is the next gen with the accutrigger. I can't find any info on the 112 which leads me to believe it's been out of production for a while. I found a 12FV at an LGS for $400ish. Obviously not the same spec as yours, but should work for me at my level for some mid range target shooting. The auction can be found at https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...ation/45671884 if you are interested. I think for the extra money, in spite of the Tupperware stock, going new with a warranty may be in my best interests. Thanks for the get-back.

Team Savage
    Somebody better get all over that!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    112 vs 12 just means it is a long action. What caliber is it?

Stainless barrel and blued action tells me the barrel has been swapped. If so they should say if the barrel is a savage from another rifle or if it an aftermarket (which might be even better). It can be confusing since the barrel has the model information (mine says Model 12, not 12BVSS). You'd have to get the serial number on the action to tell where is came from, especially if the stock is not factory.

So, you could have a Model 112 barrel on an action and stock from some other model. Not horrible, but, you need to know what you are bidding on.

Basic Member
    I apologize for that. It's in .223. With the info from you folks and the 'no inspection' issue, I think I'll pass. Now the question is 26" barrel or 22" for mid distance target, say 200-600 yards. But that's another post.

Basic Member
    I should apologize. It is in the thread title. Duh.

It may still be a good deal. I'd bid on it, just not go as high. With the laminated stock and varmint barrel you have the basis for a really nice rifle. The action being from a different model does not mean that much for accuracy. It would be interesting to know if the action is a short or long. A .223 should be a short action.

In the pictures does it show the model number mark on the barrel? If it is a 112 that kinda dates the barrel back to the time before Savage used the 12 designation for short actions. It still begs the question of the action and what model it came from and if it is a short or long.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...0-Rifle/view/3

Team Savage
    Got a 116 in SS that is a "short action" so you never know what you're getting till you start checking numbers. If it's early, could be a "J" but I doubt it. To me, still looks worth jumping on. Good place to start.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

That's a Model 112 BVSS that was offered from 1994-1998.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain