Thread: new to me savage 99 , what do I have ?

new to me savage 99 , what do I have ?

Added pics..... I think
    I was gifted a savage 99 in 300 savage looks to have been made in 1939. There are some dings on the stock and a wear on the bluing on the barrel. The rifle shows little sign of use. I want to use this for hunting this year. Can anyone tell me what model 99 this is ? value ? I also want to put a sling and either a tang sight or a scope . Does drilling a rear sling swivel affect value? Anyone have a line on a stith scope mount or similar? or is this one not collectible enough to care anyway?

https://imgur.com/QC27OPJ
    https://imgur.com/dAEd0S8

Basic Member
    Pics would help with the ID. Pre war, I wouldn't drill!!

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-in-300-Savage

Here's what other levergunners do to sling a rifle -- and not need to drill any holes:

Make a small loop in a leather sling for the front end of the sling. On the back end, slip 4-5" of sling under the buttplate -- mark the screw holes, and then securing the plate holds the rear part of the sling. If you size it right, it will function as a carry strap or as hasty sling. No, it won't have all the flexibility of an adjustable-length sling (unless you plan for that and make it a 2-piece front/rear sling with that capability) -- but more importantly -- NO, you won't have to drill any holes.

This works great on rifles you hunt with 1 week a year -- and want to be unmolested the other 51 weeks, or for when you sell or appraise it.

Good luck.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

Basic Member
    I'm in touch with a guy that makes a scope mount that fits from the dovetails for the rear sight to the rear tang screws. Not cheap, but no messing with drilling. Prolly cheaper and easier to implement than the Stith mounts if you can find them. Let me know if you need the info. I'm going to get one for my 1922 99 in 300 Sav. Mine is serial 2444xx, what's yours? Mine shoots great but is the breakdown model with the Schnabel forend. I love this rifle and the way it points, it was given to me for some work I did for a guy.

As far as value, they seem to be all over the place. I really can't figure it, I think mine is worth somewhere over $500, but that's just a guess after looking on gunbroker and there's not a whole bunch of pre-war models for sale or sold. I'd like to know too, I'm getting to the point where I need to think about getting rid of things and I don't want them to go to the dump or sold for zip. I can always use the cash.

Mine is in fair shape and the only real glitch is there's a chip out of the stock right behind the rear tang.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old No7 View Post
    Here's what other levergunners do to sling a rifle -- and not need to drill any holes:

Make a small loop in a leather sling for the front end of the sling. On the back end, slip 4-5" of sling under the buttplate -- mark the screw holes, and then securing the plate holds the rear part of the sling. If you size it right, it will function as a carry strap or as hasty sling. No, it won't have all the flexibility of an adjustable-length sling (unless you plan for that and make it a 2-piece front/rear sling with that capability) -- but more importantly -- NO, you won't have to drill any holes.

This works great on rifles you hunt with 1 week a year -- and want to be unmolested the other 51 weeks, or for when you sell or appraise it.

Good luck.

Old No7
    Thanks for the tip!

You have a pre war 99 R and it looks like a nice one too. The double line around the forearm and the fluted comb make it easy to identify. Pre war Rs are some what uncommon and the sales prices usually reflect it. I wouldn't put any holes in it if it were mine.

Lee

From what I'm seeing something has already been done to that gun.

Why would there be a front sling stud and not a rear one?

Take the forearm and the buttplate off and see if the numbers stamped on the back of the forearm, the buttplate and the back of the stock match the serial number of the gun.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    When I replaced the forearm on my '99, the s/n and model "F" were stamped on the wood side of the metal retainer.