Thread: Old guy, new rifle

Old guy, new rifle

I am 70 years old and have not owned a gun for over 50 years. I'm a lefty and looking at a Savage 22lr Mark 2 GL. Very honest question (non trying to sound condescending), what is the advantages of buying a more expensive Mark 2 ? This will be just a plinking and rat rifle for me. Thank you for your time.

We are about the same age, and I bought Lefty Mark II, only draw back, Savage rifles I have found are little heavy, I also Axis 270 Win left handed.
    Here is my Mark II, accurate you be surprised.

I would shop around, this rifle is expensive, it's much better the the Ruger 10/22.
    USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

Basic Member
    My MKII shoots slightly under an inch at 100 yards. These are very accurate rifles.

I have a Stevens 84C that is probably a bit older than you, Squire. ;-). Looks like it takes the same magazine was the Mark II! An investment!

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

The Mark II G is your base level Mark II with a wood stock. The more expensive Mark II will be a BV model which will have a little nicer stock and a heavy barrel. Will make the gun front heavy but more accurate. There is the FV-SR wich has a plastic stock but a threaded fluted heavy barrel. There are SS models which are great for all weather conditions. I think you be happy with your Mark II G for its lighter weight but still has a wood stock over the cheap plastic. Put a decent little scope on it and have fun. Hope this answers your question as I understood it.