Thread: First Savage build, lots of questions

Ryan55555

First Savage build, lots of questions

I picked up a Savage 110 w/ accutrigger today at a pawn shop for very cheap. It is chambered in 7RM, standard shank, with an internal magazine.

I want to make a good long range deer hunting gun, not very heavy and without a really long barrel.

A 7 WSM built to shoot the berger 180's on a long action has caught my interest.

What is good barrel length for this build?

How about the magazine, what to do so the WSM will feed good?

Need to get a barrel ordered, would like to have it pre-chambered ready to thread on.

Anyone have experience with a custom 7WSM barrel I would like to hear some suggestions as were to order it from, I have no experience with aftermarket barrels.

Many more questions to come.

Thanks,

Ryan

dcloco

Re: First Savage build, lots of questions

Are you reloading or buying ammo?

You might want to shoot that 7 Rem Mag before you buy a barrel.

Last fall, I specifically built a 7 Rem Mag hunting rifle. 7RM will definitely shoot to 1000 yards on deer sized game with 162's or heavier.

Ryan55555

I am reloading.

I could go shoot some factory rounds out of it and see how it does. I do not have a 7RM die but could probably find someone that has does.

The stock is in pretty rough shape and does not appear to fit well.

hailstone

Very little difference between the two cartridges performance. Only real difference is long action verses short action which too some is not really an issue. Most 7mm Rem Mag ammo is running around twenty dollar bill while the 7mm WSM is more than double. I managed to score three cases of the ammo for very reasonable $12 per box twenty. Brass alone was running same cost as loaded factory ammo so it was a no brainer.

358Hammer

Many would argue that the 7 Rem Mag is is good as it gets. With that and the fact that it chambers great without issue and the factory cartridges are cheaper along with standard brass, if it shoots then you have a winner. Put a nice stock on it and I would think you found a great deal.

Make sure the inside of the barrel is completely void of copper. Check and make sure the rear action tang is not touching the stock along with the barrel channel free floated and take some time and shoot for group.

You might actually have one of theose famous one hole Savage barrels. I have several.

Neal

Team Savage

For a hunting rifle I dont think its worth the $ to have a new barrel made.
    A 7mm RM will kill anything a 7WSM, 284, 280 etc will kill.
    For me for a hunter I want like a 22-24" barrel for hunting and a sporter profile.

If it was me and building a custom 7mm target rifle I would probably build a straight 284
    or a 280, 1:8 twist to shoot 180 gr bergers.
    284 preferred mostly due to very high quality brass is available.
    You can hit 2950-3000 with the 180 gr berger loaded over RL17 in the 284.

With a 284, 7wsm etc target rifle you would want at least a 26" heavy barrel.

If your 7mm RM is a 9.5 twist or there abouts just shoot the 162 amax.
    Its a great bullet and cheap with a very high BC and a SD over .3

I TKOd a 250#++ boar hog at about 300 yards with a 7mm-08 with one and it dropped him on the spot.

Basic Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a long action with the mag bolt face, and a blind mag. I am trying to find a different blind mag for the new action I have (my current 7mm WSM built on a long action has bottom metal that takes AI 300 Win Mags). I may have to adjust/trim the magazine "lips," that hold down the cartridge. I can push in a WSM into the case, but it takes alot of force to get the round into the magazine well. There are plenty of gunsmiths that will cut the thread on a barrel blank to fit the standard shank action.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish