Thread: New Axis

Basic Member

New Axis

Snagged an Axis today for 236 shipped. After rebate it'll set me back a 176 bucks. I've got a couple scopes to pick from sitting in a drawer in my closet. Amazon gift card is getting me a 20 moa base. Cannot wait for my FFL to let me know it's arrived. Just wanted people to celebrate with! When it comes in, I'll do the standard work on the stock, stiffening it up, bedding the action, and adding some weight. If it shoots as well as my 243, I should have a heck of a rifle when it's done.
    A painted turd is still a turd...

Basic Member
    What a good deal you got! What caliber did you buy? I have a couple of Axis set up to swap barrels and really like mine. Where in OK you live, we used to come to Tulsa a couple times a year when wife's stepmother was living.

Basic Member
    Got it in 270. I already have an axis in 243 and then a couple of other 30 Cal rifles, so the 270 seemed to for the gap in my arsenal. I'd love to track down a 24 or 26 inch barrel for it eventually, just to milk a few more fps out of it, but it's a good round regardless. I'm in Altus in the southwest corner of the state, but am finishing a masters in Tulsa and find myself there fairly often

Basic Member
    Been out of internet for a few days, getting fiber optic hooked up- much faster. I have had a 270 on one of my Axis setups and it did OK for a deer rifle ( 22 inch sporter ) and just finished putting together a 25-06 on a 111 setup, have not shot it yet. Keep an eye on the want ads and get the tools to swap barrels and you'll get hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by henryholub View Post
    Got it in 270. I already have an axis in 243 and then a couple of other 30 Cal rifles, so the 270 seemed to for the gap in my arsenal. I'd love to track down a 24 or 26 inch barrel for it eventually, just to milk a few more fps out of it, but it's a good round regardless. I'm in Altus in the southwest corner of the state, but am finishing a masters in Tulsa and find myself there fairly often
    Does your new one have the new style stock? If so, does it seem any tougher in the pistol grip/wrist area?
    Axis .223 with 4x12x40 Redfield Revolution
    Stainless Axis .30-06 with 3.5x10x40 VX3 Leupold.

Basic Member
    It doesn't. I'm interested to know the answer to your question as well, but it wasnt worth another 100 to find out. That's nearly Boyd's money

Basic Member
    That's a smoking deal on the Axis, where was that from? I also have a 243 Aixis I bought a year or so ago and it shoots great even with the plastic stock. All I did to it is to add a Basix trigger, Talley Lightweight rings and a Zeiss Terra 3x9 scope.
    Altus is a decent looking area. I drove from Phoenix to Duncan this spring to hunt turkeys. A long drive but it was worth it. Oh, and I also sent the bolt to LRI and had it fluted as my primary goal was to have a lighweight hunting rifle.

Great deal, I also have Axis II 270 Win, loads of fun at the range, using Leopold Mark II 3X9-40 scope.
    Have fun shooting.

USAF/RET 1966-1990
    Aim High

Basic Member
    I got it from g4g guns online. Have a good friend with an FFL. I like Altus. Small Town, friendly neighbors. Id bet you did some decent turkey hunting. Our area is covered up in them. I have two flocks of 40+ birds on the 440 I hunt outside of town.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by henryholub View Post
    I got it from g4g guns online. Have a good friend with an FFL. I like Altus. Small Town, friendly neighbors. Id bet you did some decent turkey hunting. Our area is covered up in them. I have two flocks of 40+ birds on the 440 I hunt outside of town.
    Sorry, been in Mexico deer hunting. I did extremely well with three birds in 24 hours.

I just shot my axis 22-250 yesterday, one of the groups was the best I have ever shot maybe .625. the rest were at or around 1 inch, except for the first one which was a gong show. Ammo was AE 50gr jhp. i need to get some more cases so i can build a good load.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mg4201 View Post
    I just shot my axis 22-250 yesterday, one of the groups was the best I have ever shot maybe .625. the rest were at or around 1 inch, except for the first one which was a gong show. Ammo was AE 50gr jhp. i need to get some more cases so i can build a good load.
    Try some 53-55gr bullets.

Have 2 Axis rifles 308 and 6.5 creedmoor they both shoot close to a inch with stock factory trigger. Great rifles, a true value hunting tool. Hoping savage will make Axis in new caliber 350 legend. I Would be first in line to buy one.