Just joined here. So sorry for probably a common question and how to fix a crack in the tang of the butt stick.

I recently inherited this gun that has remained in my family for a mong time. Perhaps since new (1946 300 sav)

the crack will “work” and open up a bit when I torque the butt stock. Otherwise the but and forearm are beautiful old hardwood.

So the obvious question is how to fix properly. Will opening up a bit and putting in some sort of super low viscosity glue and then close and clamp work? If so, what glue is recommended? Or will it have to be followed up with drilling and screwing in a pin be required?

What will hurt the value of the gun more? Should I do nothing at all?

I have heard of ”accuglass” and also “hot stuff” glue for this type of repair. Are these the best glue or is there something better out there?

How is hot stuff any different than any other CA “superglue” that you can buy at the local hardware store??

sorry for the newbie questions.

Not sure I will hunt with this gun, but I sure want to keep it in the family and at least have a solid gun for fun at the range. And occasionally a trip into the field for whitetail!