Thread: WL Mowrey .244

Smile WL Mowrey .244

Hey, I was hoping someone could help me with some information on a Savage 110L I inherited from my grandfather, it was his competition shooter, however, I believe several parts on it to be aftermarket, namely the barrel/trigger/bolt. I believe it is a 1960 model. Anyways, the barrel is stamped W L Mowrey .244 (Does this mean I can shoot 6mm Remington out of it), I couldn't find much information via google, I'm guessing this company is long dead or did not produce barrels for very long, any information or links would be much appreciated. Cheers.

That guy was a gun builder in Texas. He was big into black powder rifles from what little I gather. I have nothing to help you accept that making the jump from ".244" to "6mm Remington" is inadvisable.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Damn that's a bummer, I can't find .244 anywhere. I've read that .244 and 6mm are the same round, just renamed. Thanks for the info on the Mowrey.

.244 is a caliber not a cartridge. What you have found but Im not sure it is sinking in is that there is caliber and there is cartridge. In each caliber there are many cartridges. This is an example of cartridges. As you can see they are not limited to calibers.

Thanks man, I guess I'll take it to a gunsmith and see what I can safely shoot out of it.

Best thing to do is to take a casting of the chamber with CerroSafe that you can then measure at different points to determine precisely what cartridge it's chambered for.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Here is an article on the 244 Remington and the eventual name change, but I believe
    Jim is correct and you should probably make a chamber cast to verify.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/relo...-244-remington

Great sleuthing GaryB

Cot Jockey.....carry on.

Basic Member
    Cot Jockey......now that's FUNNY, RH. Thanks for the giggle
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.