Thread: Another Barrel Question

Another Barrel Question

Hi just wanting to get ya'lls opinion on a couple of things. I have an axis in 6.5 creedmoor I've added rockite to the stock. My problem is I have a neck injury and the recoil is just too much. I've thought about adding a brake. My question is would you go ahead and rebarrel then add the brake, or just add the brake to the factory barrel? Do y'all think the brake will make that big of a difference? I'm not ready to limit myself to only rimfire, but right now that's what I'm limited to.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I would take the rifle to a gunsmith and add the brake to the factory barrel.
    It will be accurate and low recoil for minimum money spent.

If you hand load, you can always download the charge - run a reduced charge load.

These rifles shoot sub-MOA with hand loads and have accurate factory barrels on a budget action.

Once you start custom building, the costs start adding up.

If you don't hand load, put the money in that area first.

Basic Member
    If you are that recoil sensitive then why did you pick the 6.5CM? I would have recommended a .223 or maybe a .204

But, since you have it, then I would just download a bit. You can also add some weight to the stock to cut down felt recoil.

The expense of a muzzle brake would lead me to suggest a new barrel in smaller caliber or even a new rifle, given the cost of an Axis.

FWIW, I love my Axis in .223 It shoots less than MOA and frequently is a half MOA rifle (if I can shoot that well on that day :) ). Very low recoil, even with 77gn bullets.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    What recoil pad does it have? Would be a lot cheaper and quieter to put on a thick and cushy...

Basic Member
    243 with Hornady lite loads is a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you are that recoil sensitive then why did you pick the 6.5CM? I would have recommended a .223 or maybe a .204

But, since you have it, then I would just download a bit. You can also add some weight to the stock to cut down felt recoil.

The expense of a muzzle brake would lead me to suggest a new barrel in smaller caliber or even a new rifle, given the cost of an Axis.

FWIW, I love my Axis in .223 It shoots less than MOA and frequently is a half MOA rifle (if I can shoot that well on that day :) ). Very low recoil, even with 77gn bullets.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
    I wasn't recoil sensitive when I bought it. A few herniated disks in the neck tends to make you that way.
    I'm loading just above minimum loads for it now.

Basic Member
    You can also shoot a lighter bullet to help with recoil.

Basic Member
    In response to your question about muzzle brake and recoil reduction, there's an article online that ranks 30 Cal brakes by their reduction. The top one on the list pulls down recoil by 63 percent or so. While the reduction will likely not be as great for the 6.5, it won't be insignificant and is a decent route to pursue. Do, however, be prepared for a significant increase in muzzle blast. Is the rifle primarily for hunting, or just shooting for fun? To me, that holds some influence over the direction you go.
    A painted turd is still a turd...

Basic Member
    Sorry to hear about the recent spine issues.

If rebarrel then I'd still go with the smaller bullets. If cash is an issue then maybe sell the 6.5 and buy a new rifle rather than pay for a new barrel. By the time you pay for the barrel (and brake) you'll have more money in it than a new rifle.

Basic Member
    I am in the exact same predicament as you. Almost! I had a herniated/fragmented disk in my neck c6/c7 lvl. I had an artificial disk replacement in November and am still on the mend. My wife picked up a lead sled for me and it’s a must have. As far as hunting goes the brake is a good idea but I’d still add some weight to the stock. I had high hopes just never felt up to hunting this year. Hope you get yours resolved soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by piroguejoe View Post
    I am in the exact same predicament as you. Almost! I had a herniated/fragmented disk in my neck c6/c7 lvl. I had an artificial disk replacement in November and am still on the mend. My wife picked up a lead sled for me and it’s a must have. As far as hunting goes the brake is a good idea but I’d still add some weight to the stock. I had high hopes just never felt up to hunting this year. Hope you get yours resolved soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are in the same boat. I'm fused at the same level. They are going to do a replacement on level c3. I'm staring down another fusion at l5 s1 holding out as long as I can on that one.
    From the research I've done it looks like a muzzle break is the best option. I just wasn't sure if the factory barrel was worth doing it on. It looks like the most cost effective. I've added rockite to my stocks. I also use a sled. I loaded some 143 grain noslers up because that's what I could find local. I will try lighter bullets and loads. I doubt that helps much at this point as even a mag through my AR is painful.

Will your neck heal or will it be like this forever? Are you hunting or just target? I got a medium barrelled 22-250 with a brake and I can watch the bullet impact. Dream to shoot just have hearing protection.

Get healed up first. Then reload down to a lighter level, thick pad, add a little weight to rifle. Or get a 223 for a while. Might take 2 years to recover. 223 in a Boyds At-1 stock, much fun. Then you have 2 nice rifles to play with. Ya, I know!

Basic Member
    They do sell reduced recoil ammunition. Just a thought before threading the barrel.

Basic Member
    I would recommend going with a 22-250 before I would add a brake. If carrying a heavy rifle isn't a problem, I would get a 12FV and enjoy not having any recoil. Then when you heal up, you still will have the 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting down the road.
    Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your neck, I would just put a Witt clamp on brake I have a couple one is on a 300 WM shooting 175g Berger’s and the recoil is about like a 243! Catch em on sale I gave 64$ for one! The other one is on my 300 WSM