Thread: Clp22?

Basic Member

Clp22?

I've acquired a 1/2 gallon of CLP22 manufactured by the Sentinel CO up in Canada. This oil is almost clear in color and has a funky smell, but it seems to be hell on carbon.
    I cleaned my M70 223 to what I thought was going to be clean, but no. I started out with the foaming bore cleaner and let it sit overnight. Then patched it out dry. Then ran a patch of Hoppes through it followed by a bronze brush . Went back and forth wet patches, wet brush, patch out till after brushing all I got was light grey on the patches. Clean. Right? Then just for the sake of it I ran a wet patch of CLP22 and followed it with a dry patch. Came out looking pretty dark so I wet the brush with the CLP and gave it a few strokes. Ran a patch through and came out black as coal! What's going on here? Could there still be that much carbon left in a bore after such a good cleaning? I've never seen any other CLP melt carbon like this stuff either.

lead?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    lead?
    Rifle has never seen a lead bullet. This stuff was jet black carbon. Just like what you get after a range session and run the first patch through it. I wish I had a bore scope to check, but I'm a poor bastard. I'm thinking it may have the dreaded hard carbon in front of the throat, but as long as it still is accurate I'm not going to wear out the barrel trying to get it all out. I found it strange that I don't seem to be getting nearly as much black on the patches after brushing with Hoppes as I am with the CLP22