I have used 223 loads that were 0.020 thousandths shorter than published length. When they get to be shorter by 0.050 or more, I don't know, In general, how short can you go against published data? I'm more concerned about reduced case volume and pressure and not accuracy issues. I assume that one would start at the low end of powder charges and work up like any other load but maybe someone has some better advice.

In determining where to start with bullet seating depth, I use either a Lock N Load or a Sinclair seating depth tool. Once the approximate maximum length is determined, I test it by making up a few dummy rounds and tweaking the seating depth until I find the depth where the rifling no longer marks the bullet. Using this method, some bullets end up being seated longer than book value but they shoot fine (69 SMK and 53 V-Max are examples). The ones that concern me are those that end up being much shorter than published lengths. This is before I have even backed them off the lands by 0.020 or so. Two examples include;

The SMK 52g HPBT measures at 2.200 max length (vs. published length of 2.250). It shot fine but I stopped using it due to my hesitation over the short length.

The Hornady 52g HPBT measures at 2.173 max length (vs. published length of 2.230). In a dummy round, there was only about 0.050 of straight side remaining on the bullet after I backed it off by 0.020. I spoke with Hornady Tech service but they didn't offer much advice other than suggest there was an error in my methods. I haven't shot this load yet and am looking for advice on how to proceed or maybe just move on to a different bullet.

I use Winchester 748 for all of my 223 loads.

I have also had problems with multiple types of Hornady V-Max factory loads being too long in both of my Savage 10 223 barrels. Some were so tight the bullets were ripped out when I unloaded the rounds after realizing there was a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Bill