Thread: 300 Savage 99 G

Basic Member

300 Savage 99 G

I've been hunting with this rifle since
    the mid 70's and killed lots of Deer Bears and Hogs and never a problem but yesterday it snapped on a couple loads I was trying out and I noticed my firing pin indention wasn't very deep so I took it apart and cleaned and oiled if but I'm afraid I'm going to need a new firing pin spring so can anyone tell me where I can order one? maybe even a P/N. Does Savage Arms still stock some of these vintage rifle parts? Thanks

Basic Member
    Try Numrich and/or E bay.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Try Numrich and/or E bay.
    I did look on Numrich and found what looks to be what I need "Main Spring" only concern is in the description 99G isn't mentioned but it looks like it would work.....these models are listed :Model: 99, 99A SER A, 99C, 99C SER A, 99DL(M), 99E, 99E SER A, 99DE, 99F, 99PE.

Basic Member
    There are parts on e bay. I'm not sure if there were any differences between internal parts but I doubt it. If you have the assembly removed, I'd compare it to some of the pictures on e bay. Your FP tip may be worn down or broken. I know the pins were originally pinned in place, don't know about any newer were made, but the 99G was discontinued in about 1940so it's no doubt and older one!!
    Good luck!!

The models Numrichs lists are for post mil 99's, not sure if they are the same or not.

Alot of the post mil guns have stamped internal parts instead of machined, they may have changed some parts slightly.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    There are parts on e bay. I'm not sure if there were any differences between internal parts but I doubt it. If you have the assembly removed, I'd compare it to some of the pictures on e bay. Your FP tip may be worn down or broken. I know the pins were originally pinned in place, don't know about any newer were made, but the 99G was discontinued in about 1940so it's no doubt and older one!!
    Good luck!!
    I went ahead and ordered the main spring even though it didn't have the 99G listed...I looked at several models and they all had the same main spring part number. You are correct my firing pin is pinned and if the new spring doesn't fix the problem I'll order a firing pin that is also pinned on.