Thread: New Axis owner have a rings question

New Axis owner have a rings question

Hello -

Just purchased a new Axis II in 30-06 for deer hunting next fall. $369 (no shipping) plus the extension on the Savage $60 rebate made it too good to pass up. It came with a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope. I would like to swap the bases and rings and go with either

Talley Lightweights - do I need the extended high or medium rings so that I won't have problems with the bolt handle touching the scope?
    or
    Combination of Weaver Extended Multi Slot Base (0 MOA) and Grand Slam steel rings, Medium or High so no bolt handle issue?

Can any one share pictures of either in use?

Thank you,

Frank

I'm not answering your question, nor do I have a picture of what you ask, but if you're going to hunt with this rifle have you considered one-piece rings? See if this link works. I have used DNZ on all my rifles - medium height.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LK3EA2swdWF2dsd47

It's just something to consider.

TNBillyEarl

EDIT 2 DAYS LATER: I should have added this - for low mounts I would suggest DNZ Hunt Master. These are 2-piece. That pic above is 2-7x35. But like other posters mentioned, even with low rings you can get a Nikon 40mm on.

Thank you TNBillyEarl - I'll look into the DNZ mount.

Basic Member
    With a 40mm scope, you can generally get by with low rings on anything...........from my experience. Even my 50mm scopes I use low rings on a rail. I have a Weaver rail with Burris Signature Zee low rings on my Axis .223. No problems. I generally don't like extended rails. It interferes with moving the scope back without the bell hitting the rail extension. I personally have never had a need for more rail on the front.

Basic Member
    I use a Weaver 1 piece rail and medium Burris Z rings with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. This gives about an 1/8" of bolt clearance. I would likely opt for the higher EGW rail if I was given the choice again.

Basic Member
    Axis II HB with Nikon Bushmaster 4-12x40, similar in size to your 3-9. It's on low (.400") Talley single Extended rings. As you can see the scope physically fits fine. But I did have to notch the bolt handle to get the eye piece to clear without having to be careful. I would personally rather notch it than raise my scope way up in the air. With low Talleys the other thing you can run into is the rear mount running into the focus ring...but not an issue here and getting the single extended mount can give you some room to play.

Attachment 5515

Basic Member
    celltech,nice lookin stock and mag. May I ask what they are?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTGV View Post
    celltech,nice lookin stock and mag. May I ask what they are?
    That is an Axis Hardwood model so it's the "stock" stock that I shot in Brownell's AlumaHyde FDE paint. I also drilled out the butt to save some ounces and shot the hand grip areas in grit paint before the FDE coats.

The magazine is the OEM Axis mag grafted to part of a Magpul Pmag. Holds 14 rounds of .223...

Attachment 5516

Basic Member
    Ah ok thanks. I did'nt recognize it with the paint. I was hoping there was another aftermarket option I was not aware of. I have seen that mag mod before.

Basic Member
    It's honestly not a bad stock to begin with. It's a solid piece of hardwood and comes with pillars already in it. The factory stained finish leaves a lot to be desired but looks 10X better if painted, IMHO. I just finished another frankenmag that holds 20 rounds for another Axis action I have.

celltech - I notice you have replaced the bolt handle on your Axis (nice looking rifle by the way) - did the stock bolt handle clear with the low Talley rings prior to your mod?

Basic Member
    The bolt handle is OEM, the knob is not. I have cut/ground all the knobs off my Axis bolt handles and installed much larger ones. I believe this one is a PTG Tactical. And here is a pic to show the handle grind...

Attachment 5517

Basic Member
    Celltech- I'd toyed with painting my wooden axis stock (your description that the finish of the stock leaves a lot to be desired is the understatement of the century) but had held off because I was unsure of how it would look. Thank you for completely convincing me with one picture.
    A painted turd is still a turd...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by henryholub View Post
    Celltech- I'd toyed with painting my wooden axis stock (your description that the finish of the stock leaves a lot to be desired is the understatement of the century) but had held off because I was unsure of how it would look. Thank you for completely convincing me with one picture.
    Like anything else involving painting you will spend 10 times the amount of effort prepping it than the actual painting. I taped everything off on the inside and lightly sanded down the while thing, and then cleaned it with mineral spirits. For what it's worth I have been pleased with the AlumaHyde cold enamal paint...seems pretty tough so far.

Basic Member
    I have the Talley Lightweight one piece Rings/Base which are I believe medium and a Zeiss Terra 3x9 with no problems on a stock Axis. I'll see if I can post up a pic tonight.

Thank you, prdatr. Did you use the extended Talleys?

Basic Member
    I don't believe so. I think they only make one type. I tend to only ever buy Talley's. I have put them on my Remington 700 and a couple of Tikkas.