Thread: odd LBC stamp

odd LBC stamp

Based on the great info in this thread http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...nufacture-Info My very nice 99 in 250-3000 Savage serial # 571xxx was manufactured in 1950. The LBC stamp is very different from any I have seen. It is not a light stamping and has no oval or even any part of an oval. It is not any letter or part of a letter either. I cannot attach a picture yet as this is my first post. The best description I can think of is a sideways keyhole with a small gap in the center of the round portion of the keyhole. This is a link to a picture I posted in another forum I am a member of.

https://www.shootersforum.com/leverg...-mfg-help.html

I am just wondering if this is often seen, or an oddity. And is there any significance to this marking.

It's not a date code. Looks more like an inspectors mark. The rifle was made in 1950 so try checking out the barrel for the date code, will have a B behind the number.
    Savage- "never say never".

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    It's not a date code. Looks more like an inspectors mark. The rifle was made in 1950 so try checking out the barrel for the date code, will have a B behind the number.
    Inspectors cartouche sounds right to me.

The left side of the barrel reads:
    .250-3000 SAVAGE followed by an oval with SP in the middle. I assumed this stood for Savage Proof.

The 2 line address on the barrel reads:

SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION
    CHICOPEE FALLS, MASS. U.S.A.

right side of barrel reads:
    HIGH-PRESSURE STEEL PROOF TESTED

No markings on barrel under forearm. The flat round rear of forearm has a 5 over the serial# and AX below the serial#

The marks on the forearm are assembly marks as well, under your buttstock on the stock should be the same markings.

Strange that you can't find a date code anywhere on it.

I wonder if it could be a back door tool room rifle?

Lunch box special? Doubtful, I'm pretty sure it's got a date code somewhere. Try taking the butt stock off and checking around the receiver, heard of a few of them that were stamped there. Not every 99 has a date code on the lever boss, while probably 99% of them were a few were stamped on the receiver as the wood hadn't been fitted to them yet so a couple guys got lazy and just stamped them where ever the punch hit metal.

Good call. Left side of receiver above the lever boss has 2 attempts at a stamping, but the machining is extremely rough in this area and the stamps didn't take well. Appears to be an oval with 27 followed by an undetermined letter. Only the top portion of the letter is visible and only in one of the stampings. It does appear that it could be a B but very hard to tell. Also there are two vertical hash marks stamped before the two ovals.

also S29 is stamped on the butt plate and the buttstock. Guessing these are more assembly marks

Ya, funny, the forearm should have been marked S29 as well then. Something could have gone wrong on final fitting and they just grabbed another forearm I guess.

Or the original forearm was damage and replaced at some point.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

The forearm and stock match well, but that really means nothing. The forearm does have the correct serial # included, no serial # on the buttstock or butt plate. BTW the checkering is horrendous fore and aft, looks like something I might have done.

Haha, maybe the previous owner figured he could recut the checkering without taking it to a smith.

The checkering appears to be original to me but anything is possible. I will post some pictures when I am able just for reference and your thoughts. The barrel blueing looks almost new with a little muzzle wear and some discoloration that looks like it is from a lot of time spent in the safe. The lever retains it’s case hardening colors. It is topped with an El Paso Weaver K 4 in Weaver pivot mounts. I had never seen those mounts until I acquired this rifle.