Thread: My Winter Project: .30-06-> 7mm Rem Mag

Basic Member

My Winter Project: .30-06-> 7mm Rem Mag

This winter, I have a craving to build a 7mm Rem Mag. It will be a moderate range deer and bear rifle, and maybe a gun I take on western hunts in the future.

I’m going to start with a 111 in .30-06. My plan is to swap the bolt head, put an aftermarket barrel and stock on it, and eventually bed it. I’ve done barrel and stock swaps before, but never converted a long action to a magnum.

1) Does anyone have a visual aid, or perhaps a video they can share on how to do a bolt face swap on a Savage?

2) Do I need to replace anything else, besides the mag well (blind mag), in order to get it to function? All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, and wish me luck!

Basic Member
    Look it up on YouTube. I have watched the videos several times and once when I couldn't figure out the reassembly.
    www.thescarletsea.org - stories from in between my ears.

Basic Member
    The magazine box and follower, and bolthead are the only things you need to change.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megastink View Post
    This winter, I have a craving to build a 7mm Rem Mag. It will be a moderate range deer and bear rifle, and maybe a gun I take on western hunts in the future.

I’m going to start with a 111 in .30-06. My plan is to swap the bolt head, put an aftermarket barrel and stock on it, and eventually bed it. I’ve done barrel and stock swaps before, but never converted a long action to a magnum.

1) Does anyone have a visual aid, or perhaps a video they can share on how to do a bolt face swap on a Savage?

2) Do I need to replace anything else, besides the mag well (blind mag), in order to get it to function? All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, and wish me luck!
    if you don’t have your donor action already, I have a 111 Long Action Magnum Boltface action for sale in the classifieds section. I was shooting a 7 Rem mag barrel on it. No need to swap bolt heads. Just throwing it out there.