Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Savage LRP

Basic Member

rmkey......i find that the correct bullet is paramount to any other variable. powder being second but considerably. you hav tried several bullets but perhaps not the best one. i hav a mod 12 flat back in 6.5-284 that wil only shoot 130g bergers worth a hoot. its 3/8" and evrything else is 1 3/8"+. kinda crazy!!!!

When the weather allows I am loading some Sierra 142 SMK 0.010 off the lands and a powder ladder from 42.0 to 43.5 g of H4350. That’s where most find the powder node then adjust seating depth. Not comfortable seating into the lands. Haven’t tried the 130 at hybrids yet. I did go from vld hunting 140 to hybrid hunters.

Basic Member
    To reinsert the bolt on a side lever model-

Press the lever. Gently pull back on the trigger. This will allow the sear to move which will clear the way for the bolt to move. Release the trigger while still holding down the lever, gently push the bolt into the action. Don't force anything. It will work.

Quote Originally Posted by rmkey View Post
    When the weather allows I am loading some Sierra 142 SMK 0.010 off the lands and a powder ladder from 42.0 to 43.5 g of H4350. That’s where most find the powder node then adjust seating depth. Not comfortable seating into the lands. Haven’t tried the 130 at hybrids yet. I did go from vld hunting 140 to hybrid hunters.
    Sounds like your on the right track, anytime you test components the use of wind flags is paramount" watch the wind cycles and shoot during consistent conditions , you may have to wait a couple minutes then run your shots.
    there's always wind the question is how much and which direction. Stay at a distance that your comfortable with. If you can post a picture of your ladder test nodes are fairly easy to identify.
    I'm new to this forum and unfamiliar with posting pictures of my own testing, any help is appreciated

Basic Member
    Everyone has their favorite cleaning method and materials. There's lots to choose from and some are really good, some are just marketing fodder. I prefer Gunslick Foaming Bore cleaner https://www.amazon.com/Gunslick-9209.../dp/B000U3Z5TI to remove copper and most powder fouling, followed by Ed's Red https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod19936.aspx and while your ordering that get some of these too, they're really good a removing built up carbon and copper. https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...lets/index.htm Get the intensive ones.

Lastly, get some kind of bore scope or endoscope to see if what you're doing is working. I find these to be all you need until you want or need to be looking with 40X at your lands. I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Bor.../dp/B01MYTI2HV

Don't forget to buy a chamber guide. Here's a inexpensive one: https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/BORE_GUIDES.html Saves getting cleaning gunk in your magazine and stock.

Good shooting!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    rmkey,

If your .260 12 LRP, which uses .264 caliber bullets too, has any of the same preferences of my 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor with its 26 inch barrel, then it will shoot the 142 SMKs and 147 ELD-M bullets really accurately.
    However, to get the best accuracy, my 12 LRP prefers IMR4451 Enduron powder slightly more than IMR4350 or RL-17 compared when shooting the same bullets.

My other 6.5mm CM (10T-SR) shoots the 130 TMKs best with IMR4350 and RL-17.
    It also shoots 140 gr ELD-M bullets almost as accurately but with IMR4350.

The 12 LRP shoots best with Lapua brass and CCI BR-4 small rifle primers. It loses just a bit of accuracy using CCI-400 primers. It doesn't like Federal 205M primers.
    The large rifle primers with Norma or Hornady brass don't shoot as accurately and the primer pockets don't seem to last as well - I was shooting Federal 210M primers that work great in my .308s.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    You young whippersnapper! :) I`m 66, lol

I am having a hard time with my cheap Axis. It has about 800rds through it and I dread the day it wears out. I love it, especially now that it has a decent scope and the Boyd`s stock.

The BVSS only has 300rds through it but it keeps getting better. If I had taken more care breaking it in I might be shooting better groups by now.

FWIW, after trying several copper cleaners, I finally got some KG12. That stuff is like magic. I've done the ammonia overnight thing, Sweets, Hoppes, and M-Pro 7. They work ok but takes forever compared to the KG12. The KG12 works as described, ie, apply with swab/brush, let sit for 30 seconds, scrub, patch. Repeat a couple times. When really fouled it took 6 applications to get all the copper out.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
    Your both whippersnappers, I'm 72!

Basic Member
    From my perspective, you're all whippersnappers.
    I just turned 75 and am still reloading and shooting over 5,600 rounds a year.

Basic Member
    Glad to see there is more older shooters on here than I thought!! I'm 73 will be 74 in July and still building rifles, hunting and shooting.

You guys make me feel young.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    You're welcome :)

I have just recently started shooting a lot again since I finally retired. Have a lot more time for loading and range shooting. When I was in my 40's the base I was stationed at had a range less than 10min from my house. Those were the years when I cast and shot around a thousand rounds a year.

Between rifles and pistols I average a few thousand a year now.

I have a borescope on the way. Thanks

I'm not following how a 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmoor would share similar load data when the only thing in common is bullet diameter

Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    I'm not following how a 260 Remington and a 6.5 Creedmoor would share similar load data when the only thing in common is bullet diameter
    Rim diameter, base diameter, similar body diameter and taper. According to Chuck Hawks, the average difference in water capacity between the two cases is 1 grain.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/case_capacity_matters.html

260vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Different parent case, different case length, different shoulder angle, different Pressure, base line twist rates, different powder, different"

All of the same powders work and within a half a grain usually. You do have a point though.
    I never realized the tremendous differences. 308, .30TC, 6.5 Creedmoor. I could not find a pic with the four cartridges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12